PDA

View Full Version : Question about wiring diagrams (wire colours) from a complete amateur

johnc
21-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Hi folks,
Apologies if this has been covered, I couldnt find anything in the forum.
I'm in the process of setting up the wiring for my ES-12G.
I'm going off the Pitbull diagram (2 humbucker, 4 pots, 3 way switch)
I've noticed there is a red wire shown running from switch to bridge volume
and a green wire running from neck volume to neck tone
(This is the noob question). Are all the insulated wires the same?
ie, as I dont have a red or green wire can I use another colour?
thanks
john

andrewdosborne
21-11-2015, 06:45 PM
All wires are the same. I find the colour coding helps in figuring out what goes where.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

johnc
21-11-2015, 06:48 PM
excellent. thanks andrew

Brendan
21-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Yhep - wire colours are only different to help see what goes where. Don't feel you need to copy the colours - I've just tried to make them all different so it's as obvoius as possible to see where it starts and finishes. I tend to use black and white push back wire (this stuff http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/upgrades/all-parts-vintage-cloth-push-back-wire-white-500mm/) so my control cavities are pretty much monochromatic :).

johnc
21-11-2015, 09:26 PM
thanks brendan, i'm just using the wiring that came with the kit.
Any advantage in using the braided wiring? apart from it looking good ;)

Gavin1393
21-11-2015, 10:58 PM
thanks brendan, i'm just using the wiring that came with the kit.
Any advantage in using the braided wiring? apart from it looking good ;)
Quality braided wire will offer less resistance than the cheaper wire option, but the main reason is for shielding - so if you like to hear hum or the local radio station while playing your guitar, then avoid shielding it! ;)

Brendan
22-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Other advantage I find is that you don't have to trim the sheath - you just push it back out of the way. Other wires need to trim the shielding, which inevitably for me turns into cutting the wires shorter and shorter :).

johnc
23-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Thanks gavin/brendan,
I think i'll go with the braided. (I already have 1 radio, dont need another ;) ).
I just did a mock up with the wire that came with the kit and its a bit of a mess.

Brendan
23-11-2015, 06:23 PM
All of our firsts do... As with anything with the guitars - take your time and it will improve.

johnc
26-11-2015, 04:20 PM
thanks brendan, , i'm thinking (hoping?) of using a set up similar to this.
I'm guessing with the braided wire that the braid acts as a ground, which means i don't need to add the extra wires between pots as shown in the pitbull diagram?
Also i've noticed that rather than connecting the capacitors between the output and ground of the tone pots as in the pitbull diagram these are connected between the volume/tone pots for each pickup. Is there any advantage to this?

WeirdBits
26-11-2015, 05:42 PM
With larger caps it's often easier to connect them between the pots and it saves having to use a link wire. Smaller caps are usually easier to work with on the pot itself at the cost of having to use a wire link. Use whichever style best suits you and your particular build.

Brendan
26-11-2015, 08:53 PM
The white and black sheaths are just cotton (or something like that) - you can get shielded which does have a metal sheath, (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/upgrades/all-parts-vintage-cloth-wire-with-braided-shield-500mm/) - I think you'll find that's what they have used for the kit electronics you've shown.

johnc
30-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Excellent, thanks guys