PDA

View Full Version : When to burst?

nDR01d
02-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Hi there DB, I'm using your custom lemony yellow colour - which is looking sweet btw - and I have CG Dingotone I would like to use around the outside as a burst colour so it goes from gold to yellow. I'm up to day 4 of the yellow drying out although it has only just been reaching 25 degrees here, so I reckon it could do with another 2 or 3 days before I would say it's cured. So my question (after all that lead up) is this: Do I go with the CG now while the yellow is still curing, or wait till it's settled in and cured?
Thanks.

wokkaboy
02-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Hi NDriod, that yellow is looking nice. What model LP kit is this there doesn't appear to be any flame maple stripes and the body looks mahogany. Is it a quilted maple top ? I see the humbucker ring holes have been drilled.
If the temperature has only been hitting 25 degrees (was 42 degrees in Perth last week !) it would be safer to wait another 2 or 3 days before applying the CG burst. Best play on the safe side and I'd say DB would say the same.
In the meantime can you work on the neck, have you cut the headstock shape and stained the headstock face yet ?

Brendan
02-01-2016, 09:46 AM
nDR01d - normally you do bursts all at the same time - tricky, but means that the stains can all blend. That said, my bursts to date have been limited. Wokka may be able to provide more help - he's king of the bursts.

wokkaboy
02-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Hi Ndroid, Bman is correct it's best to do the burst at the same time. It should still be ok to do a burst with the base coat of lemon.
Probably best to wait a couple of days curing then do your CG edge and let that cure.
Hopefully the darker line on the edge will be visible so the coat after that I'd use both colours and blend them in the transition. Use 3 rags, one for CG, one for lemon and one for blending.
Please post some pics after you have done the CG edge. I usually decide a rough width for the darker edge and try and keep it uniform and the top of the LP I got all darker to the neck pup cavity then work the edges, if that makes sense !

nDR01d
02-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Well that's good news! I always look for an excuse to get out of housework/yard work to do more guitar work! I will follow your advice i̶m̶p̶a̶t̶i̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ as best I can.
EDIT: Wokks question about which guitar it is...
Answer: Quilted Maple bolt on neck, with Mahogany back. And no I have quite got around to the neck yet, other than designing the headstock. This will not be a controversial "Swan Head" but a 'Catenary Curve (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary)' inverted. Not that I switched for the judges...;)

wokkaboy
02-01-2016, 10:44 AM
no worries NDroid. Think most of the forum are like that, they put off any housework to even sand a guitar LOL

EDIT ok cheers NDroid, the quilted maple doesn't look like its popping much, maybe it's the photo and it should pop more with more coats

Brendan
02-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Not that I switched for the judges...;)
Mate - don't change for the judges - the guitar is yours - it should reflect what you like and want.

nDR01d
02-01-2016, 10:55 AM
I absolutely agree Brendan. And rest assured if/when I do another 6 inline headstock, like an ST or TL, it'll have my 'trademark'.

nDR01d
10-01-2016, 06:05 PM
And when you're just about to do the intensifying coat and take photos of the CG/lemon yellow burst for Wokka to cast his eye over, what would be the best way of getting Dingotone off the binding? Scraping with a really sharp modelling/craft knife? I'm asking for a friend who may have only just now discovered that he may have let some spill over the edge where the was no masking tape... ;)