PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the binding

Crusader
26-11-2015, 03:44 PM
My LP-1 kit came yesterday, thanks DB for the routing work.

And so far I have broken 3 sets of Binding trying to glue it to the body..
it doesn't seem to want to soften with the hair dryer it softens with a flame..

advice is welcome please.

dingobass
26-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Ahhh, the old I don't want to play nice binding....
If it's the stuff I think it is, then you will need a bit more heat than what a hair dryer can produce..
I use a refillable gas heat torch that I got from Altronics. Does the job but you need to be carefull not to melt the binding or worse, set it on fire.... Been there, done that :p

http://www.altronics.com.au/search/all/?sr=T2480

Crusader
27-11-2015, 02:33 AM
ok thanks DB for the advice. I have a bigger one of that type of thing but it could be too big I will get one and try again.

Also when people in the other thread said they use Tarzans grip? which type? contact? Mega Bond?

Gavin1393
27-11-2015, 05:38 AM
ok thanks DB for the advice. I have a bigger one of that type of thing but it could be too big I will get one and try again.

Also when people in the other thread said they use Tarzans grip? which type? contact? Mega Bond?

The general purpose glue one works on wood and plastic! Leave it to set for three days before removing the adhesive tape.

Are you using wood binding or plastic binding?

Crusader
27-11-2015, 08:10 AM
it is ABS plastic binding.. I purchased some mega bond. to try I just need to heat the binding sufficiently to get it around the curve and one really tight corner.

Oh, and thanks for the info. much appreciated.

wokkaboy
27-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Hey Neil maybe the hair dryer isn't heating the binding enough, I use an older version of this from the Green shed
http://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-2000w-variable-temperature-heat-gun_p6290265

I think using a flame will be a much higher chance of discolouring the binding or it catching on fire as DB says !

I'm in the naughty warehouse for 3 x life so I don't care anymore about getting any more sentences there bwhahah

The Tarzan grip mega bond should be fine

Crusader
27-11-2015, 09:37 AM
thank you, I'll try the heat gun first, see how I go.

Crusader
27-11-2015, 03:17 PM
yeah that heat gun worked a treat, binding is mostly on.

thanks again guys..