PDA

View Full Version : December 2015 Guitar of the MOnth Competition

adam
02-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Enter your finished guitar here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars December 2015 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

One guitar per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)

We need at least 4 photos:

full guitar shot from the front;
close up of the body finish;
shot of the back of the guitar; and
close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to adam (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible.

Competition for December closes 30 November 2015.

Winner will be judged by the Pit Bull Guitars Judging Panel, including the winner of the November GOTM.

Arzi
03-11-2015, 03:25 PM
Hi

Might as well throw this in here...

The name of the bass is "Medic Man" named after my job :)

The kit is PBG MMB-4 with following specs:

Neck and headstock:
- custom order for the maple fretboard
- golden ferrules for the stock tuners
- golden screws for the tuners
- binding on the headstock done by routing the channel freehand with a dremel and made a paste by melting pearl white binding in acetone - applying it in the channel and sanding it.
- bone nut filed to liking
- trussrod cover from scratchplate sheet, shaped with Dremel, ekg-decor done by engraving with a dremel until the middle layer of three-ply plate came visible. Golden screws.
- headstock finish done with Tru Oil and polished with car products ( poilishing compound and wax)

Body:
- color on the body done by mixing Bolger´s basic red water based stain and hint of Keda Dye "cole black". Same on the top of headstock. 3 coats total with slight sanding between coats.
- Binding done by freehanding the channel with Dremel (can´t recommend to anyone...) to hight of 9mm. Then putting a 6mm pearl white binding in by heating it in form first with a hair dryer, glued and rounding the top edges so that it gives a "fat" look on the top. Few visible minor cracks between binding and the wood filled with a paste done by melting bits of binding to acetone and then sanded smooth.
- color on the back and sides done with water based stain "victorian walnut" by a dealer in ebay UK - can´t find the label anymore. 3 coats total.
- Pearl white scratchplate
- Golden screws
- Stock bridge with golden saddles
- finish done with Tru Oil and polished with car products (polishing compound and wax)

Electronics:
- Artec SE-2A 2-band EQ preamp with concentric bass/treble pot and blend+volume controls
- added another humbucker (chinese). Stock humbucker was hotter than the one I ordered so ordered another one to match. These are both 6,34 Ohms per coil - totalling to some over 12 Ohms Humbucking. Cost about 13 AUS$ each :)
- added a on/on/on miniswitch for both humbuckers splitting the coils front/parallel/rear. Might try some other configuration later on but these are quite versatile at the moment.
- stereo jack for the "wake up" current whent plugging in
- had to make the stock cavity about 1mm wider in the jack end to fit the electronics
- pickup cavities and electronics cavity shielded with conducting aluminium tape

Intonates great. The G-string saddle is at the far most location at the moment but I have longer screws if necessary - still spot on at this point. Leveled the frets using a G&W notched fret ruler and self made leveling beam with sanding paper, crowned with a fret file and polished with wet sanding paper + polishing rubber.

String hight is at 2,5mm at the 12:th fret with the E-string and lower with the others.

Put on D´Addario´s 50-105 half rounds which are pretty nice to play after round wounds on my other basses and still give some more clarity than basic flats.

Here are some pics for you:

Continues...

Arzi
03-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Some more from the back:

wokkaboy
03-11-2015, 03:29 PM
beautiful build Arzi, well done you had some issues to sort out along the way and got them sorted. The colours you chose and upgrades really set this build apart

andrewdosborne
03-11-2015, 04:19 PM
I love everything about this bass, awesome work!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

vh2580
03-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Arzi Stunning bass, love the features you've added to this.

adam
03-11-2015, 04:58 PM
This entry from Janet, who was having issues uploading pics. Janet, if you see this, your images were way too big. You need to get them down to under 1000px on the longest edge.

Here's what Janet says about this build:

"Hi everyone
Have finished my RC-1 (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-rc-1-electric-guitar-kit/) and my homage to John Lennon.
I finished my Pitbull RC-1 in Black Burst with custom made Truss Rod Cover.
Replaced the nut for a lower action and replaced the switch with a Gibson switch and it plays really well.
Did the set-up and sounds great with a Capo now. It has a lot of scope in the sound.
A special mention to my hubby Glenn who taught me to solder... was a lot of fun...

I think I'll be doing another guitar at some stage...:)
Ciao Janet"

wokkaboy
03-11-2015, 05:15 PM
well done Janet this is a cool looking RC-1, I'm sure Lennon would have been more than happy to play it
@ Ads you finally updated your avatar !

Arzi
03-11-2015, 05:53 PM
Beautiful job Janet! Classy looking RC-1. :)

jarrod
03-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Wow that RC 1 is dynamite.

Fretworn
04-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Two great axes already this month.

jp
09-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Thank you - much appreciated

jp
09-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Thank you for the lovely comment

jp
09-11-2015, 08:50 AM
Thank you for the support, took some time but finally made it...

nDR01d
09-11-2015, 11:00 AM
OK here I go again - 2 from 2. This months entry I call "The Boss". It's my tribute to Bruce Springsteens' guitar (see Born to Run). It has Mick Brierly flat wound late 50's pick ups and MUTSL or Man Under The Street Light. The version I used was the original, before Bruce upgraded his pickguard. His btw, is all black leather and carved and painted. I don't have that kind of $$ so I used a 1:1 scale sticker of it :) It has the usual swan headstock, so let see how divisive it is this month ;) I honestly don't mind the 'love it' or 'hate it' thing. That tells me I'm doing something new and unique. And that's what I want to do. Otherwise I'd buy a factory made one. And it supposed to look a little bit used. see close up pic, top half.

nDR01d
09-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Here is a colourised version of the guitar on the album "Born to Run" that I wanted to create a tribute of. 6427

wokkaboy
09-11-2015, 11:12 AM
nice tele Ndroid and a cool tribute to the boss. The swan headstock is original looks cool.

What colour stain have you used ?

nDR01d
09-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Thanks Wokka. What I did was spray 3 light mists of lacquer over the raw top, then sand with 0000 steel wire. Then I used a dilution of Butterscotch and Metho. I just went with a light colour dilution and kept on rubbing it on till it looked right. Then I applied just over 12 coats of lacquer. Sanded down, but not buffed or polished. That way it went with a matt look, adding to the slightly used appeal of it.

andrewdosborne
09-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Janet & nDro1d - 2x awesome entries. Like your work.

infxualbydesign
16-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Here is my YB-4 kit.

I used Japan black and Walnut stains in different layers and sanded them back to get the "rustic" burst. Top coat is clear enamel ( takes ages to cure if you spray too think.) All hardware is stock. Some mods i have done are subtle belly/forearm sculpting. i ditched the neck backplate and used recessed chrome ferrules, Looking back I wish i had sculpted the heel and actually redrilled the neck bolts. live an learn. As fares the neck goes i have stained it, i wanted a blackwood type colour. I'm happy with the stain. I shortened the headstock and printed up a waterslide decal with my dodgy logo. I fully shielded the body cavities with copper tape.

Im really quite surprised by the action and playability. i haven't even adjusted the truss rod, or levelled the frets or anything but it actually plays pretty well. yes it could play better but I'm just giving the thing a while to really settle. previous kits i have used had "dried out" after a couple months and changed quite a bit.

wokkaboy
16-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Hi Infxual,
nice build love the darker stain really suits well. Is there a gap between the control cavity and the cover ?

nDR01d
16-11-2015, 05:49 PM
You nailed the 'rustic burst'. Just like a antique french oak wood chest slab made into a bass. Nice work.

andrewdosborne
16-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Nice bass Infxual and a lovely warmth to the finish.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

infxualbydesign
18-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Hi Infxual,
nice build love the darker stain really suits well. Is there a gap between the control cavity and the cover ?

Thanks for feedback! That's not a gap, its a little groove so you can get your fingernail under the backplate. its such tight fit. i just wanted to add a little quirky feature to it too.

infxualbydesign
18-11-2015, 06:36 PM
You nailed the 'rustic burst'. Just like a antique french oak wood chest slab made into a bass. Nice work.

I love Hutchinson Concept guitars ( look em up if you haven't heard of them. They can make guitars that look like they have been made from the deck of an ancient viking ship! that was the inspiration for the stain, that and i love making boring pale wood look cool,

keloooe
18-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Wicked burst there Infxual! Nailed that rustic look!

Andy40
22-11-2015, 04:43 PM
I am going to throw the hat into the December ring. Here goes:

Pitbull Guitars ST-1 Kit
Tonerider Pure Vintage Pickups
Pearloid Pickguard
Parchment volume, tone knobs and switch
Vintage Style Tuners
Bourns 250k Mini Pots
CLR 5 way switch
Vintage style cloth wiring
Lake Placid Blue Nitrocellulouse finish body
Clear '60's tint Nitrocellulouse finish neck
DB "F" Style Bone Nut
Switchcraft jack
the rest is Pitbull guitar standard

Gavin1393
22-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Some awesome guitars already! Rottness anyone?

Brendan
22-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Gav - Rotto has reception. I was thinking Kazakhstan.

jarrod
22-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Count me in Brendan,

Jbird
22-11-2015, 11:32 PM
Andy that came put very nice man!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Andy40
23-11-2015, 03:34 AM
Thanks, those photos are a bit small and dark, I'll try to upload a bigger and lighter ones now so you can see the detail.

Brendan
07-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Drumroll - and the scores are in!

In order of submissions:

Arzi's MMB-4
"Stunning bass - nice choice of mods and an overall great look."

"Love how you customised this build Arzi and the colour really compliments the binding. Another great build!"

"Excellent colour selection and faultless finish, the binding is just the icing on the cake. The MMB-4 is such an iconic shape and this build does it justice. I don’t know ANYBODY who wouldn’t want this in their GAS collection."

"The only negative I can see is that its a little jagged/untidiness on the boundary line between the front face finish, the purl band and the back face finish. However, I can only imagine how hard that would have been to get it perfect.
You have to respect the builder for the degree of difficulty attempted here. The finish and the custom parts etc. Braver man than I (extra points for D of D)"

Janet's RC-1
"Nice colour choice, I think there are viewable sanding marks on the face around the bridge. it looks like she did not sand it down to a fine enough grade or sand long enough. The clear coat also looks a bit dry and did not flow Like ARZI's."

"Well built guitar and nice homage to Lennon. The truss rod cover is a nice touch you must be proud of this build well done Janet".

"Another faultless finish, but I’m just not convinced with the colour selection. Very picky, I know, but the RC-1 is such a busy guitar; there’s a lot going on with the top of the body. I think a single colour burst finish just makes it too busy. That said, this is an exceptional build and, apart from the subjective finish comments, I can’t fault it. "

"Great looking RC-1. Nice choice of colours and application."

nDR01d's TL-1
"Well, what a worthy guitar to tribute… the Boss’s Tele. I love the body and the neck and… well, you said it would be divisive… not so much that headstock. It’s an interesting design, but I think it’s just too big and bulky for the small Tele body. You’ve made something original that means a lot to you, and done a very good job with the build by the way, but personally, I wouldn’t be rushing to take it home."

"Another cool tribute axe to the boss and an original headstock shape. Missing a logo to say you built it NDRo1d. Well put together build though."

"I can not get excited about this model. Its not the builder's fault but the head looks out of preparation (Bruce's guitar head looks nicer). I also cant see the detail in the finish as the images are not very good so I remain neutral."

"Nice Tele! Great attention to detail with the sticker - gives it a real personal touch. I can see the swan resemblance in the headstock - not my cup of tea - then again - not my Tele either and it's great that you've done something different. Those pickups must make it sing!"

infxualbydesign's YB-4
"Sweet looking bass dude! Nicely done. Really stunning. Love the aged timber look of it and I think the logo is a nice touch - really complements the guitar. It all comes together nicely for me."

"Dig the colour selection and the application of the finish, but I had to look hard for some extra points or some points to take off. I thought the headstock was a little rough and distracted from the great body finish. Otherwise a solid build and this would be a great gigging bass. Nice work!"

"Great looking guitar. The stain work, The Great colour and finish. This is the type of guitar that would catch my eye walking into a store.
The detail on the back of the neck is not as good as the body. it looks a bit patchy in quite a few places. I know this neck (looks like the same item as the IB5) and its tricky in that it can look quite smooth and trick you into thinking that you don't need to sand it as much as the body but in fact its just as rough and I had to spend more time on it than the body in the end."

"Love the dark rustic look to this build and I like how your headstock logo fits between the A and D strings. Nicely put together YB-4."

Andy40's ST-1
"Nice upgrades to this build Andy, and the finish looks good. Love the dark blue and pearloid guard is a cool combo and the headstock logo looks great."

"That blue with the pearloid pickguard goes great together. Really nicely done."

"Nothing really stands out. Body needed more sanding (I think) colour is pretty standard. Application of paint a bit Orange peel especially on the back face."

"At first glance, just another blue Strat, but, upon closer inspection, the choice of blue, the quality of finish, the addition of a white pearloid guard and some of the other fine details; like the Howlin’ Wolf headstock, really make this one jump out at you. Excellent build!"

-
A hard month to judge - some very good entries here, but as with Highlanders - "There can be only one" - winner that is and this month congratulations go to:

Arzi's MMB-4
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6335&d=1446539125
Congratulations Arzi - you obvoiusly poured a lot of love into this bass and it really shows.
Thanks to all the judges, especially those who stepped in at the last minute to give some more scores and comments.

BTW - be sure to get your entries in for next month's GOTM - great way to start off the new year!

vh2580
07-12-2015, 07:55 PM
Congrats Arzi, fantastic build and a deserving winner. Also kudos to the other entrants there are some nice axes in the mix

wokkaboy
07-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Congratulations Arzi. Well deserved win. All the other entries were of a high standard.

Arzi
07-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Wow...

Thanks guys - I would have never thought that my build would achieve this recognition...As I've seen the level of work posted here...

Speechless at the moment... Thanks... :)

Andy40
08-12-2015, 03:36 AM
Congratulations Arzi. I almost considered not going in the comp after ur entry...I'm not a bass man but that is one cool bass. Well done.

I'm glad I did enter, I got some really good pointers from the guys!

Swanny
08-12-2015, 05:48 AM
Well done to all, and congratulations, Arzi!

andrewdosborne
08-12-2015, 06:45 AM
Congrats Arzi and well done to all other entrants.

nDR01d
08-12-2015, 08:27 AM
Well done Arzi. There was some good competition this month (present company excluded - of course ;) ). Congrats.

Fretworn
08-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Congrats Arzi!

keloooe
08-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Congrats Arzi on the win! The new year will definitely present some awesome builds!

dingobass
08-12-2015, 11:16 AM
I will PM you my address later, that Bass is far to nice not be in my collection :p

Well done, its a real stunner.

keloooe
08-12-2015, 11:40 AM
No DB, it is mine!

wokkaboy
08-12-2015, 11:44 AM
nah Pest no point sending it to you as Australia Post will have it in their bass collection !

keloooe
08-12-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm using a courier service Wokka

wokkaboy
08-12-2015, 11:55 AM
well you got to get it from Finland to start with bro !

WeirdBits
08-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Well done Arzi, a fantastic looking bass, congrats.

dingobass
08-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Pest, you just aint cool enough for that Bass anyway :p

wokkaboy
08-12-2015, 01:16 PM

bwhahahahahahaha that should fire up the young fella !

stan
08-12-2015, 03:49 PM
some very nice work by all, but Arzi, that bass is a standout, looks awesome, love the edge binding, great job

Arzi
08-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys

Can't wait to get my hands on the next one. Just have to gather some tools first...

After one more bass I'm gonna hit the six string category with friends of mine if they decide to take on the challenge and order a PBG kit.

For my next own build after the bass it's gonna be a 3 string cigar box guitar... That'll be fun.... :)

wazkelly
08-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Well done Arzi and all other entrants for their fine efforts too. The standard bar is only getting higher each month based on the quality of recent entries.

keloooe
09-12-2015, 05:01 AM

So having multiple (not giving numbers yet :P ) women after me from being in the band on bass..... Sorry who's not cool now?

pablopepper
09-12-2015, 05:24 AM
Now we all know you're making stuff up, Pesty.
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/bass-player-graph.jpg

wokkaboy
09-12-2015, 07:21 AM
haha good one Pabs !

dingobass
09-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Shaboom tish!

Love ya work, Pabs :)

keloooe
09-12-2015, 12:39 PM
@DB and Pabs... Remember you guys are bassists too sooooo yeah. Plus I could just join another band as axe player :D

But I must admit that Pabs has beaten me here....

Arzi
09-12-2015, 12:43 PM
I would politely disagree on pabs's presentation leaning towrds my own experience....

Although I was a singer and a keyboardist and now that I'm married - it's all the same to be a bassist.... ;)

wazkelly
09-12-2015, 05:02 PM
I used to hang out with the Roadies after gigs in order to hook up with chicks as none wanted to know me as the Bass player other than to get an intro to the Drummer. Had more fun as the Roadies were not as pretentious and plenty more chicks like chasing after the bad boy types.

keloooe
09-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Well there is a meet and greet thing at my next gig so I will tally up how many chicks come to me during it... Current record from the last gig is 3.

pablopepper
10-12-2015, 04:46 AM
http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/455305.jpg

andrewdosborne
10-12-2015, 04:51 AM
Too funny! Pest, we'll have to rename you 'The Magnet!'

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

keloooe
10-12-2015, 08:05 AM
Ponch that already is my nickname ;)

andrewdosborne
10-12-2015, 08:23 AM
Ha, nice one! Be careful though, all that magnetism will interfere with your bass pickups!

Fretworn
10-12-2015, 09:28 AM
In two years time, Pest attains his ultimate goal as a bass playing ladies man!

http://www.londarmarks.com/images/08.jpg

wokkaboy
10-12-2015, 09:37 AM
HAHA nice one Fretty, no haircut for 2 years and he will look like that

keloooe
10-12-2015, 10:13 AM
In two years time, Pest attains his ultimate goal as a bass playing ladies man!

http://www.londarmarks.com/images/08.jpg

weeks* I'm sorry Fretty but your perception of time is very wrong...

wazkelly
10-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Ahhh, don't you just love the 80's big hair era. Oh, sorry Pest, you probably weren't even born when this photo was taken. Maybe you could bring this look back into fashion perhaps?

keloooe
10-12-2015, 07:01 PM
is this close enough? Old pic by the way, hair isnt as short anymore and I'm not a twig anymore either :D

wazkelly
10-12-2015, 07:22 PM
That's a pretty good effort but being the chick magnet that you said you are why can't we see any in this shot?

keloooe
10-12-2015, 07:26 PM
This was last year before the band hahaha

wazkelly
10-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Still waiting for the evidence.

wokkaboy
11-12-2015, 08:19 AM
haha Waz is a harsh but fair man !

wazkelly
11-12-2015, 05:49 PM
haha Waz is a harsh but fair man !

Just playing with him Woks. I know it might have been sometime last century that I was his age and also had a similar level of self confidence. Oh to be a teenager again with all the knowledge acquired since you could wreak havoc and really maximise each and every opportunity that comes your way without a care in the world. Enjoy your youth Pest as it is some of the best years of your life and time flies so fast.

keloooe
11-12-2015, 07:24 PM
Still waiting for the evidence.

Evidence will come don't you worry!!

Enjoy your youth Pest as it is some of the best years of your life and time flies so fast.

It's why I've joined the band so young and why I try to get out and about as much as possible, especially to gigs and stuff like that :D

wazkelly
12-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Good on you mate. Can't wait to see the photos.

dingobass
12-12-2015, 08:54 PM

Get your hand off it, Pest......

jarrod
13-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Geeze Pest, thats why I'm on my 3rd marriage at 45. It gets costly too.

keloooe
13-12-2015, 06:07 PM
That's a pretty good effort but being the chick magnet that you said you are why can't we see any in this shot?

I was with my dad.... That's why :P

Get your hand off it, Pest......

NEVER!

Geeze Pest, thats why I'm on my 3rd marriage at 45. It gets costly too.

Then you are undeserving of the title Jrod!

wazkelly
13-12-2015, 06:18 PM
This evidence better be worth the wait as I suspect we might be waiting quite some time for it to show up, if at all?

keloooe
13-12-2015, 06:31 PM
Got a gig on Saturday ill see how many photos I can grab off people haha