PDA

View Full Version : Sp@mmers

Brendan
13-11-2015, 09:41 PM
As many have seen recently there has been an increase in spam that is being dumped on the forum. As Mods, it has been great that everyone is letting us know about spam as it pops up - we've all got "real" (read other) jobs to go to so can't be on the forum 24 x 7. So please keep letting us know - we do try to bop it on the head as soon as we can. We are looking into the source and if we can stop it from getting through, but haven't been totally successful to date.

If you do see spam or something that looks suspiciously like spam - please DON'T click on any links - even for laughs. I know it's telling many of you how to suck eggs, but having had to devirussize a couple of friends PC's after nasty links, I don't want anyone else to have to work through it themselves. Who knows what the spammers are also getting from you when you do click the links as well.

So thanks to everyone for their vigilance and please keep it up - until we have this nutted, they may pop through on occasion, but with some attention, we should minimise any harm.

Gavin1393
13-11-2015, 11:14 PM
We have temporarily shut down the welcome threads.....this has been their target. Lets hope they get bored and go-away.

DrNomis_44
14-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Cheers for that Mods, I know only too well how much of a pain spam is, I'm a member of another Forum (Freestompboxes.org) that gets hit by spam alot, mostly to do with either Nike shoes or Louis Vuitton products, in each of the thread posts at Freestompboxes.org there's a little triangle-shaped icon used to report a thread post if it is spam, the Mods then deal with it.

It appears that the good majority of spam seems to be coming from somewhere in China.

Keep up the good work, much appreciated, and yes I try to be proactive too.

Brendan
14-11-2015, 01:29 PM
No worries - we've got something similar. Little triangle with an "!" directly under the poster's avatar. Feel free to use this if you see any spam - we'll hopefully be able to nuke it and the user promptly.

wokkaboy
14-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Cheers Bman and Mods for getting ontop of it. Now I know what the triangle is for I'll hit it if I see any spam

Brendan
14-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Spam - offensive language - bullying - anything you think shouldn't be here and want to report to the mod squad. We'll have a quick gek and make a call - blatant spammers - no warnings, just nuked.

DrNomis_44
14-11-2015, 02:37 PM
No worries, I have just noticed the little triangle shaped icon so I will make sure I do use it if/when I see any spam and,or, offensive posts, I'll be able to get more pro-active in the fight against spam now, the last thing I want to have to do is wade through x-number of irrelevant spam posts just to get to the one post with info that could get me out of a jam.

The people running the servers that the spammers use could get a bit more pro-active too, apparently there are international laws dealing with spam and spammers already in existence, whether those laws are being enforced or not is anyone's guess.

kimball492
14-11-2015, 02:45 PM
I agree Brendan, these people all drive us crazy, be it our spam emails at work and home. The more people that jump on these stamp them out the better. Thanks for pointing out the triangle

Gavin1393
14-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Wokka, please stop reporting all DB's posts......they can't ALL be offensive! :p

DrNomis_44
14-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Wokka, please stop reporting all DB's posts......they can't ALL be offensive! :p

Lol....that just made my day....cheers.

Brendan
16-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Good news - our Tech Support guy has implemented some extra protection so fingers crossed, the spammers will move on to another forum and annoy them!

We still haven't worked out a way to protect us from the Pest though ;).

dingobass
16-11-2015, 09:03 PM
We still haven't worked out a way to protect us from the Pest though ;).

Industrial sized can of Mortien?

kimball492
16-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Try these guys Brendan

wokkaboy
16-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Need something stronger than mortein to keep the Pest away. Usually locking him in the NW cupboard under the stairs works

Gavin1393
16-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Need something stronger than mortein to keep the Pest away. Usually locking him in the NW cupboard under the stairs works
Now why would you want to do such a thing! what would our forum be without our pest (other than bug free)?!!!

keloooe
17-11-2015, 05:04 AM

No, I'm still here! Sorry guys but nothing so far can get rid of me!

Crusader
17-11-2015, 07:06 AM
"A million bucks worth of weaponry, and I'd trade it all back for a lousy can of Raid."

some of the posts above made me think of this quote..

Arzi
19-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Someone from the mods or a spammer has put an avatar in my profile. Not that I wouldn't appreciate the help with a picture - I don't really like that artistic expression with my name on it. Nice try but wouldn't use it...

If it's a joke by one of the mods it's a good one - if not then this is one more childish prank of a spammer or what not...

wokkaboy
19-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Hey Arzi doubt it's a spammer but you can never say never.
Just change it to a photo of one of your builds, just go to "Settings" and on the left side "edit avatar"

Arzi
19-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Well

Didn't wanna take it away before I could spread the joy. Now that I think of it - it's not that bad although I think I'll change it anyway. :)

wokkaboy
19-11-2015, 11:59 AM
put it this way Arzi it's a heap better than the avatars the mods gave me hahaha I owe those guys more than one prank

Arzi
19-11-2015, 02:24 PM
You're right Woks! :)

dingobass
19-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Nothing wrong with Mod's choice of Avatars, Woks.....

dave.king1
19-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Nice to see the banned "members" showing up in bright red on my wife's semi intelligent i tablet device.

( I dislike apple with a passion, you buy the bloody thing for far more than they are worth and then have to give them your credit card details to turn the bloody thing on FFS )

keloooe
19-11-2015, 07:20 PM

Yeah, they seem appropriate! *smirk*

Gavin1393
20-11-2015, 01:03 AM
What is Wokka on about? Doesn't he like his Avatar.....you could always help him out with choosing a new one DB