PDA

View Full Version : January Guitar of the Month

Brendan
05-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Here's your chance to kick off 2016 with a bang - enter your finished guitar here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars January 2016 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

One guitar per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)

We need at least 4 photos:

full guitar shot from the front;
close up of the body finish;
shot of the back of the guitar; and
close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to adam (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible.

Competition for December closes 31 December 2015.

Winner will be judged by the Pit Bull Guitars Judging Panel, including the winner of the December 2015 GOTM.

Fuzzbeard
06-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Hi all!

This is my first attempt at one of these kits and I must say it was a fun experience and I'm very happy with the way things have turned out. I bought a set of tonerider Rebel90s to drop into another guitar but decided against it. I spotted the pickguard on a certain online shopping type website, then I remembered stumbling across Pitbull guitars a little while back so I ordered the ST-1 kit with gold hardware, some Dingotone Nullarbor ochre, gotoh 3 way switch, CTS pots and srague cap and this is what I finished up with. :D

vh2580
06-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Flying V in Purple Colourtone
Gotoh Locking tuners
Gotoh Bridge
Entwhistle Neo Darkstars
Upgraded electronics with Fidelity upgrade
Bone Nut

vh2580
06-12-2015, 04:32 PM
And to stick with Fuzzbeards theme a bit of "Beagle Rock"

vh2580
06-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Nice build Fuzzbeard like the body colour and the green pearloid pickguard and rear cover really make this stand out.

Fuzzbeard
06-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks, nice one vh2580 that flying V looks great, I have been eyeing off one of those kits (and many others) for a while. Oh and that is my mate Elvis he was trying to help :p

Swanny
06-12-2015, 05:13 PM
That's like an Australia themed guitar, Fuzzbeard! Green and Gold, it even goes with the grass!

Great job on the build!

Swanny
06-12-2015, 05:16 PM
I like the colours in your flying V, Tony! Cool looking axe!

Oh, and I see you've got one of those rechargeable beagles, he's still plugged into the lead!

Andy40
06-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Massive, massive fan of the headstock on that ST Fuzzbeard, its like a Dr Seuss version of the Fender style headstock. My wife's a big supporter of that finish with the green pearloid......but that purple on the grain on VH's flying V is the business....

Nickosaurus
06-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Great entries so far. Love the dogs in each photo too.. Already a trend emerging!

Fretworn
07-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Two great guitars and they both come with guard dogs. If I ever get the 12 string finished the best I can hope for is a guard cat.

wokkaboy
07-12-2015, 09:46 AM
very nice builds Fuzzbeard and Tony.
The green pearloid guard on the nullarbor ochre really works well Fuzzbeard and the exxagerated headstock shape is cool.

@ Tony love this Flying V, and that plate on the back looks wicked. Nice truss rod cover this looks ready for shredding

zeromick
26-12-2015, 10:13 AM
My entry, the love child of a JM-1 and ST-1M kit ... I dont have a doge.

The are many mods, very shine, such wow!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/roofdrop/01_zpspdcdirwa.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/roofdrop/media/01_zpspdcdirwa.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/roofdrop/02_zpskvbsyh5z.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/roofdrop/media/02_zpskvbsyh5z.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/roofdrop/03_zpswdhdher2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/roofdrop/media/03_zpswdhdher2.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/roofdrop/04_zps3mlvvxvf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/roofdrop/media/04_zps3mlvvxvf.jpg.html)

wokkaboy
26-12-2015, 04:47 PM
what a month to the start of 2016 ! 3 incredible entries, glad I'm not judging (as far as I know).
Mick the finish and coolness of the JM-1 is classy as, well done dude

Fretworn
27-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Wow Mick! that's awesome.

Nickosaurus
27-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Such a cool build!

soundguy4033
28-12-2015, 02:58 PM
OK, Ill chuck my hat into the ring.
Upgraded gold hardware.
Naughty Oil neck.
Blenhem medium wheat stain and Naughty oil body.
Tonerider Pups with I/O phase switch and blend control.
Paua fret markers

vh2580
28-12-2015, 03:33 PM
That is sweet! Love the colour.

wazkelly
28-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Gold hardware works really well with colours used on this Strat and love the Paua fret markers on the maple fret board.

soundguy4033
28-12-2015, 07:25 PM
Gold hardware works really well with colours used on this Strat and love the Paua fret markers on the maple fret board.
I gotta say I was absolutely ... myself drilling out the plastic markers and discovering they were 5mm thick, and the Paua were 1-2mm, I had to get VERY creative with wood scraps that day!

wazkelly
28-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Amazing how each build throws up a few different surprises now and then.

Brendan
09-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Apologies for the delay in getting the results out, but the scores are in!

In order of submissions:

Fuzzbeard's ST-1
Great looking guitar Fuzz! I love how the gold hardware and the Dingotone complement each other. The green pickguard really stands out and makes it very individual - let's hope it sounds as good as it looks - great effort!

Very nice consistent color in both body and neck. A good finish on the body, some minor flaws visible on the headstock finish. The positioning of pickups and bridge seem spot on. The gold hardware would stand out more with a bit darker shade of stain and different color scratchplate but this is just my opinion. I wasn't shure about if I liked the green pearloid color but then again it's what makes this build stand out and I grew to like eventually.

Well put together ST-1 and love the green pickguard goes really well with the nullarbor ochre. Nice headstock shape but could have used a logo.

Loving the real earthyness of this hybrid strat. The natural grittyness of DB's Nullabor Ochre and the Australian Green Pickguard coupled with the gold upgrades completes the natural look of this guitar. Although Wokka has probably confined himself to the spot under the stairs of the Naughty room at seeing the humbuckers in the Strat, I think that the guitar could be an interesting talking point since the shape is instantly recognisable as a strat (albeit the oversized headstock) but the rest of the guitar keeps you wondering.

VH2580's FV-1
The flying 'V' is always a great addition to any collection and indeed these GOTM comps. This is another great example Tony. Nice truss rod selection with the skull and bones which no doubt held the Beagles attention!

Great looking V! The truss rod cover is a great complement to the overall look of the guitar. I can see it getting a real thrashing! The nameplate on the back is a good idea.

Another brilliant VH build, nice mods to this well finished axe and some nice custom touches love the truss rod cover and plate on the back.

A great color choice - appropriate for this type of shreadding tool. Positioning of hardware is spot on. Nice truss rod cover for that personal touch as well as the logo plate on back of the body. Not sure if the finish is perfect on the back if you take a close look on darkest piece of wood but this could as well be some reflection.

Zeromick's JM-1 / ST-1M hybrid
Artistry in the photography is amazing Mick! The hybrid guitar here really works - love the choice of colours and the finish is great!

Another stunning build from Mick and this is a real sexy axe, simplistic but effective mods this axe would be my go to axe. The finish is faultless.

What a great looking guitar. Loving the hybrid look and beautifully photographed. Major points deduction for no dog (j/k). This could easily feature in one of the local music stores the finish is so good.

This one seems flawless when you look at the level of finish - incredible work. Multiple mods and the builder definately took his time perfecting this piece. Although I'm not a big fan of the specific color choice this build is one to take a bow to.

Soundguy4033's STA-1M
First of all - I just love the colours on this one. The body is beautiful and the neck is to die for! The gold hardware compliments this one and the black scratchplate fits it perfectly. One flaw I could find (if you have to think it that way)is that the color on the fretboard seems inconsistent - although it suits this one as it is giving it some vintage look. Also I'm not sure if the bridge is positioned perfectly but the feel can also be affected by the angle of the picture. Personally I would have put a black plate on the back too in stead of white.

Really nice finish and mods to this ST-1. I have to subtract small points for the trem cover being white and not black to match the pickguard. Overall well built axe. Has it been intonated?

This strat is stunning. Looks like it is on fire. Just a pity it hasnt been intonated. Judging by your serial number this is your first, and if so it is a commendable effort.

Soundguy - love the colours here - the darker maple on the fretboard works well in concert with the colours you've chosen for the body & neck. The white cover on the back though is a bit of a distraction for me.

And the winner is Zeromicks JM-1 / ST-1 hybrid! Congratulations to all of the entrants, with a couple of new entrants, you've all done a credible and commendable effort.

wokkaboy
09-01-2016, 10:19 AM
congratulations Mick, I was a guest judge and I thought it was the best submission for the month. The other 3 entries were of a high standard but had some small flaws

WeirdBits
09-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Congrats Mick, excellent build.

Arzi
09-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Congrats to the winner and all entrants! Great builds each and everyone.

stan
09-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Well done everyone, but MICK that axe is outstanding, well done, and great pics

Fuzzbeard
09-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Congratulations Mick! Sweet guitar, great mods and cool video to go with it.

wazkelly
09-01-2016, 06:00 PM
The quality of guitars entered just gets better and better every month.
Well done fellas and particularly Mick for both his intriguing B & W shots before the final colour reveal. Video also showed how sweet it sounded too.

gavinturner
09-01-2016, 06:30 PM
All magnificent entries this month and a worthy winner. Well done one and all.

cheers,
Gav.

vh2580
09-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Congrats Mick fantastic build and deserved winner. Another awesome build
Fuzz beard and Soundguy awesome builds also.

Note to self: shoulda got the beagle to do a demo.

Andy40
10-01-2016, 02:38 AM
Some great axes, I really liked fuzzbeard's strat, well done zeromick.

zeromick
10-01-2016, 03:19 AM
cheers guys :)

Fretworn
10-01-2016, 04:57 AM
Congrats Mick!

andrewdosborne
10-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Awesome work everyone and well done Mick!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

ihasmario
19-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Mick - awesome axe and awesome photos....