PDA

View Full Version : What's more important? How a guitar looks, feels and plays, or sounds?

wazkelly
18-12-2015, 07:37 PM
At this time of year many parents will be buying their kids guitars as xmas presents and thought I would start a debate on what everyone reckons is more important - Look, Feel (playability), or Sound?

When my kids were young and going to lessons with a local neighbourhood teacher he enlisted me to offer a cheap service to re-string and setup many of his student's guitars and I was gobsmacked at how crap most of them were. It is fair enough to say many were probably purchased based on their appearance as the actions were so high with machine heads that would not stay in tune. Strangely enough at the budget end of the spectrum sound quality was fairly even across them all and sometimes slightly better than more expensive traditional branded guitars. Some cheap and nasty Ibanez's come to mind whilst I never found a dud Yamaha irrespective of where they were built.

To me the most important part is playability, particularly for kids. For example if the action is too high it will be hard to play notes cleanly not to mention the accompanying intonation pitch issues. Therefore much time was spent on lowering actions, correct tensioning of truss rods, lowering height of both nut and/or bridge, and finally setting up the intonation properly. For electrics the next job was raising or lowering pickups to get the sound right and balanced from neck, to middle for strats, to bridge. Acoustic with electrics were a bigger challenge as I found most had dreadful EQ and there was nothing much you could do to improve the sound other than keep fitting new strings regularly. Muddy mid range droning sound seemed a quite common issue.

Once I got the action and intonation sorted it was on to the 'Blind Fold' test. This was good for focusing on the sound and not be influenced by the name on the headstock at the same time. Many times I was disappointed by some very expensive known branded guitars that you would have expected to be better. To me sound is important but second to feel as you can alter the sound by changing PUP's, using effects pedals, or changing the EQ tone settings on a half decent amp.

So by now you may have guessed that I ranked Look last which seems ironic given how we live in such a 'Visual' environment. In saying look I don't mean the shape, more the overall finish and method of construction such as bolt-on vs set neck, etc.

Interestingly a few years ago my eldest son then aged about 17 wanted to buy another guitar. He had a Gold Top LP Epiphone with a set neck and went to a reputable Guitar shop in Fortitude Valley (Brisvegas) to try some out. Thankfully he remembered what I had banged on about over the years as he did the Blind Fold test on several Eppi's as well as the Gibson equivalent with interesting results. For most parts the Epi looked good enough considering it was way cheaper than equivalent Gibbo. They even played similar however once plugged in that is when the quality of PUP's became evident. From here it had to be a Gibson but this is where it gets even more interesting as quality control across a sample in the store showed some up as quite poorly finished. Some were worse than an equivalent Epiphone.

Being a 2nd year Mechanical Engineering Uni student on a budget he wasn't about to spend $10k on an aged 59 LP replica and his lack of funds steered him in the direction of my favourite Gibson being an Explorer where they had about 4 of them for sale and were the cheapest Gibson's in the shop. They had 2 Black, 1 Cherry and 1 White to chose from. The Cherry looked OK but grain was dull to ordinary, both Black ones showed a shadow line where the bottom wing was glued on whilst the white one was good all over and as a bonus came with an ebony fret board whilst the others had rosewood.

Which one did he buy? The White one but not because it looked the best, was better finished quality control wise, but how the neck played and felt better with the ebony fret board, and they all sound awesome with the ceramic 496R & 500T PUP's anyway. Funny how most Explorers he saw in shops were Black and they all had the shadow join line visible which just goes to show that some solid colours are better than others for disguising such imperfections. Almost forgot to mention he paid just $1,600 and it came with the genuine white lined Gibson Hard Case when at the time most stores were asking $2,300. Pulling the poor Uni Student on a budget heart strings may have worked in his favour.

I write this as I am obsessing with striving for perfection with the finish on my EX-5 and yet have not heard how it sounds. From the mock build after final sanding I already know the neck and fret board are perfect and the overall weight and balance of the shape is great although it is one helluva long beast at 123cm's. Once hardware is fitted that determine how well counter balanced it is on a strap as when gigging that can have an impact on playability too.

Finally, I will share a short story on Look vs Sound. Mid 1980's I had switched from guitar to Bass, only had one and after breaking a couple of strings during a gig one Friday night went out next morning to buy a backup. As luck would have it I found an exact same Bass in a Pawn shop however it was more road worn than my main axe. Being young at the time I thought it would be good to paint it to cover up the imperfections and that was a big mistake as it killed the tone and I never touched it again. In hindsight I should have left it alone as some 30 years later road worn or reliced is now fashionable and it would have retained that same original tone.

Look forward to what you folk reckon is more important - Look, Feel, or Sound.

Bungee
19-12-2015, 03:02 AM
Well, I think it depends...

I was a guitar teacher for a long time and got to see a lot of crap quality guitars. As you said, parents usually buy on looks unless they can play, then I would find parents would buy on feel/quality.

A badly set up guitar that won't stay in tune is only going to make learning uncomfortable. So for a learner I am going to say playability is important. Sound and looks should be on the back bench, most electrics my students had didn't get plugged in very often.

I also spent a few years working as a guitarist and that is when sound is important, especially if you're doing any recording. I worked with guys that's had cheaper / rougher setups in some studios and venues, and buzzing and feedback gremlins would sometimes haunt them.

As for looks, well... I think only guitarists get excited over looks, and for me now it is looks that I want. I like to hang my guitar on the wall and consider it art. I went through a period where I would only by top shelf American made guitars, but these days, if I find a cool looking Chinese piece for a great price I will grab it, even if it plays like poo!

The reason I decided to build a guitar, was so I could create something that looks cool, is unique and hopefully plays okay, but looks is number one for me now.

My 2 bobs worth...

Alm_63
19-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Waz, I couldn't agree more with your approach, playability every time.
Also about yamahas , when I get asked by friends about getting a beginner a guitar, it's Yamaha everytime!

robin
19-12-2015, 05:27 AM
I'm in the Wazza camp too.

Anybody who reads any of my build diaries knows that my guitars live or die by how they play. Sound, a close second and looks don't really rate that much. Of course we all like to make guitars that look good, and we do our best to make them a work of art, but I would much rather make a guitar that I enjoy playing.

Just my $0.02 worth.

rob

andrewdosborne
19-12-2015, 08:24 AM
For me playability, sound then looks

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
19-12-2015, 09:05 AM
hey Waz, good discussion, I'm with Ponch, to me is playability, sound then looks.
If you can nail all three you have an excellent axe

Nickosaurus
19-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Sound is secondary to playability. If you can't play well you won't sound good either.

Andy40
19-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Sure, I'd like all three thanks.

However, I'm going to go to the other end of the spectrum guys.

For me, sound-tone is king and playability is last. In my younger days when I barely had two cents to rub together, I've learned to play on quite a few borrowed pieces of crud, which were old, broken and usually don't stay in tune very long. The action was high (sometimes variable). I'm glad of that experience, I've learned to adapt my playing style to suit the guitar (the challenge), avoid fret buzz like jumping puddles and tune using my ear frequently. I am certainly no professional, I do this only for fun, so if it wasn't for the constant quest for sound or tone I don't think I would have kept playing. Also If it wasn't for those times, I don't think I would have the appreciation for a great playing guitar.

Unfortunately, for me, looks beat playability too. I can't get intimate with a fugly chick, and I can't wince and play a guitar either. If there's no attraction...its not on.

Sorry guys, there's my half-penny worth of advice.

wazkelly
19-12-2015, 03:05 PM
Some really good feedback so far and look forward to more.

wazkelly
19-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Also about yamahas , when I get asked by friends about getting a beginner a guitar, it's Yamaha everytime!

Currently own a Pacifica 112VCX, had a 12 string Acoustic about 35 years ago as well as a Fretless BB1200 Bass around the same time, and when it came time for my eldest Son to learn Bass we bought a 2nd hand RBX250 which he still owns today. They were all built in different countries from Japan to Korea to Indonesia and the build quality control is exactly the same. Highly under rated axes.

stan
19-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Playability, you can fix the other two: refinish, new pups etc, then you have all 3

DrNomis_44
19-12-2015, 04:54 PM
For me, it'd be the guitar's ability to play in tune and stay in tune.

The way I see it, there's no point having a guitar that looks and sounds a million dollars if it is a real pain to play in tune or keep in tune, you'd end up getting so frustrated with it that you'd feel like destroying it.

Andy40
20-12-2015, 03:32 AM
Currently own a Pacifica 112VCX, had a 12 string Acoustic about 35 years ago as well as a Fretless BB1200 Bass around the same time, and when it came time for my eldest Son to learn Bass we bought a 2nd hand RBX250 which he still owns today. They were all built in different countries from Japan to Korea to Indonesia and the build quality control is exactly the same. Highly under rated axes.

I agree, when I was able to afford it, I eventually bought a Yamaha F-310 and a second hand Pacifica. Great guitars. frets were a little cramped but good to learn on. Goodtimes :D

@Waz...I was also heartened to hear that if I keep banging on about something over the years, there's a chance that my sons will remember...something.

adam
20-12-2015, 03:43 AM
Great discussion thread wazkelly, very interesting read.

Can I add another factor, from the perspective of someone who's played plenty of 4+ hour gigs. Weight.

I do love my Tele and will use it for the original band gigs. However, when I played in Country and Bush bands, the gigs would go for 3 or 4 sets over 4 or more hours. Then I'd grab my Gretsch Jet Pro, which is semi-hollow and super lightweight. Doesn't sound, play or feel anywhere near as good as the Tele, but in the last set I'm not needing physiotherapy on my left shoulder.

Of course, now that DB has made me that stunning GR-1SF, that is my go to guitar.

dave.king1
20-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Playability for me, I know pretty much anything can be sorted with a bit of sweat or a few bucks but if it don't feel right it won't come home so the sorting would never happen.

I've played Fenders all my life so I am aware of weight issues ( LP black beauty was far too heavy ) and we always played 20 on 10 off or there abouts in our 4 hour gigs in the past but now that we are all of a certain vintage we are looking at 40/20 because one of the guys has major issues with his legs

wazkelly
20-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Great discussion thread wazkelly, very interesting read.

Can I add another factor, from the perspective of someone who's played plenty of 4+ hour gigs. Weight.

Cannot agree more Adam as my old Ric 4001 had the 2 truss rod setup and after playing 4 x half hour on/half hour off in hot sweaty pubs in SEQ under 1000w par 64's you were stuffed and if the gig went to 5 or 6 sets it was a real marathon like challenge.

wazkelly
20-12-2015, 07:03 PM
@Waz...I was also heartened to hear that if I keep banging on about something over the years, there's a chance that my sons will remember...something.

Cheers Andy. Most of the time they only remember what you don't want them too but sometimes they can pleasantly surprise you too. All the fun that comes with parenting.

wazkelly
20-12-2015, 07:04 PM
I've played Fenders all my life so I am aware of weight issues ( LP black beauty was far too heavy ) and we always played 20 on 10 off or there abouts in our 4 hour gigs in the past but now that we are all of a certain vintage we are looking at 40/20 because one of the guys has major issues with his legs

One word simple answer for that bloke - wheelchair!

dave.king1
20-12-2015, 07:11 PM
One word simple answer for that bloke - wheelchair!

A bit harsh but it may come to that eventually, he has diabetes and this leads to infection in the soles of the feet also sings and plays lap steel so it is a siting down instrument.

wazkelly
20-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Oops, I thought it must have been a dodgy hip from old age and apologise for my insensitivity.

dave.king1
21-12-2015, 04:06 AM
Oops, I thought it must have been a dodgy hip from old age and apologise for my insensitivity.

No worries Waz, I've got the dodgy hip but unlike the other two I've still got hair :D

dingobass
21-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Coming at this from a Luthiers point of view, all three are equally important.
Looks. Humans are visual creatures, we like shiney, pretty things...
Playabilty. No brainer there, I think we all agree :)
Tuning stability etc. See last sentence.

No point building a Guitar that hasnt got it all!

wokkaboy
21-12-2015, 08:47 AM
DB, some guitars make good cricket bats and firewood too !

Fretworn
21-12-2015, 10:00 AM
You won't even pick up and try a guitar you don't like the look of. There is also an ergonomic thing, how the guitar hangs on your body. I won't play archtop guitars anymore because I find the guitar doesn't hang well on my body and angled back neck leads to shoulder discomfort.

BenWA
21-12-2015, 02:36 PM
i like how teles look more than strats but ergonomically im impressed everytime i play my strat, the contoured body makes it fit much better
all my guitars are cheap and crappy, so none sound that great, so i guess playability is more important to me really. different ones feel better for playing different stuff though, which is why its important to make sure you have lots of guitars :D