PDA

View Full Version : Is this what Coolangatta Gold should look like?

wazkelly
27-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Hi DB, when I ordered EX-5 back in August I picked Outback Sunset and once it arrived and after reading a few forum threads decided it was too dark and ordered some Coolangatta Gold. Went forth and experimented producing a rather funky golden orange colour by mixing CG & OS and happy with outcome.
Late September I ordered some more CG just in case I ran out and a month later ordered EX-1 to use latest batch of CG on.
Slow progress meant I only got around to using that batch of CG today and when I open the box all 3 bottles were clear and mostly a lightly coloured looking liquid however when beginning the minimum 30 seconds shake up the Stain took on the colour of peanut satay sauce which is totally different compared the previous batch of CG that remained clear and if anything bordered slightly more orange in colour than gold. Intensifier also went the same way once shaking up began. Below are photos of the bottles that arrived in latest kit with a small amount of stain left over from previous order in last couple of shots.

wazkelly
27-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Here are 3 shots of the guitar damped down yesterday followed by 2 shots after first stain coat late this afternoon. Apologies for poor quality shots on the iPhone.
To the naked eye it looks more like the colourless swatch which is not such a bad thing as there is plenty of grain to show off. Just wondering if the opaque look after shaking is normal as this batch was only just opened this afternoon.
Cheers, Waz.

wazkelly
28-12-2015, 05:39 AM
Here are some better shots with soft natural light as it is overcast here today.

dingobass
28-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Hey Wazz,

There will be differences between batches as I am using oxides as the pigments.
Being a natural product it is difficult to achieve exact colour matches between each new batch of pigments.

The opaque look should settle when applied to the timber....

wokkaboy
28-12-2015, 02:28 PM
looks wicked Waz

wazkelly
28-12-2015, 03:43 PM
@Dingobass, Thanks for the update. Almost looks like butterscotch and happy with that. Neck not taking stain too well and will need to hit it with 240 grit to open it up a bit. Only went to 320 but the maple seems to have a very tight grain.

@Wokkaboy, Cheers Woks. When the kit came out of the box one of my mates suggest just using a natural finish and so far this is more of a wash than a really heavy solid stain and hopefully will most likely look natural once finished.

wazkelly
01-01-2016, 03:27 PM
After 4 or maybe 5 stain coats to the body and either 5 or 6 to the neck plus one intensifier coat this morning things are looking good.
Last shot has an empty can of Qld's finest drop, which just happens to be my favourite and serves a colour reference.

wokkaboy
01-01-2016, 10:16 PM
colour looks excellent Waz I love it !
You need some education on craft beer mate, have you been sent to the naughty warehouse yet ? I will show you a beer with flavour there !

wazkelly
02-01-2016, 04:54 PM
colour looks excellent Waz I love it !
You need some education on craft beer mate, have you been sent to the naughty warehouse yet ? I will show you a beer with flavour there !
I know what craft beer is and have tasted some nice WA stuff over past few years. Just being a tight a@#!e and also supporting the local brewery over here.
Took some outdoor shots earlier today and it also contains an import that requires either lemon or lime to make it taste right!!!

ozzbike
03-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Waz, I am up the road in Buderim and this is my Bass.....finished with Coolangatta Gold on the body and I think Bloodwood on the neck. (PBH-4 kit.)

I called her.... "COOLIE" and I play her everyday.

Nice axe at your end. :)

wazkelly
03-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Waz, I am up the road in Buderim and this is my Bass.....finished with Coolangatta Gold on the body and I think Bloodwood on the neck. (PBH-4 kit.)

I called her.... "COOLIE" and I play her everyday.

Nice axe at your end. :)
Thanks Ozzie, yours is definitely worthy of being called 'Coolie'. Looks like you used CG on the neck too even though you said Bloodwood? Curious to know what bridge you used?

ozzbike
05-01-2016, 07:02 PM
The bridge is from GFS.....guitar fetish.....called large mass or something. Easy to string....lots of saddle adjustments.

It is called oversized top mount bass bridge in chrome.....current $20.95 (us) plus postage.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Oversized-Top-Mount-Bass-Bridge-SUSTAIN-Chrome_p_578.html

wazkelly
06-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Thanks Ozzie, I will keep that in mind when building a 4 string F style Bass in the future. Looks like it would be OK on the PBG RC4 too.