PDA

View Full Version : Grover 406C Tuners

adam
14-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Hey Guys, we have just listed the Grover 406C Mini Rotomatics Tuners on the site; we've got them in chrome, black, black nickel and gold.

These were recommended by Kimball and, I have to say, they are a really sweet piece of kit. Here's what Sweetwater.com says about them:

"Grover Rotomatic 406C mini locking guitar tuning machine heads make quick work of tuning. With a gear ratio of 18:1, these locking tuners give you all the benefits of standard Rotomatics - plus the positive locking of Grover's internal cam post. Insert your string through the string hole, pull to tension by hand, and start to tune. As you begin tuning, only the locking cam in the string post turns. The string post begins to turn once the string is locked. In under one string post revolution, you'll be in tune. And you'll stay in tune, with Grover's Rotomatic 406C locking guitar tuning machines."

Grover have been very generous with their pricing and given us "Manufacturer's Pricing", on the sole condition that we ONLY sell them as an upgrade to a PBG kit.

So, if you're looking to purchase a new PBG kit, just add the tuners to your order. If you're in the process of a build, with a My Build Diary, and you want to add these tuners, just place the order and msg me with an invoice number or approx date you purchased the kit, and all is sweet. As long as we can match the tuners to a PBG kit purchase we can keep the product at this incredibly low price.

DrNomis_44
14-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Cheers, I might buy a set of three-a-side Chrome Grover 406C tuners for my PRS SE Custom 24 guitar soon, I tried some Grover locking machines on it before but I found that the high E-string had a tendency to break right inside the string hole when I was tuning it up to pitch, to stop the string from breaking I had to thread the string twice through the hole before tuning up to pitch, Grover may have sorted the issue out though.

gavinturner
14-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Wow Adam, what an amazing price. Will definitely be upgrading a couple of my existing kits as soon as I can find the invoice numbers.

cheers
Gav.

Gavin1393
14-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Gav, Invoice numbers may be under your profile....

adam
15-11-2015, 04:59 AM
Wow Adam, what an amazing price. Will definitely be upgrading a couple of my existing kits as soon as I can find the invoice numbers.

cheers
Gav.

Gav, you can just tell me the model number of the kit and roughly when you bought it.

vh2580
15-11-2015, 05:21 AM
Wow that's cheap.
See that Floyds have been added as well.
Becoming a major one stop shop Adam.

dingobass
15-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Grovers, Floyds and dont forget the Babicz bridges as well!

Peeps, we have got some awesome upgrades in store now :)

stan
15-11-2015, 06:52 AM
sweet, this is turning into a one stop shop

keloooe
15-11-2015, 08:46 AM
At this rate I wont have to go anywhere else!

wokkaboy
15-11-2015, 09:02 AM
nice one Ads I'll be trying the Grover tuners and the price seems very good

wazkelly
15-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Count me in for a set of black 6 inline for the EX-1 kit that just arrived on Thursday.
Adam, I will include details of that invoice in the order. V
Cheers, Waz

daviduzzo29
16-03-2017, 09:17 AM
The Mini can be mounted only on the Stratocaster headstock? The larger Rotomatic no? Which would be those mounted by Gibson guitars on some models. I was thinking of putting grover on LP-1S kit but do not know if they fit.

adam
16-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Hi Daviduzzo29, the Grover 406C Mini Rotomatics Tuners are perfect for our LP kits, they also work on 6 inline headstocks. It's the regular (larger) size Rotomatics that won't work on a 6 inline headstock (or maybe they do, but it would be a tight fit... I'm sure someone here who actually knows these things will let us know).

The Mini can be mounted only on the Stratocaster headstock? The larger Rotomatic no? Which would be those mounted by Gibson guitars on some models. I was thinking of putting grover on LP-1S kit but do not know if they fit.

Simon Barden
16-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Whilst they would work, the Mini Rotomatics would look rather undersized on a LP headstock, and you'd normally fit the standard Grovers. On the standard Grovers the overall body length is 5mm longer (measured along the length of the headstock), which is why the standard ones won't fit on a Strat or Tele headstock.

The tuner buttons on the standard Grovers are correspondingly larger as well: You need enough space between the tuner buttons so that you don't catch the one either side when tuning up, so ones designed for 6-in line headstocks (where the tuners are closer together) have to be smaller. On the kidney-bean style tuner buttons, the minis are 18mm wide, the standard ones 23mm wide.

If you were making a compact 3+3 headstock, say a bit like a Music-Man, then the minis would be ideal. But for a LP, I'd go with the standard Grovers, the 102-18 series (which have an 18:1 gear ratio for even better tuning than the 14:1 ratio of the minis), also available on the PBG site as very affordable quality upgrades when ordering a kit.

daviduzzo29
16-03-2017, 08:55 PM
But in updates the standard grover have not seen them!
Perhaps I saw them, I by chance the grover 102-18? these are better for LP?
But instead of the mechanical that lie within the full chrome or gold upgrade, not have the same seal of Rotomatic?

Simon Barden
16-03-2017, 11:42 PM
No, I'm sorry. The PBG site only has the non-locking standard size Grover Rotomatics (102-18), but the mini-Rotomatics (406) are the locking type. The standard size locking Grovers are either the 106 series (same locking mechanism as the 406), the bottom locking 502 series (which looks most like a standard tuner from the front if looks are important) and the tip locking 602 series.

The 102 series are what Gibson would fit to a Les Paul or an SG etc.

Here's the Grover website. https://www.grotro.com/Grover/ROTOMATICS

Unless you plan on fitting a tremolo unit to the kit, the standard Grovers are more than adequate for keeping the guitar in tune (and the 18:1 gear ratio versions make it even easier to hit the tuning sweet spot). But if you really want locking tuners at a very good price, then go for the mini-Rotomatics. But they will look just a bit small on a standard LP headstock. More suited to fitting on a LP Junior, Special or Melody maker that had the small button tuners to start with. But they will work, and it's your guitar so you make the choices and make it how you want to make it and not how I'd make it. :)

daviduzzo29
17-03-2017, 12:30 AM
So if in the kit take a Upgrde gold or chrome, the tuners are not self-locking. The grover Rotomatic 102-12 standards are not self-locking, so I would not have differences? The differences I would only with the mini 406 which are self-locking, I understand you correctly? Then perhaps there will be differences in construction or materials among those inside the kit and Rotomatic 102-18 do not know.

Simon Barden
17-03-2017, 12:54 AM
If you pay for Grovers as an upgrade with a kit (the only way PBG sell them), then the standard kit tuners will be removed and the Grovers you selected will be put in the packaging instead. You choose the finish you want (chrome, black or gold) to match the rest of the kit's hardware. The basic kit tuners work adequately, but they are not of the same quality as the Grovers (which are really good tuners).

Amongst the Grover tuners, there is no difference in quality or materials between the standard or mini versions, just the size. The Grovers that PBG sell give you the choice between using locking mini-rotomatics (with a 14:1 gear ratio) or the 18:1 gear ratio version of the non-locking standard-size Rotomatics.

Or if you want a more traditional '50s look to your Les Paul, then get the non-locking vintage 135 series Grovers. They are still 14:1 ratio tuners and work just as well as the other non-locking Grovers with a 14:1 gear ratio.

daviduzzo29
17-03-2017, 03:54 AM
Thank I so much here I got it right

adam
17-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Thanks Simon, I had it the wrong way round, the minis work best on 6 inline, standards for 3-a-side.

I'm slowly adding some new Grover Tuners to the site, which we've jut received... after lengthy negotiations.

They are Chinese, licensed versions, actually recommended to us by the good folks at Grover.

You'll see the prices are very reasonable and the quality looks good.

Hopefully I'll have them all up on the site by tonight.

Simon Barden
17-03-2017, 05:57 PM
That's great news, Adam.

daviduzzo29
17-03-2017, 09:40 PM
I sent emails to quote, got no answer, maybe you do not understand and I mistranslated?

adam
18-03-2017, 10:24 PM
I sent emails to quote, got no answer, maybe you do not understand and I mistranslated?

Hi daviduzzo29, I think I responded on email, let me know if you still need a response.

jsergeant
23-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Any idea when these will be back in stock? I just went to purchase a kit and was hoping to upgrade to the Grover 406Cs but no go.

Twobeers
24-05-2017, 10:29 AM
I purchased a Gold set of these 406C machine heads. I must say they are really, really pretty. But unfortunately, or not, I came across a sale of a Gibson G-Force machine head/motorized tuner for a absolutely fabulous price. Having had previous experience with the G-Force how could I resist However, this set of Grover 406C machine heads will not go to waste they'll go on my Warmoth Traveler guitar. I had been thinking about replacing those stock tuners for sometime with something more acurate:cool:.

jsergeant
25-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Any idea when these will be back in stock? I just went to purchase a kit and was hoping to upgrade to the Grover 406Cs but no go.

Nevermind, got in touch with Adam and he fixed the site for back order. Cheers Adam. Awesome quick customer service too.

Ricardo
02-06-2017, 03:13 PM
I'm about to order one of the new TLA-12 kits and I was wondering about upgrading to the 205c mini rotomatics.

Two questions, firstly can I double dip on the "only available with a kit" system? As it's a 12 string I will need 2 sets of six to make it work.

Secondly, will the 205c's even work with this kit? I figure I will need mini's as it's basically a Tele' style headstock times two, so would two sets of 3+3's be the way to go? or is it a 6-inline plus a 6-inline reverse? Seems to me it should be the same either way.

Hope someone can shed some light on this, thanks.

adam
03-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Hi Ricardo, yes, just order 2 sets when you order the kit.

Yes, the 205c's will fit, just the Vintage style tuners which are too wide at the base for a 6 inline.

Ricardo
04-06-2017, 07:02 AM
Thanks Adam, order has been placed.

I love a happy ending.