PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

DrNomis_44
05-11-2015, 08:23 AM
I'm surprised no one has started a thread about this given that we probably also play the guitars we make, anyway, I've been seeing alot of American musicians ending up with something called Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, I think I might have temporarily suffered from a bit of it this year myself.

wokkaboy
05-11-2015, 08:29 AM
sounds like a nasty disease Doc, would a multiscale axe help with the more comfortable fretting hand positions ?

Fretworn
05-11-2015, 09:06 AM
About 15 years ago Guitar Player magazine did a series about avoiding overuse injuries. Generally the consensus is playing the guitar low (eg look at Pest's avatar) is a major cause. You should really be picking just above your belt buckle with the guitar positioned so your arms hang naturally in playing position without strain in your shoulders or wrists.

DrNomis_44
05-11-2015, 09:20 AM
sounds like a nasty disease Doc, would a multiscale axe help with the more comfortable fretting hand positions ?

It's actually not a disease, it's basically muscle strain from overuse, I think what happens is that a passageway in your wrist, called the Carpal Tunnel (it provides a path for the nerves that go to your hand), gets inflamed and it constricts around the nerves which are responsible for flexing your wrist and fingers, when that happens your hand goes numb and you can't move your wrist, fingers, or thumb, in serious cases you can end up permanently loosing the ability to use your hand because the pinched nerves can die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

wokkaboy
05-11-2015, 09:25 AM
wow ok thanks for the background Doc, no wonder you are a Doc !

DrNomis_44
05-11-2015, 09:42 AM
wow ok thanks for the background Doc, no wonder you are a Doc !

Lol....I wish, then I'd be able to make a fortune.

I see that you have a pic of Mark Brandon "Chopper" Reed as your Avatar, he passed away on the 9th October 2013, I think it was Liver failure from Cancer or something like that, he will be remembered as one of Australia's colourful characters, there's even a film based on his life.

keloooe
05-11-2015, 09:47 AM
About 15 years ago Guitar Player magazine did a series about avoiding overuse injuries. Generally the consensus is playing the guitar low (eg look at Pest's avatar) is a major cause. You should really be picking just above your belt buckle with the guitar positioned so your arms hang naturally in playing position without strain in your shoulders or wrists.

Aw thanks for the example there Fretty :D
IF you were all wondering if my bass is normally too low, I did raise it, the strap did slip a little during a song though... Normally my picking hand is right at my buckle height or a fraction below it, that is where I am most comfortable.

wokkaboy
05-11-2015, 10:06 AM
I see that you have a pic of Mark Brandon "Chopper" Reed as your Avatar, he passed away on the 9th October 2013, I think it was Liver failure from Cancer or something like that, he will be remembered as one of Australia's colourful characters, there's even a film based on his life.

haha cheers Doc, my avatar is actually a comedian Ronnie Johns imitating Chopper, he's damn funny - you can't read it but it says "you need a glass of harden the 'beep' up" hahah

if you want a laugh click on the YT link and warning some of the language isn't kid safe haha
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chopper+ronnie+johns

DrNomis_44
05-11-2015, 10:31 AM
haha cheers Doc, my avatar is actually a comedian Ronnie Johns imitating Chopper, he's damn funny - you can't read it but it says "you need a glass of harden the 'beep' up" hahah

if you want a laugh click on the YT link and warning some of the language isn't kid safe haha

Cheers, got that bookmarked now.

wokkaboy
05-11-2015, 10:33 AM
I've been watching some again Doc and trying not to laugh too loud at work, classic skits. I guarantee you won't stop laughing and make sure any kids aren't around !
A tip watch the first compilation 1 of 6 and the others will follow

stan
05-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Ronnie is more Chopper than Chopper, only to be outdone by Eric Bana in his biopic, loosely based on facts

wokkaboy
05-11-2015, 02:05 PM
haha yeah Stan, I've almost seen 5 of the 6 compilations of Ronnie Johns, he is so funny

dingobass
05-11-2015, 02:25 PM
My fave is when he unleashes on the big green shed...... Absolute classic.

The consensus with multiscale is that the wrist is held at more natural angle, therefore less strain.

stan
05-11-2015, 03:15 PM
since this is a family site, my fave is his list of people who can , um, go away...

wokkaboy
05-11-2015, 03:27 PM
My fave is when he unleashes on the big green shed...... Absolute classic.

@ DB I just found the Chopper let fly at the Green Shed, great stuff ! I haven't seen it before

@ Stan yes another classic

Joe Piler
31-03-2016, 04:10 AM
I used to get this when I started playing I let the neck hang down idk why and i still do it with my acoustic. Symptoms would pop up after a couple hours of playing and dissapear after a day or two. It got better after i adjusted my posture to a more "classical" pose.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6603 met Tapatalk

Andy40
31-03-2016, 04:26 AM
I suffered from it (playing guitar too low) when i was gigging.

I also used to suffer from it badly in my clutch hand when riding motorcycles a lot.

dave.king1
31-03-2016, 07:13 AM
I used to get this when I started playing I let the neck hang down idk why and i still do it with my acoustic. Symptoms would pop up after a couple hours of playing and dissapear after a day or two. It got better after i adjusted my posture to a more "classical" pose.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6603 met Tapatalk

One of the guys I jam with plays with the neck down and wonders why he has problems with barre chords, CTS will definitely be in his future if he gets serious about his playing and plays more often without sorting this minor problem.

The other day we were playing Boys Don't Cry and to clean his playing up I suggested that he play two string power chords up and down the neck ( hope I didn't offend him too much ;) )

Dedman
31-03-2016, 07:28 AM
It's a bit of a hard one to avoid. My mother has had both hands operated on for carpal tunnel and she was a shop keeper all her life. A lot of people develop it in their right (mouse) hand from computer use. I have it in my left hand to the point you can see the tendons standing up when I open my hand. I rode Ducati's and Harley's in my younger days and both had heavy clutches I blame that. Fortunately it only hurts when I open my hand flat, it's OK while playing guitar, but occasionally when driving I'll hit right on the damaged tendon and OW! Part of the joy of getting older I'm told.

DrNomis_44
20-05-2017, 04:50 AM

I watched the one about airport security....very funny.