PDA

View Full Version : Removing glue spots under burst?

gavinturner
24-11-2015, 08:28 AM
hi guys (especially DB!),

I just did an LP flame maple burst with my Colortone dyes. When I started no glue spots were apparent with either an initial water wipe or with the first colour (lemon yellow). However as the subsequent colours went on, glue spots magically appeared in the top. Bummer. Is there a technique to work on the glue spots so that I can save my burst? Maybe the wire brush trick? What process would you recommend? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I've never had this happen before.

many thanks,
Gav.

wokkaboy
24-11-2015, 09:20 AM
burst looks excellent Gav but never had that happen with delayed glue spots being visible.
Looks like most of the glue spots are near the edge ?
I would try the wire brush then go around the edge with black or a deep brown will hopefully hide these plus I reckon triple bursts look heaps better

gavinturner
24-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Yeah Wokks I think you might be right. The initial colours (yellow + amber) i think were too light to show up the glue as they were quite close to the original wood colour maybe. Anyway. I love the burst as it is, but I think a dark edge may be required. Time to get out those wire brushes..

cheers,
Gav.

Fretworn
24-11-2015, 09:32 AM
The burst looks great Gav. Hope your fix for the glue spots works out.

wokkaboy
24-11-2015, 09:33 AM
sounds like the way to go Gav, black edge only has to be about 15-20mm wide maximum.

dingobass
24-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Dammit!
Pity that happened, you have got a really nice burst going there.
Reminds me of the classic 50's Burst LP's.

Sanding back won't help as the stain would have penetrated the thickness of the cap...

I reckon the only way around this is to go for a darker transition around the edge.
What can look cooler than a triple burst?

Edit: I would use an airbrush for the edge transition, and do it with the finish coats.
Tint the first few layers and then finish it off with the clear.

Edit edit: Wot Woks sed :)

gavinturner
24-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Thanks @fretty and @wokks for the encouragement - really hoping I can recover or it!

@db - ok thanks for the advice. I do have an airbrush now but haven't been game enough to give it a try. i think i'll have to drag it out and start experimenting.

cheers guys,
Gav.

vh2580
24-11-2015, 10:02 AM
I dont know if it would take much Gav but a bit of the old kitchen scourer steelo. Do you still have your burst die mix ? as if you can clear the spots you could restain and if you wanted a bit of a transition add a bit of brown or mahogany to your current mix.
Bit of a pity as that top and burst looks damn good

Swanny
24-11-2015, 10:03 AM
That's a fantastic burst! You've got such a nice smooth transition between the colours.

Fingers crossed that the wire brushes work!

gavinturner
24-11-2015, 11:43 AM
@Tony - thanks for the advice man. I think I'll keep at the spots with the wire brushes and just keep adding colour slowly. Anything I can do not to have to resort to the airbrush. I'm hoping that I can build up enough localised colour around the edge. I've had a bit of a try and here is where it's at now:

@Swanny - thanks for the kind words. Gonna save this bugger if it's the last thing i do!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
24-11-2015, 11:48 AM
that looks heaps better Gav, looks like you removed the glue spots, well done

gavinturner
24-11-2015, 01:21 PM
thanks @Wokks, yeah it's getting there. you can still see them if you know where to look, but I might stop now so as not to tempt fate.

cheers,
Gav.

stan
24-11-2015, 02:13 PM
nice save Gav.

I've found that if you look at a finish and think "not bad, I wonder if.." then STOP..

gavinturner
24-11-2015, 02:45 PM
yes @Stan exactly! better to quit while you're ahead, even if it isn't perfect.

cheers,
Gav.

vh2580
24-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Need a "that's gold" emoji. Looks awesome Gav

gavinturner
24-11-2015, 05:04 PM
thanks @Tony :)

cheers,
Gav.

Wisdom
04-01-2016, 05:45 AM
looks really nice, but in your last picture it looks like the top is cracked at the bottom? I love the transition. I would like to make a few practice attempts at staining on some scrap wood before going onto the instrument.

dingobass
04-01-2016, 07:46 AM
looks really nice, but in your last picture it looks like the top is cracked at the bottom? I love the transition. I would like to make a few practice attempts at staining on some scrap wood before going onto the instrument.

Well spotted, Eagle Eye :p

Just a guess but I would say that line in the top towards the bottom would be the join in the cap veneer.