PDA

View Full Version : Does Dingo Tone Top Coat contain any colour from base stain kit?

wazkelly
22-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Hi DB and all other GAS megagods. You may recall I was the one who experimented mixing up various brews of Outback Sunset & Coolangatta Gold with end result shown below being 1 part OS to 3 parts CG. I have done the same mix with intensifier coats and wondered whether top coats contain any tint as the OS one looks ever so slightly darker than the CG one? Just wondering does any of the top coats have a smidge of base coat in them just in case I have any left over and want use on another kit without stuffing things up? Looking forward to your advice, Waz.:cool:

wokkaboy
22-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Hey Waz from experience the top coat will darken the colour a little but there shouldn't be any colour or tint the top coats.
DB will confirm when he reads it

wazkelly
22-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Thanks Wokka, expect top coat should be same across all stain kits however the OS one is just a bit darker. Will take a photo and post shortly.

wokkaboy
22-10-2015, 07:58 PM
no worries Waz, I notice the top coat colour varies a bit so it may be a slightly different batch (older or newer) maybe why the colour varies a bit. I'd use the lighter colour top coat to be safer

wazkelly
22-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Here are the photos. OS is the on the left and looked a little cloudy when just picked up. Gave both a shake to mix em up a bit and OS still looks darker. It came with the kit in August and CG arrived separately in September. Another question, does colour vary between batches as I have just received another unopened box of CG for my next build?

dingobass
22-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Hey Waz,

There will be some variations due to different batch of oils I get, however they will dry clear and shouldnt affect the colour too much.
You can always mix the two finish coats together to get a consistant finish.

wazkelly
22-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks DB, might as well stick with the 3:1 brew that I have been mixing up all along. Just need to go and buy some more syringes from nearby Chemist Warehouse. They looked at me like a well dressed 50 something smack addict when I bought the first lot about a month ago and might need to use a disguise to prevent a bogus tipoff to the narks.

dingobass
22-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Hahahahaha!