PDA

View Full Version : General neck setup questions...

Plainfaced
14-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Hi there.. Hope I've found my way to the right forum.

Looking at building my first kit guitar.. I live in Sydney and after some searching it looks like PITBULL is the way to go...

Now, I'm not a total novice when it comes to handling tools.. And I'm not too bad with a soldering iron.. But something about a kit build scares me... Setting the neck and levelling frets..

Questions.
1. Is it worth paying the extra few dollars and getting the neck setup? Does this include fret levelling? Apart from giving the neck a nice sand and polish, I'm not too confident in touching the fretboard.
2. Are bolt on necks easier to set? I've heard some horror stories of people not setting the neck. If it's a bolt on, is there not pre-drilled holes and shouldn't it just fit?

Kit I'm looking at is the JK-1
https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-jr-1-electric-guitar-kit/#

Thanks in advance..
Again, I'm really keen to get my hands dirty giving the guitar a nice finish, wiring up and installing hardware... It's just that neck scares the hell out of me..

wokkaboy
14-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Hi Plainfaced, welcome to the forum.
If the neck setup scares you then a neck setup by Dingobass is the way to go. You can learn to do it yourself but you will need to spend about $120-$200+ on tools. You will need a 12' radius sanding block, sandpaper, fret rocker, fret crowning tool, a fret ruler is handy to get the neck flat before you level it. Stewmac has a fret levelling kit with the tools required.
Pretty sure a neck setup by DB would include a fret level.
Question 2, bolt on necks are easier as you can easily remove the neck easily and add shims if required. Once you have built a couple of kits then no problem try a set neck kit.
When you order the kit if you go for the fret level organise it when you order it so DB can setup and then send the kit to you in Sydney.
Best of luck with the build !

Brendan
14-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Welcome along Plainfaced. Have to agree with you - Pitbull is definately the way to go. As for neck setup - acording to the site, the Luthier's neck setup should come with
Setting the correct neck relief (back bow so when the strings are at tension the neck is straight); and
Levelling, re-crowning and polishing the frets to allow for a super low and lightening quick action with buttery smooth frets.
That should be everything you could want - the neck should then be a dream.

As for kit to do a neck job yourself - Wokka is right - there can be a lot of kit required just to get the frets level - so if you're only looking at one then a neck job can be quite economical - there is quite a bit of work in getting everything right.

Bolt on necks have holes in the body - not the neck - not too hard to do yourself and just needs a drill and a couple of clamps. Personally find them easier than set necks...

Andy40
15-12-2015, 02:40 AM
Hi Plainfaced, I am not a moderator and have just built one kit the ST-1. I did my own leveling, re-crowning and polishing with tools built myself (I did get a notched straight edge from one of the guys of the forum - Pablo Pepper because the one I made was terrible). Sure, it would have taken a lot less time if I had bought the tools, but I just didn't at the time.

I too was scared but one of the main reasons I bought the kit was to learn how to do it myself (teach a man to fish and all that) and, thanks to the pitbull guys, I figured if i stuffed it up, one of the guys would give me a work around, or at worst I could give it to DB to fix.

Long story short.... I did it, it works and there is no fret buzz. I am still a complete novice but I am going to do it again with my next build too.

One video that gave me a bit of confidence was this one...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDy7cF255dY

Good luck mate with whatever you decide to do.

Plainfaced
15-12-2015, 03:07 AM
Some great advice.... Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with paying to get the neck setup.

So a bolt on neck. Holes in the body and not in the neck you say? Is it just a matter of clamping the neck when straight, measuring three times and drilling when clamped to the body? Or is it a snug fit and pretty much ready to drill when snug?

Sorry for all the pre-purchase questions.. Wanting to make sure I'm across it prior to committing.

Gavin1393
15-12-2015, 06:16 AM
I wrote a complete guide to levelling frets on the forum over here. Once you have the confidence this will show you exactly how.
Welcome to the forum.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1775&highlight=fret+levelling

stan
15-12-2015, 06:19 AM
welcome and enjoy, we've all been there mate, and happy to help, some great advice already given

Fretworn
15-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Welcome Plainfaced. Whereabouts in Sydney are you. There are a few Sydneysiders here who may be able to drink beer and shout encouragement while you do the neck set up, if you decide to do it yourself. Not really an expert myself, but I've managed so far. Re the bolt on neck. Yes you measure three times, clamp and drill. There is also a guide that discusses getting the neck aligned somewhere in the guides section.

wokkaboy
15-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Some great advice.... Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with paying to get the neck setup.

So a bolt on neck. Holes in the body and not in the neck you say? Is it just a matter of clamping the neck when straight, measuring three times and drilling when clamped to the body? Or is it a snug fit and pretty much ready to drill when snug?

Hi Plainfaced, yes you are correct the screw holes in the body are pre-drilled but the neck isn't. Some necks will be snug and some have a bit of movement in the pocket. The best way to drill the neck screw holes is to install both E tuners, fit the bridge and string up both E strings. Then clamp the neck so both string to edge of fretboard offsets are about the same. Then drill the neck screw holes.
Keep asking questions it's the only way to learn and the forum is here to help.
Worth having a read of Gavmiesters fret levelling post he linked above