PDA

View Full Version : Fender Roadshow coming February 2016

wokkaboy
21-12-2015, 09:38 AM
G'day all,
just to let you know the Fender Roadshow is back most capital cities February next year.
The Greg Koch band is very entertaining and he's a great player.
You get to pick up and have a look at the latest axes.

The link to register is http://www.eventbrite.com.au/o/fender-australia-pty-ltd-3056506820

it's a free event, and it's worth joining a waiting list if it's booked out there is bound to be cancellations and you normally get a seat

Andy40
21-12-2015, 11:11 AM
You are my effing hero Wokks. Booked the Brisbane venue :cool:

wokkaboy
21-12-2015, 11:32 AM
good stuff Andy, if you haven't been to one they are a fun night, there has been some criticism of the shows in the past but the band are pretty good and the lead guy Greg Koch is really entertaining

tonyw
21-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Is Greg Koch that guy form the U.S? i think i have seen some of his work on the tube

wokkaboy
21-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Hi Tony, yes Greg is from US. He's quite a large man when you stand next to him after the show.

andrewdosborne
21-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Thanks Woks for the heads up, I'll book my Sydney ticket now.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
21-12-2015, 03:23 PM
no worries Ponch, hope you enjoy the show.
Perth show is first up so I'll give you the heads up after

stan
21-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks wokka, registered for the Melbourne show

Hope there are less relics this year....

wokkaboy
21-12-2015, 05:33 PM
no worries Stan, I think there were more relics at the last show was the Custom build roadshow which they concentrate a fair bit on relic'd guitars. Should be heaps more non relic'd axes at this show I think

Brendan
21-12-2015, 08:57 PM
See you at the Perth show Wokks - that is unless I see you at a Scorchers game prior!

wokkaboy
21-12-2015, 09:21 PM
No worries Bman. I'll be there with Wayne and his bro in law Glenn who has built 1.5 kits

Rabbitz
22-12-2015, 06:11 AM
I'm all booked for Sydney.

Would it be considered rude to wear a PB T-Shirt? :)

wokkaboy
22-12-2015, 07:24 AM
Hi Rabbitz, go for it wear your PBG shirt. Would be funny if someone wore a Gibson shirt hahah

You will be able to hook up with Andrew O aka Ponch and if you're lucky might be able to check out his Kwaka hahah

keloooe
22-12-2015, 07:43 AM
I once wore my Fender shirt to a Maton factory tour!

wokkaboy
22-12-2015, 07:54 AM
you are a wildman Pest. Think there would be more hatred between Fender and Gibson, probably wouldn't worry Maton

keloooe
22-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Yeah I did get a few cheeky comments though :D

andrewdosborne
22-12-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm all booked for Sydney.

Would it be considered rude to wear a PB T-Shirt? :)
Go for gold. I've booked my ticket but I think I have double booked with a long camping weekend. If not I'll obtain same t-shirt, we can then easily identity each other for a round of lemonade at the bar

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
22-12-2015, 12:51 PM
great way to identify forum members fellas, wear your PBG Tshirt !

hope you can make it Ponch, can you postpone camping weekend ?

thought part of the roadshow would be you riding up onto the stage on your Kwaka ?

Rabbitz
22-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Go for gold. I've booked my ticket but I think I have double booked with a long camping weekend. If not I'll obtain same t-shirt, we can then easily identity each other for a round of lemonade at the bar

Or we could simply catch up at the Forest Antler/Terrey Hills Tavern (etc) - I grew up as a Northern Beaches boy...

andrewdosborne
23-12-2015, 03:43 AM
Ah, now there's an idea!

Rabbitz
08-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Just got an email from the promoters, there has been a venue change.

The roadshow is now at the Metro.

wokkaboy
08-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Hey Rabbitz what date is your show ?
Perth show is 18th February so whoever goes first please post a small review in this thread - cheers

dingobass
08-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Again already??
Gee, if Fender spent the money they splash out on these "come and see our latest relic crap shows" on R&D, they might just start to build a half decent Guitar again......

stan
08-02-2016, 03:45 PM
will be good to hear what they are serving up this year, i am booked for the melbourne show

wazkelly
08-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Again already??
Gee, if Fender spent the money they splash out on these "come and see our latest relic crap shows" on R&D, they might just start to build a half decent Guitar again......
Yeah DB, part of the reason why I chose not to attend plus being on a weeknight it would take me over an hour to get there and probably miss the start.

andrewdosborne
08-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Again already??
Classic DB, made me spit out my tea with laughter!

dingobass
09-02-2016, 07:34 AM
It's a pity, really..
Having had a lot of Fenders cross my work bench I have noticed a gradual decline in the overall quality.
The difference between a '70s built and a modern built is quite scary, especially when you consider the price tag on new ones..
But then, as I will go to my grave saying, you cant beat a well crafted hand made instrument. It will always feel nicer and play better than a mass produced CNC made plank with strings......Let the debate begin :p

wokkaboy
09-02-2016, 10:19 AM
well DB it could be worse, you could have a heap of Mosrites and Icemans on your workbench ?

andrewdosborne
09-02-2016, 10:27 AM
or 7 string Djent Icemans in pink!

wokkaboy
09-02-2016, 10:47 AM
haha that's it Ponch, at least it would be a very visible cricket bat for a day night match !

few weeks ago I managed to leave the DB mancave with a ICA-7 neck in one piece for a bone nut cutting

dingobass
09-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Funny guy, Woks :p

You did indeed leave here with a bone nut for that neck, but being a wise man you did leave the body at home.....

Rabbitz
09-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Woks, Sydney is the 19th. I am only going 'coz it's free and I've never been before.

wokkaboy
09-02-2016, 11:34 AM
@ DB, yes I knew you would have put the Icey body through the bandosaurus haha

@ Rabz your show is the night after the Perth show, you will enjoy the band

dingobass
09-02-2016, 02:55 PM
I, for one, won't be attending.
Could see myself getting into a fist fight with the fender reps cause I would be pointing out to them that fender have been treating their customers with contempt by producing all of these over priced relic pieces of crud :p

tonyw
09-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Fender bought out a Carbronitas for a zillion trillion $$$ limited edition in 2009, i have mine ready to go top quality parts < $400, i have had the parts body neck etc since 2009, just havent got around to it, next guitar off the rank.

As soon as they realised people were throwing La Cabs together for change, they made a cheaper MIM version.

zeromick
09-02-2016, 03:52 PM
It's a pity, really..

The difference between a '70s built and a modern built is quite scary

being that the 70's Fenders are very well know for being hit and miss at best?

wokkaboy
09-02-2016, 03:54 PM
Mick I think DB isn't a fan of any of the Fenders built in the last 2-3 decades, sure he will confirm that

dingobass
09-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Yhep, the 70’s was the beginning of the decline but there are a few really nice ones out there as our fearless leader Adam will confirm.
But when you compare the rubbish clones being built today, I would take a pre 1980 model anytime.

Pic is of one of the relic hunks of junk being offered, nearly 6k for a guitar that has come pre munted...

andrewdosborne
09-02-2016, 04:37 PM
I have found some nice Japanese built Fenders (80's & 90's 7 more recent) and they don't seem to attract the extortionate price tags of the USA models.

One of my fav's is the TL62B

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/ishibashi-shibuya/cabinet/guitar4/05-312140800_1.jpg

dingobass
09-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Some of those MIJ's were really good.

zeromick
11-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Mick I think DB isn't a fan of any of the Fenders built in the last 2-3 decades, sure he will confirm that

My sly sense of humour got missed... I was having a go at 70's Fenders being more inconsistent than the modern ones haha.

andrewdosborne
11-02-2016, 03:16 PM
My sly sense of humour got missed... I was having a go at 70's Fenders being more inconsistent than the modern ones haha.
Ha, got it! Inconsistent in that there were some good ones amongst the dud ones, now consistently dud!

zeromick
11-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Ha, got it! Inconsistent in that there were some good ones amongst the dud ones, now consistently dud!

well... that's in the ball park, have to award a point there haha.

I've got a 2009 USA made strat and its the most beautiful sounding/feeling guitar Ive ever had the pleasure to wrap my hand around. I've played some late 50's/early 60's Fenders as well and they were good but you know, they are a 50 year old guitar so they have their faults. I did play a 68 es335 I was going to buy that was hyped up something fierce and ended up feeling like a fence paling... and sounding like it was full of angry mosquitoes..... each to their own I guess.

Maybe I've got a one in a thousand good one but from that and the others i've played at shops I've gotta sit on the 'positive' side of the fence here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/roofdrop/bae_zpsmxh5cgy2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/roofdrop/media/bae_zpsmxh5cgy2.jpg.html)

wazkelly
11-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Nice looking Strat....looks like dimarzios....how have they been wired up?

stan
12-02-2016, 05:00 AM
I have an 80s fender Tele, it's well made and a very sweet guitar, maybe I got it before the decline

zeromick
12-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Nice looking Strat....looks like dimarzios....how have they been wired up?

sure are Waz... so its a 5 way switch, position 1 - full bridge, position 2 - full bridge and inside rail of middle, position 3 middle, position 4 - neck and outside rail of middle, position 5 - full neck.

tonyw
12-02-2016, 12:13 PM
I have a mate in the U.S.A who was playing in the 50's 60's 70's etc hes now a crackin' luthier, everyone wanted Gibsons in the 50's but the Fenders were more affordable, but they were very hit and miss, some were very bad, nothing has changed.

Why did Leo put Rosewood boards on his guitars? because the Les Paul looked better on TV with the rosewood boards, had nothing to do with tone, Leo was an electronics man, couldnt play a note but he had some great pickup ideas.

vh2580
12-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Have never been a fender fan and had played a few and never got into em. But checked out a signature tele (mex made) and was the most comfortable and great sounding guitar Ive played. Nearly everything else is in its case now and the tele is the main axe of choice.
Was surprised how well made and quality the finish was, to others I had seen before.

tonyw
12-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Have never been a fender fan and had played a few and never got into em. But checked out a signature tele (mex made) and was the most comfortable and great sounding guitar Ive played. Nearly everything else is in its case now and the tele is the main axe of choice.
Was surprised how well made and quality the finish was, to others I had seen before.

For me its homemade telecasters and my 96 G&L ASAT Special

Rabbitz
12-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Well in a vain attempt to get this topic back on topic (sort of).

I hope my PBG T-Shirts turn up before next Friday...

wokkaboy
18-02-2016, 02:16 PM
so I'm attending the Perth show tonight so I will report tomorrow how it goes.
Think the Sydney show is tomorrow night and note the venue changed all Sydney-ites

wokkaboy
18-02-2016, 09:48 PM
ok review on the night. They introduced a new segment with the band had Rod Mcormack as special guest playing banjo, mandolin and acoustic guitar with Greg Koch was entertaining. Then they pulled out all the electrics and new amps. Band was fantastic but being the first Australian show wasn't very polished but the band played some cool tunes.
They had a few new ideas most the new bass and guitar models had a curved neck plate and a truss rod at the heel end. They also tried to promote a guitar that wasn't relic'd but 'worn in'.
They promoted the newish Hendrix model strat with reverse headstock but Greg broke a string on the first song and then it sat on a stand for rest of the night and he played about 4 Hendrix and SRV covers on a tele.
They had a couple of new amps to show sounded pretty good.
Overall the band were great but Fender didn't really have any new exciting products or features to show

Brendan
18-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Yhep - also zip, zilch and nada about basses....

Rabbitz
19-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Well for anyone attending Sydney tonight - Mrs Rabz and I will be resplendent in our PBG t-shirts.

Don't be shy - come over and say Hi.

wokkaboy
19-02-2016, 11:51 AM
good stuff Rabz, glad your PBG shirts arrived. You will love the band and Greg is a real comedian as well.
Have a close look how much fingerboard is behind the 22nd fret with the notch for the truss rod adjustment wheel. Be lucky to be 2mm

Rod McCormack is very talented, he is very cool on banjo and mandolin

Rabbitz
19-02-2016, 07:47 PM
Just back from the roadshow.

It was well worth getting off my aging backside and venturing out.

As per the Perth edition it started with rod McCormack picking on Banjo, mando and acoustic. I've worked with Rod over the years and he is a wizard - if you get to see him, check just how light he is with his right hand, so light and such control.

Rod was then joined by Greg Koch, both playing the new Fender 00 acoustics. Some mighty fine picking. The new acoustics are a light year away from previous tinny Fender acoustics. These had real tone, and a heft to their sound. Maybe not for everyone, but the ones on stage were impressive.

After a couple of jams they were joined by the rest of the band.

What followed was a treat.

Koch is a magician. Some of playing was simply gobsmacking.

Throughout there was a constant feed of information, not just sales stuff, but a lot of the design philosophy, technical discussions about pick up, valves, how to get sounds out various amps.

A bit of a serious discussion about the why's and wherefores of the relic movement. Suffice to say I have shifted slightly in my dislike for it. (It didn't hurt that the relic'd units they had were simply outstanding, especially the white washed strat.)

They even got the Fender Aust Bass Guru to talk about the basses...

As I said a real treat.

The performance part of the evening finished up with a couple of Hendrix tracks, and it was clear it was as much fun on stage as in the room.

The decks were then cleared for anyone and everyone to have a hands on. All of the kit was up for viewing and handling.

I had a very close look at the inlay work on the banjo and mandos. Breathtaking in both design and execution.

Had a quick chat with Rod, and as Mrs Rabz is still unwell (Ross River Virus) we headed home.

The relic'd strat I looked at had a price sticker on the back - a tad under $5k. Not sure if this is AUD or USD. Out of my league but by crickey it's well and truly on my wish list.

We were seated about half way back (next to the sound desk - where else would a roadie sit?) and had a great view over the crowd. It was a strange sort of gig. Everyone was sitting and intently watching and listening. None of the usual distractions at the gig - no wankers carrying on, no pissheads acting the fool.

There were eight year olds to eighty year olds in the room. A really fun night.

Now, one new feature of the American Elite strat range, which is intriguing, is a bypass switch which allows you to bypass the tone, volume and capacitors and feed the Shurebucker bridge pick up straight into your amp. Greg did a few demo's of that - it seriously has some pure fun potential.

Just gotta work how where to get the 5k for that strat...

andrewdosborne
20-02-2016, 04:08 AM
Sounds like a great night Rabbitz. Was it in the Sydney Metro? A good venue for this. I ended up camping this weekend and my pray for rain was not answered.. So next time

Rabbitz
20-02-2016, 05:41 AM
Hi Andrew,

Yes the Metro was pretty much an ideal venue.

Well, 'cept for the fact that it is (and always has been) a bit of a dump.

wokkaboy
20-02-2016, 09:39 AM
glad you enjoyed the night Rabz. I thought for a free night it was fun and learnt a bit about the latest gear.

Any other forumites going to any shows in other states ? Please let us know what you thought of the show !

Greg must have read Bman's comment about nothing about bass guitars and included it in your show lastnight !

Maddogm
23-02-2016, 03:21 PM
I'm sitting here waiting for the Melbourne show to start, they have basses on stage at least

wokkaboy
23-02-2016, 03:29 PM
good stuff Maddog, enjoy the show, sounds like the bass player went through some models at the Sydney show

Brendan
23-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Sorry - basses were there, but had no mention. The bass player used a '51 style P Bass quite a bit - only increased the want for a bass like that - but no demo / info...