PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Website: Plek.com

DrNomis_44
04-11-2015, 04:33 AM
Thought you guys might be interested in checking out this website:

http://www.plek.com/en_US/technik/interview-with-gerd-anke/

Rabbitz
04-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Apparently there is a shop in Sydney with a Plek - might be worth a Saturday wander down to Annandale.

Edited to Add:

$279-$299 for a Plek Set Up.

dingobass
04-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Interesting stuff.. But, its just another machine that allows badly trained techs/ shop assistants to mess with something they don't have any knowledge about... Sarcasm intended :p
I always ask my customers if they are a heavy or light handed player, this gives me an idea on how to setup their Guitar.
Then I do the final adjustments when they pick the Guitar up.

Learned this the hard way, I always set my personal Bass Guitars with a low action as I am a light fingered player... Not so good for those heathen sinners that play with a pick!

keloooe
04-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Learned this the hard way, I always set my personal Bass Guitars with a low action as I am a light fingered player... Not so good for those heathen sinners that play with a pick!

Agreed, originally I had the action on my bass as low as it could go, but I have also realised that a higher action just sounds better in terms of tone, as if there's more coming from me than the bass itself which is pretty neat, dunno if its just a placebo or not but eh, I'm not fussed, I like the slightly higher action!

jarrod
04-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Agreed, originally I had the action on my bass as low as it could go, but I have also realised that a higher action just sounds better in terms of tone, as if there's more coming from me than the bass itself which is pretty neat, dunno if its just a placebo or not but eh, I'm not fussed, I like the slightly higher action!

we are all very different . I like as low as I can go without buzz

wazkelly
04-11-2015, 08:09 PM
After having owned a mid 1970's Ric 4001S it was one of the best low actions I have ever encontered on a Bass and it didn't matter whether you used fingers or a pick. God how I miss that Bass. The things you do when money gets tight and live to regret many years later.

keloooe
05-11-2015, 07:34 AM

On guitars most definitely as low as you can go with no buzz!

wokkaboy
05-11-2015, 07:48 AM

Hey Jrod, unlike the guitar salesman that said fret buzz on a $5k guitar is normal bwhahahahhahaahha

I'm the same action on a guitar as low as possible with no fret buzz and bass can be a bit higher for tone

DrNomis_44
05-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Since I have small hands, I'm predominantly right-handed (I pic with my right hand), and my left hand (which I fret with) is not that strong, I tend to try and get the action on my guitars as low as I can get them without buzzing, if I play a guitar with a high action I find that it starts hurting between my left-hand thumb and forefinger my muscles tense up and I have to stop playing.

At one point I thought I had something called Carpal Tunnel Syndrome because my left wrist felt very sore everytime I flexed my wrist joint.

Fretworn
05-11-2015, 08:59 AM
I know of luthiers in Sydney and Melbourne who are making a small fortune undoing the damage caused by the Plek machines in those respective cities.

dingobass
05-11-2015, 09:07 AM
I know of luthiers in Sydney and Melbourne who are making a small fortune undoing the damage caused by the Plek machines in those respective cities.

Seconded. Was chatting with a few of my fellow Luthiers last night and the reaction in the trade is not positive.....

keloooe
05-11-2015, 09:45 AM
I've hear of these guys too.... Chatted with one a few months ago, everyone hates the Plek machines haha!

DrNomis_44
05-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Apparently my 2013 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio guitar has had it's fretboard Plekked at the factory, the frets have no visible wear on them.

andrewdosborne
05-11-2015, 10:27 AM
http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/What-the-Heck-is-PLEK.aspx

Looks like they've been pleking for a while!

dingobass
05-11-2015, 10:31 AM
One would hope that in the factory setting the machine would be setup correctly..
The problems spoken of are happening with the equipment being used in "repair" shops..

keloooe
05-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Gibson's Plek actually does a decent job from what I have seen!

jarrod
05-11-2015, 05:26 PM
I've hear of these guys too.... Chatted with one a few months ago, everyone hates the Plek machines haha!

I've hear of these guys too...?
Bazzinga

andrewdosborne
05-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Gibson's Plek actually does a decent job from what I have seen!
Actually pest your spot on. I have an SG that is set up with such precision it's quite incredible, it was manufactured in the early Plek period, maybe it was Plekked and/or passed through the hands of a craftsman.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

jarrod
05-11-2015, 05:40 PM
I have no doubt that on a shiney new neck the precision of the plek is imposible to match for quality and speed. I think a refurbished neck that is warn and well played needs the human touch.

dingobass
05-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Wot Jrod sed..
Also, in the repair shop situation there will be a grubson followed by a flounder followed by etc etc etc.
Add to this that most of the businesses that would have one of these would be interested in turning jobs around fast in order to try and pay for the machine....
This leads to half arsed setups being done....