PDA

View Full Version : Staining and grain filling - order

FredA
21-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Hi guys,

I'm starting my first build (build diary 'Fred's 1st Build - STA1M' - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4412), and I'm looking at a stained blue-black finish.

I've read on this forum that some people started by grain filling and then staining, while others recommend staining first, then sealing, and then grain filling.
The rational is that the stain being liquid softens the timbermate while it is applied and it gets partly removed from the grain.

Have any of you guys tested that second approach (stain, then grain fill)?
If so what product did you use to seal the stain before grain filling?
And did you have any issue where the stain could be sanded off when sanding the grain filler?

Thanks!
Fred

dingobass
21-10-2015, 11:55 AM
I usually grain fill first with Timbermate, let it dry for a day then sand to 220 before staining.
Then let the stain dry over night before sanding again with 320.
Then I hit it with the sealer, again leaving it for a day before scuff sanding and applying the top coats.

With top coats (acrylic, poly, nitro, paint, naughty oil etc) it is important to apply thin coats and give them ample time to dry between each application.
Typically, I leave each coat to dry for a minimum of 48 hours.
Then when I am finished I leave it for at least 21 days becore final cut and polish as it takes at least this long for the finish to completely cure and harden.

It is well worth taking your time with the finish.
IMHO the finish is the second most important part of the build. Why have a perfectly put together axe and then rush the finish? :)

FredA
22-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Thanks DB.
I'll try and be patient between each! :)