PDA

View Full Version : Semi Acoustic version of the RC-4?

Worzel
14-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Hi everyone!
I wondered if this was a reasonable idea which I should share with you. The RC-4 is a copy of a very famous make of American bass guitar which if mentioned cause all sorts of problems! So I won't! The semi acoustic bass I'm thinking of was made by the same company and was made in a similar to the way the RC-4 is made. the 05 (last two numbers of the actual model number) was last made in the late eighties and is now very rare in the second hand market some examples selling for great amounts of money. As far as I know, no one has copied the semi (05) and I think there could be a lot of interest judging by the amount of people that try to build an 05 from scratch. Thoughts?

If anyone doesn't recognize the bass I'm talking about take the first two numbers of the Bass guitar the RC-4 is a copy of then add the 05 Making four digits then google! it'll come up!

wazkelly
14-10-2015, 09:19 PM
I think you might be on to something here judging by the number of other semi acoustic bass guitars being built. It would have to be stereo as when I had a 4001 last century it sounded best played in stereo through 2 DI's to front of house PA and then into 2 channels of an old Marshall 100w valve head amp. These days 2 smaller combo amps would be more practical given the noise police issues nowadays. After owning the real deal once before I would need to buy their pickups and electronics as it is not just the look but the way they play and sound that sets them apart from anything else.

Arzi
14-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Hi Worzel and everyone

Are you talking about something like this maybe

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_rb_414cs.htm?o=152&ref=mrl_a_32&search=1444832348:

As it would be alot like what you described. Made in China factory so would be a ready set to assemble. Few modifications if wanted and you'd have it.

Arzi

Worzel
14-10-2015, 11:34 PM
I think the details of what is possible and what is necessary to actually call it a "copy" is quite difficult. If the original bridge is out of the question (as I believe it would be) do you replace it with something which works that you would have a plentiful supply of? Both of the pickups could be replaced with the type of pickup which is at the moment in the neck position of the RC-4. Whether or not the pickups could be positioned correctly is a matter for debate, and whether the sound made was "close enough." Personally my favourite would be a copy of an eighties "double bound" but that's only my opinion! I also have owned the original of the RC-4, I'm trying to find a good Marshall & 4x12 to complete my backline. In my opinion stereo is the way to go as I have built many (stereo) Precisions!

Worzel
14-10-2015, 11:42 PM
Hi Arzi,
Try this!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-shipping-USED-Rickenbacker-4005-FG-/161754563611?nma=true&si=gIyAIkxH%252Bk9krfHCGFvbCdxBNs4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I've not seen this Harley Benton before, but what I'm talking about is a very different beast!

Arzi
15-10-2015, 12:42 AM
Hi

Ok now I see - nice one! Shape is something else. Just got hung up on the semi-hollow part and remembered seeing the HB. This would really stand out if made to a kit.

Worzel
15-10-2015, 02:47 AM
Wow! Now I have looked at the Harley Benton I think that's a great idea! You sure know how to throw a curveball into the works!

dingobass
15-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... Another Ricky thrown into the mix....

Might be worth your while to email Adam and discuss this with him.
If we get enough interest to make it a viable addition (provided the factory can make it) I am sure Adam would consider it.

wazkelly
15-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Hi Worzel and everyone

Are you talking about something like this maybe

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_rb_414cs.htm?o=152&ref=mrl_a_32&search=1444832348:

As it would be alot like what you described. Made in China factory so would be a ready set to assemble. Few modifications if wanted and you'd have it.

Arzi

Hmmm, close but no cigar. That bridge pickup surround looks so wrong and the neck has dot markers instead of triangular inlays. Would rather buy the real thing than make poor replica copy.

Google R........... 4005 to see the real deal which looks nothing like the HB chinese kit.

Arzi
15-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Hi

Of course these are poor copies as good copies would end up in a lawsuit. Just ment to throw that out there to show that the idea of a semi-hollow nameless "inspired by" thing has been thought of and done one way. So if some template would exist already - this could be transformed to a PBG version with modifications that are wanted and/or relatively easy or affordable to do. The one sold by the T-shop is in production and since it's the biggest musical instrument and accessory online shop in Europe - the number of produced instruments needs to be somewhat adequate to fill an unknown demand at launch. A lot of the HB recent models use for example Wilkinson pickups and tuners so all the parts are not of the cheapest quality.

Just wanted to throw this thought back in the game.

wazkelly
15-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Hi Arzi, good to see the use of quality components in those kits. Fully understand the lawsuit stuff as I once owned an Ibanez guitar that was caught up in all that stuff in the 1970's.

Worzel
16-10-2015, 03:05 AM
What I liked about Arzi's H B was not the actual bass, but the idea that a 4001/3 could be "chambered and an "F" hole installed. I would be prepared to ask if this idea could be made in the factory on special order.
The other thing which needs to be mentioned was the fact that the H B has taken a fender "F" hole and stuck it on a 4001/3! Not the best mix!