PDA

View Full Version : Solid paint without a can, man?

Plainfaced
28-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Hey all..

Second post here.. Still havent purchased my kit.. Just waying up my options.

If I wanted to go solid colour (black, pink, toxic green) - Can I get a good finish without using a spraycan?

Reason? I live in an apartment and only have a small balcony.. Im not sure a Spray can would go down that well with my neighbours.. or my landlord.

Ive tried finding some guides on YouTube, but couldnt find much.. Im thinking, I can just use a brush, or even a rag to apply solid paint..?

How should I apply? Foam brush? Rag?
Should I use enamel or water based for solid finishes?

Thanks in advance..

jarrod
29-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Not a great idea. It will take months to cure enough to cut it back to flat. I would try dingo tone.

Fretworn
30-12-2015, 04:39 AM
Do you have a friend/relative where you could do the spraying/hanging? If not I'd listen to Jarrod, he's the expert on spraying and paint finishes.

Bungee
30-12-2015, 05:29 AM
You could always take it to a spray painter and get them to do it for you? Not as fun but will get the job done.

Salo
30-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Welcome Plainfaced. If you go to my build diary thread there is a photo of a TL that I painted in nitro using a brush. When I got the right number of coats, I spent three days cutting it back to flat with wet & dry medium block and then 1200 grit paper. Then I had a mate spray on the last coat. It looks great and ready for coats of clear.