PDA

View Full Version : Jm-1

5Joe5
16-12-2015, 10:07 AM
This will be my first try at a build and I like the looks of this. I don't want the tortoise shell colored pickguard that comes with it though. Can anyone tell me what Fender pickguard would fit on this body? Also, on the strat style guitars do Fender strat pickguards fit?

wokkaboy
16-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. I've not built a JM-1 kit so not sure if a pickguard you order online will be compatible.
The strat pickguard in the kits should be pretty close to the real thing so you shouldn't have any trouble ordering a different one online, I have done so plenty of times and they fit well.
Another option is Pablopepper on the forum may be able to cut you a JM shaped pickguard, or you could take a gamble and order one and it may need some small mods to suit.
Have a read though Mick's JM-1 mashup build diary he has done some mods, or you could post the question on his build diary he may know

pablopepper
16-12-2015, 10:25 AM
The JM-1 is a bit of an oddity, not quite a jazzmaster or a jaguar, a bit of a blend of both. As such, no commercially available pickguard will fit perfectly and I couldn't replicate it accurately with out an original to go off. Zeromick has used a jazzmaster pickguard on his jm, but he needed to mod pretty heavily to get everything to fit. Check it out here http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4071

5Joe5
16-12-2015, 10:28 AM
The JM-1 is a bit of an oddity, not quite a jazzmaster or a jaguar, a bit of a blend of both. As such, no commercially available pickguard will fit perfectly and I couldn't replicate it accurately with out an original to go off. Zeromick has used a jazzmaster pickguard on his jm, but he needed to mod pretty heavily to get everything to fit. Check it out here http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4071

Well that's a little above my level haha. Looks like the strat style may be easier to try for my first build. Thanks for the reply!

pablopepper
16-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Well, if you've got your heart set on the jm, you could send me the pickguard and I could copy it for you. :)