PDA

View Full Version : ES-3 body question - regarding internal bridge Stud mount block

Tweaky
15-11-2015, 03:57 PM
I know the ES- 3 kit is based on a Gibson ES-175.
The early ES-175's and the reissues of the original, come fitted with a floating carved rosewood bridge that sits on the guitars top.
The ES-3 kit differs in that it has the more modern Tune-o-matic style bridge, but using stud inserts into a rather thin wood block that is glued to the underside of the top, rather than a Tune-o-matic mounted atop a craved rosewood floating bridge like a new ES-175

Here's the question.
At first I thought that this wooden block ran all the way to the back of the guitar, and was glued to the inside of the guitars back, much like you would find a soundpost connecting a top and bottom inside a Cello or Violin.
I got out a inspection mirror to try and see if this is the case with the ES-3 kit.....well it's close, but the block runs down to nearly touch the inside of the guitars back, but doesn't seem to be glued to it....lack of sufficient light inside the body, plus not having that great of view via this small mirror has left me wondering.

1] Is this wooden bridge block supposed to be glued to the inside rear of the guitars back?
2] Or is it only supposed to be floating just above the inside guitar back [to give mass for the bridge mounting studs]
3] Anybody tried coupling the two?