PDA

View Full Version : My Audio Interfaces.

DrNomis_44
14-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Just thought you guys might like to see a pic of the Audio Interfaces I use in my little studio in my bedroom, so here goes, starting from the top:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface....I use this mainly with my Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop.

Digidesign Digi001 Audio Interface......I use this with my old late 90's era Dual 500Mhz G4 Macintosh that's running ProTools LE6.4.

Focusrite Saffire Pro40 Firewire 400 Audio Interface....I use this with my Desktop PC which is my main studio computer.

Digidesign Digi002 Firewire 400 Audio Interface...I also use this with my Desktop PC, useful for adding more inputs.6539

wokkaboy
14-11-2015, 01:32 PM
looks good Doc plenty of adjustments and controls

kimball492
14-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Hey DrNomis I think there all pretty dam good audio interfaces. The Scarlett 212 is also iPad compatible.The Saffire Pro 40 gives you plenty of ins and outs and the Digidesign 002 I believe still works with Pro Tools 12.

DrNomis_44
14-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Hey DrNomis I think there all pretty dam good audio interfaces. The Scarlett 212 is also iPad compatible.The Saffire Pro 40 gives you plenty of ins and outs and the Digidesign 002 I believe still works with Pro Topls 12.

Pretty much all recently manufactured Audio Interfaces should work with the most recent versions of ProTools since Avid have opened up the ProTools software, back in the early days of ProTools you had to use Digidesign hardware otherwise the software simply wouldn't run, I like the sound of the preamps in the 2i2 and Saffire Pro 40, I think they sound better to my ears than the preamps in the Digi002, I've been seriously thinking of doing the Black Lion mod to my Digi002 but it'll probably cost me something like Au$500.00 or so.

kimball492
14-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Doc the black audio upgrades are brilliant and well worth doing but the postage to USA and back kills it. I know these guys make brilliant mics and do some audio mods and upgrades in Australia may be worth an email to see if they can work on the 002 https://openplanrecording.wordpress.com/2012/11/28/behringer-ada-8000-ultimate-mod/
I've seen one and heard one of the Behringer ADA 8000 mods they did. Who knows they might be able to help you.

keloooe
14-11-2015, 06:42 PM
ONe day I'll have my 2i2.... Killer little interface for recording!

DrNomis_44
14-11-2015, 07:06 PM
ONe day I'll have my 2i2.... Killer little interface for recording!

I got my 2i2 in a Focusrite Scarlett Studio package bundle for Au$399.00, pretty glad I bought it as I ended up with a good Focusrite condenser mic as well, you should be able to order the Focusrite Scarlett Studio package bundle from most good music shops, JB HiFi might even stock them too.6541

jarrod
15-11-2015, 07:44 AM
ESUI808 with 18 inputs, hooked up through the Eleven rack with a 4 headphone output unit running Protools 11.3. Big thanks to Kimball who gave great advice on setting this rig up a few months ago. Soon I will be home to fricken use it again.

kimball492
15-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Great interface Jarrod, they are currently doing the update for pro tools 12.3 for $99.00 great update. Get it if you can.
Here's some update info on what's new. It's faster more reliable and some great new features
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/search?q=Pro%20tools%2012.3&f_collectionId=55021246e4b0781cf3b85ed3

The first option is best at $199.00 as it gives you new free plugins and the latest eleven rack software with new updated amps cabinets and mics

http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?viewState=DetailView&cartID=&sku=DYNAPA20003&&store=shop

Eleven Rack upgrade
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2015/11/13/avid-announce-eleven-mk-ii-plug-in
https://youtu.be/nf435nKgV1A

Dont forget the eleven rack is a fantastic interface for bass players too.

keloooe
15-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Dont forget the eleven rack is a fantastic interface for bass players too.

Yeah, I've heard amazing stuff about it!

Time to pick the brains of KB and DrN. Would this be a nice interface to start with? I wont use mics for guitars and bass, but I do have mics for drums and vocals, and with my monitors and the headphones I have I should be fine to get rolling.
Link: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/headphones-dj/recording-interfaces/m-audio/m-audio-m-track-mk2-audio-interface/330033/

jarrod
15-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Start with? This thing is all you will ever need. The eleven rack for amp modeling is the most accurate I have ever played with.

jarrod
15-11-2015, 10:35 AM
I play bass through it too Pest and get some great tones.

DrNomis_44
15-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I've heard amazing stuff about it!

Time to pick the brains of KB and DrN. Would this be a nice interface to start with? I wont use mics for guitars and bass, but I do have mics for drums and vocals, and with my monitors and the headphones I have I should be fine to get rolling.
Link: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/headphones-dj/recording-interfaces/m-audio/m-audio-m-track-mk2-audio-interface/330033/

That M Audio M Track Audio interface looks like it has similar specs to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 so therefore I reckon it should be good enough to get you up and running, make sure you download the most up to date drivers from the M Audio website, they might even offer some additional software downloads too, if you have any problems setting it up feel free to pm me for any help mate, hope it goes well.

And just for some giggles, here's a pic of my old Dual 500Mhz G4 Mac, I replaced the original single 450Mhz CPU module with a dual 500Mhz CPU module, installed four new 512Mb SDRam stick and replaced the original graphics card with a new beefier one, the G4 is running OS X Panther and ProTools LE6.4:6546

keloooe
15-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Start with? This thing is all you will ever need. The eleven rack for amp modeling is the most accurate I have ever played with.

No Jrod, I was talking about the M-Audio interface I linked!

kimball492
15-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Hi Kels, the M-Audio is good, as is the Scarlett 2i2. The preamps are a little better quality on the Scarlett.
A couple of others I'd recommend as you get used to using them Kels and give you a little bit more
Versatility. Check out these:
http://www.musicradar.com//reviews/tech/scarlett-2i2-529226

http://www.musicradar.com//reviews/tech/audiobox-22vsl-533991
The benefits of the Personus are it gives you midi so you can plug in foot pedals
and midi keyboards as and when you get or use these. One other benefit is it comes
with Studio One Artist brilliant DAW package. If it's down to budget get the m-audio.

My personal recommendation Kels is this if you don't need midi, get the Scarlett 2i2
It works with Macs, PCs and iPads.
http://youtu.be/AxsvH3ekrkk

Kels If you'd love the added midi facility, you could add synths pianos control virtual instruments and foot pedals, get the Presonus Audiobox 22vsl and Studio One is Mac pc and iPad compatible . The latency on this unit is approx 5ms, this means the delay between you plucking the string, it then going into the interface and software and you hearing it. That is very fast, a big bonus.
http://youtu.be/FrO3IW8XOLE
If you just buy the interface it's fantastic, here's Rob Chapman using the studio box if you already have mics and headphones you won't need them anyway.

jarrod
15-11-2015, 02:44 PM
No Jrod, I was talking about the M-Audio interface I linked!

Roger that

DrNomis_44
15-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Ultimately, whichever Audio Interface you buy is going to be dictated by your budget if your budget is tight, and also what computer hardware you're going to be connecting the Audio Interface up to, you sometimes come across cheap USB Audio Interfaces by Edirol, I know one guy in Darwin who bought one and both he and I had major headaches just getting it to work with his computer, just so you know.

DrNomis_44
15-11-2015, 03:21 PM
ESUI808 with 18 inputs, hooked up through the Eleven rack with a 4 headphone output unit running Protools 11.3. Big thanks to Kimball who gave great advice on setting this rig up a few months ago. Soon I will be home to fricken use it again.

That ESUI808 looks like a cool bit of Studio kit, I've decided that I'm definitely going to start buying myself an Eleven Rack starting early next year after the Christmas season.

kimball492
15-11-2015, 03:55 PM
The ESU1808 for the money there's nothing to touch it for the amount of inputs pre amp quality and price $399.00.
http://www.soundtown.com.au/products/clearance/esi-esu1808-18in-8out-usb-audio-interface/

You can record a whole band with this thing. Glad you like yours Jarrod. The pre amps are great quality, clean that you can always add colour to using a di or plugins. Again Kels it's down to budget. Im personally not a fan of m-audio as they drop products and support, and leave you with hardware that won't work with the latest operating systems. At the end of the day what matters are these things budget, spec, build quality and support. Read reviews make sure it will do what you want then purchase the one you can afford and feel fits your needs. If you have any other questions Keloooe just ask.Good luck Kimball.
https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/articles/esiesu1808.htm

P.s what computers operating systems do you use Kels

DrNomis_44
15-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Also, when shopping for an Audio Interface do alot of shopping around before you commit to a purchase, you might be able to get a good deal at another shop that offers the same Audio Interface at a lower price.

I'm just currently working on a little PsyTrance track I started making not long after I re-installed FL Studio back onto my Laptop after doing the upgrade to Windows 10 Threshold 2, now, if my ears aren't playing tricks on me I reckon my Scarlett 2i2 is sounding even better than it did before, might see if I can finish the track off and maybe post a sound cloud link for you guys if you're interested.

kimball492
15-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Window 10 does seem to deal with audio in a better way. It locates streams quicker. I've not had one buffer error since loading Win 10 and pro tools 12.3

DrNomis_44
15-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Window 10 does seem to deal with audio in a better way. It locates streams quicker. I've not had one buffer error since loading Win 10 and pro tools 12.3

Might just be something to do with the new Kernel Microsoft created for Windows 10 perhaps, I do remember reading somewhere that they did implement a new Kernel in one of their latest OSes.

I've got a good basic mix of the track I'm working on, just needs a bit more work on it to fine tune the arrangement, maybe add some more elements and then it'll be ready to upload to soundcloud.

kimball492
15-11-2015, 06:32 PM
They also hired a consultant to advise them on audio which has helped immensely

DrNomis_44
15-11-2015, 06:34 PM
They also hired a consultant to advise them on audio which has helped immensely

That was definitely a good move on their part, their new CEO Satya Nadella has certainly steered Microsoft in the right direction.

jtsargeant
15-11-2015, 08:02 PM
It may be worth while to consider the guitar/bass to be used with the interface if anyone is looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. There are some reports of this interface having issues with high output pickups if being used directly. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 has a pad switch which apparently resolves the issue. I do not have any experience with either unit, just thought I'd put it out there.

kimball492
15-11-2015, 08:26 PM
I agree JT with my Bartolini the bass pickups output is too high for the Scarlett but I go into DI box that sorts it out. That kind of sensitivity is also a bonus when you have guitars or basses that have very low output pickups. I also think that's what can also give you that overdriven pre amp sound we sometimes need and love when we record. I love the Halo lights around the gain control that flash red,whenever you go over level a great visual aid. I use the Scarlett 2i2 whenever I travel or just practicing or songwriting with the iPad. It's the reason I bought it as the preamps sound great with anything you throw at it vocals bass, guitars keyboards even recording acoustic instruments it's great for the price. Focusrite do make amazing mic pres. But remember when you record in the digital domain, don't let those meters slam into the red. Best recordings are kept in the 3/4 of the green LEDS

kimball492
16-11-2015, 03:36 AM
Kels had another recommendation the Novation Audiobus 2x4 has additional usb sockets for midi controllers and foot pedals.
I believe it was made by focusrite for Novation so again great preamps.http://youtu.be/amnaC5K-EaQ Cost about $199 AUS

kimball492
22-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Kels did you get your Audio Inteface.

DrNomis_44
22-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Kels did you get your Audio Inteface.

+1

Which Interface did you end up going with Kels?

keloooe
22-11-2015, 06:05 PM
Oh yeah forgot to reply haha! As a band we managed to buy one, we will give it a rip next Sunday after the others finish their exams and I'll see if I can throw up photos and demos too!

Also taking a look at that Audiobus now KB, there's too many decent starting points for a personal home studio it's crazy! Hopefully I can have a nice setup when I finish year 12 so I can have some experience heading into my Audio Production course :D

DrNomis_44
22-11-2015, 06:55 PM
If any of you guys are using your Audio Interfaces with a PC, there's a handy little App for PCs that can help you get the best performance out of your Audio Interface, it's called DPC Latency Checker, what does DPC mean?, DPC is short for Deferred Procedure Call, basically a DPC is a signal that the CPU gets while it's working on something, when the CPU gets a DPC it stops what it's working on and starts working on whatever it is that generated the DPC, usually a peripheral, such as the LAN, or Bluetooth for example, the time taken for the CPU to stop what it is currently doing when it gets a DPC to when it starts working on whatever generated the DPC, is what's called the DPC Latency, when it comes to Audio recording and playback, having a system with low DPC Latency is critical for good performance without Audio breakup or noticeable dropouts, here's a link to the website where you can download the App, I don't know what the Mac equivalent is, or if there is even one though, it's a free download:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

kimball492
24-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Glad you got something sorted Kels look forward to the review. For future studio builds when you have a bit more money, this is a great currently lots of ins and outs plus it has spdif to connect more units together.

Details

ESU1808 shows the latest audio interface technology for external usage on notebook and desktop computers.
The USB 2.0 Hi-Speed audio interface for Mac & PC shows what is really possible with USB 2.0. ESI's new USB 2 Xtreme technology boosts USB audio to a new level, providing better performance for better results.
The 1U rack unit comes with not less than 18 input channels, 2 of them are high quality microphone preamps with balanced XLR inputs and +48V phantom power, 2 of them allow a direct connection of instruments (Hi-Z), 4 line inputs on the front for unbalanced and 8 line inputs on the rear for balanced signals and there is a coaxial S/PDIF input. There are 8 balanced analog output channels, one channel pair is also provided as coaxial S/PDIF output. Last but not least ESU1808 comes with a MIDI I/O port providing 16 input and 16 output channels.
All this makes ESU1808 a product that defines new standards for USB audio for professional applications. Never before you have seen this number of I/O channels on a USB audio product in this price range. When will it light your fire?
Features
USB 2.0 Hi-Speed support based on ESI's USB 2 Xtreme technology
18 input channels / 8 output channels at 24-bit/96khz
2 precision & low noise microphone preamps (XLR input) with gain controls, pad switch and peak LEDs, +48V phantom power
2 direct instrument inputs (Hi-Z) with gain control and peak LEDs
12 balanced/unbalanced analog inputs (1/4' TRS, -10dBv/+4dBu, ADC 107dB)
8 balanced/unbalanced analog outputs (1/4' TRS, -10dBv/+4dBu, DAC 112dB)
headphone amplifier (1/4' stereo phone jack) with volume control
16 channel MIDI I/O
RCA connectors for coaxial S/PDIF I/O
supported sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48.0kHz, 88.2kHz, 96.0 kHz