PDA

View Full Version : Solid colour finish set neck advice

Mateyboy
24-11-2015, 02:55 AM
Hi

I recently bought an EX-1 kit. I have routed by own explorer body and using the kit neck. I have just started sanding and wondered how I will spray the neck when it is glued to the body. I plan on spraying the body and neck at the same time, the plan is to primer coat, colour then clear coat.

My confusion is how to do the neck. I have sprayed a headstock before and the paint builds in layers which worries me when it comes to the neck.

So... I was going to mask off the fretboard, including the side, then spray the primer on to the neck and body, sand it down.

Then I was going to do the same with the colour coats.

Finally, unmask the side of the fretboard, leaving the top side masked and clear coat the lot. Applying more to the fretboard and sanding/levelling in the neck.

EDIT: possibly masking off the rest of the coloured neck to bring the fretboard levels up!?!

Is this correct? I am well confused when it comes to painting a neck! Any help would be much appreciated.

JT

wokkaboy
24-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Hi Mateyboy, your plans sound good. So is the EX body you have routed is the neck pocket the same as the kit ? Assuming it will be a set neck you need to insert the neck into position and mark a line where it meets the body. You need to mask the neck heel where it will be glued and it has to be masked for the whole paint/clear process.
Might help to post a pic of the neck in position and be good to see the body you routed

dingobass
24-11-2015, 09:48 AM
You can go the way Woks suggested or you can do the whole lot when constructed.

The Woks method is the easy way, but you will be left with obvious joins at the neck pocket.

The method you have described will work, but I would avoid applying any finish to the fretboard.

So, mask the fretboard, paint everything that moves, let it cure for at least 21 days and then the real fun begins.... Cut and polish :p

Mateyboy
24-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Wok the routed body and neck are in this post: http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4508&p=89740#post89740

Dingo: the concern I have is that I'll have an uneven layer of black paint where the neck joins the fretboard, how do I cut it in so it is level with the fretboard without revealing the primer underneath?

Second, how do I finish the fretboard?

Thanks.

wokkaboy
24-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Hi Mateyboy, I missed your build diary thread.

As long as you get at least 3 good colour coats on the neck you shouldn't sand through to the primer. The thicknesses of the coats shouldn't be that noticeable compared to the fretboard. Just wet sand it with at least 1200 grit paper and cut and polish and it should look sweet. Obviously allow plenty of curing time.

Fretboard finish there are plenty of oils and waxes available. Dingo wax works well available from the PBG shop

Mateyboy
24-11-2015, 02:34 PM
I'll give that a go.

I think my first task before glueing the neck on is to stain the fretboard with some sort of ebony. After I have sanded down the whole thing!

Thanks guys.

wokkaboy
24-11-2015, 02:51 PM
sounds good Mateyboy, so you want the fretboard darker than rosewood ?

Mateyboy
24-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Yes just a little bit darker. I'll probably do that before I glue the neck in.

wokkaboy
24-11-2015, 03:04 PM
cool Matey, best get as much done before you glue the neck as it will be much more awkward to work on