PDA

View Full Version : Handmade guitars

dave.king1
31-10-2015, 09:16 AM
On the back of the Doc's thread and the bemoaning of what F & G are doing these days I thought I post some pics of my Shergold Masquarader, handmade in London in this case in 1976

Jack Golding and Norm Houlder were craftsmen of the highest order and were were associated with Hayman, Baldwin & Burns guitars of the same period, the Shergold logo shows a woodworker using traditional tools to form a guitar body.

The pickups are split coil humbuckers that can be set as HB, SC or out of phase at the flick of a switch so the tonal palate is very broad, the Re-An pickups could be thought of as being a bit on the weak side but that also reflects the time they were made and also the sounds of the time.

They are also renowned for cracking in the nitro finish.

Safe to say they don't make many like this anymore and definitely not for the price ~$360.00 in 1976 and probably around a grand today if you can find one on fleabay.

( sad to say I swapped a 59 Tele for this when it was hanging on the shop wall )

Scott Grubersaberhagen one of the members on the Shergold forum has built some stunning replicas, here is his build of the Genesis 4/6 twin neck replica http://www.grubersaberhagen.co.uk/Grubersaberhagen/Genesis_Build/Entries/2009/6/27_Genesis_Build_Part_1.html

stan
31-10-2015, 09:40 AM
that is a great looking older guitar Dave, some real vintage goodness there

DrNomis_44
03-11-2015, 05:47 AM
Cool looking vintage guitars there, looks reminiscent of the Peavey T-60, body shape is similar.

dave.king1
10-11-2015, 07:49 AM
Here's a bit of a build thread on another of Scott's builds, this one a 5 string bass built in the Shergold style
http://www.shergold.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2358

wokkaboy
10-11-2015, 08:20 AM
cool vintage axe DK, I missed that thread. Real old school shape and looks like it's been played heaps

dave.king1
10-11-2015, 09:40 AM
It's certainly seen some music, played everything from boots & saddles country to Grand Funk Railroad