PDA

View Full Version : Source of thin Figured Maple Veneer request - for finish testing

Tweaky
19-11-2015, 04:27 PM
As the post title asks.

I'm after some of that very thin [0.5mm] Maple veneer [preferably striped ATM ]
I want is solely for testing various staining ideas .....rather stupid and expensive testing on Guitar bodies.

I bought some from a some Estore in Aus, but the sheet sizes were only big enough to maybe veneer a headstock...pretty useless for my needs...plus they cost me far more than I think they were worth...Hell, I bought 3X 3mm thick Rosewood Veneer for putting on my ES-3 Kit's Headstock that cost less.

I need them to test sunburst effects using watercolour pencils first.
Then different combo's of stains and the above, also with all the DingoTone colours I've bought, and graduated layers of Dingtone with and without the intensifier / then with of without wax finish.

It doesn't have to be able to be bookmatched, as it will never be glued to a guitar...sheets of MDF is their fate, then photographed next to a Xrite colour checker passport under controlled lighting conditions.

The end result will be meaningful comparisons.

I'd be quite happy to post the results at the forum for all to view once done.

All I need is a source that can mail / Courier, and a general cost I'm looking at for say sheets 30cm by 15cm...I don't know what sheet sizes these things come in.

dingobass
19-11-2015, 04:36 PM
How many sheets are you after, Tweaky?

Tweaky
19-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Depends what the size is first, I need them a Minimum 30cm L 15cm W....results would be meaningless on anything smaller.

In Dingtones testing case, I would need to grid off a stripe of bare wood first as the control, then subsequent coats of Dingtone in ever increasing layers.
Going by you Video Tutorials- I'd need say 7 of these, then do the intensifier 1-7 over those, so 42 grids, then how they looked un waxed, then waxed.

That's why the sheets need to be like half a Strat sized, in a regular Striped Maple figure.

Depends how much they cost as well.....If you guys only knew how much I've thrown at these 3 kit guitars before I've even begun sanding [ I've had them 3 months :eek: ].....I don't really mind.

I just want great results,I've been doing a LOT of research, and gathering the tools for what I WANT to do -a lot nobody NEED's [expensive part] and if I can help other get great results in the process....well that's made it worthwhile.

dingobass
19-11-2015, 04:59 PM
OK, thats quite a sizable amount.
Try these folk, I hear their prices are reasonable.
http://www.kerriebearveneers.com/rawmaterials.html

Tweaky
19-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks....it's been a bit of a rip off story trying to find a source in Sydney.
I'll check them out.
Seems the Chinese have a lot of it, easy to get 3mm thick veneer cheaply off Ebay, even the Figured stuff.

Why the wafer thin Figured Maple costs so much ......?

dingobass
19-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Don't know why it is so expensive.. Can only guess it is due to there being a lot of wastage with sawn veneers.
This doesn't explain why shaved veneers are so pricey though. Essentially they are cut with a machine that is basically a massive pencil sharpener, minimal wastage but still expensive...

wokkaboy
19-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Hi Tweaky,
assume the thin veneers are still expensive as the flame maple is pretty rare and needs to be cut with expensive machinery.

You could also try this guy in Perth had some flame maple sheets about 900mm x 280mm for about $25, he may have some left, that was about 3 months ago I got some. It is still advertised on his website. Not sure if Derek posts it or not
http://thetimberbloke.com.au/

WeirdBits
19-11-2015, 06:07 PM
It may also be worth having a look here: www.topveneer.com.au

dingobass
19-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Oh yeah, how stupid of me... Totally forgot that Derek had that Flame Maple.. D'OH!

Tweaky
19-11-2015, 06:56 PM
I'll check that out.
It would be better than the best result I manage to get after several more hours searching.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/404385/figured-maple-heavy-curl-4x8-veneer-sheet-3m-psa-backed.aspx

EDIT: Actually I've visited that site before....NO mention of Figure Maple Veener before, just bog standard stuff....what have I missed?

Tweaky
19-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Actually cutting the Veneer is Moot.
It depends on the LOG they are cutting.

The log it put on a HUGE lathe, the Veneer is then sliced from it as the LOG is turned.....NO Magic.....you get what you get...Nature supplies it regarding the curl / burl / stripe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYDsIhy2VU