PDA

View Full Version : Changing the binding

Crusader
14-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Hello again people,
Is it hard to change the binding on an LP-1 ?

How to get the original off,
What glue to use to attach the new one,
Pull it off before or after painting,
Put the new one on before or after painting,

Is it hard to change it on the fret board as well?

And would it look weird on the headstock?

Oh, and thanks for all the advice, it's great for a newbie like me.

Cheers,
Neil

wokkaboy
14-10-2015, 04:17 PM
hey Neil, I've never removed existing binding but I'd guess you use a heat gun should soften the plastic/glue or steam from an iron.
I'd definitely put the new binding on before putting paint on as you will probably have to sand it to get it flush with the top and sides of the body.
Fret board I presume would be a similar procedure.
DB or Gavmeister has probably done this before so can probably give you more information.
Good luck.
Whats the plan different colour or pattern binding ?

I've used Tarzan grip glue and get some good quality tape to hold the binding in place when the glue dries

Crusader
14-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Different colour, to match other fittings and maybe some inlay.

wokkaboy
14-10-2015, 04:30 PM
sounds good Neil, the main thing is don't put too much heat to the binding or it may melt and be a pain to clean up.

Gavin1393
14-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Hello again people,
Is it hard to change the binding on an LP-1 ?

Not if you have the proper equipment, namely a router and appropriate sized straight edge router bit and bearings. Otherwise you are going to have to try heating the glue to get it off as Wokka has suggested.

How to get the original off, As above!

What glue to use to attach the new one, Tarzan Grip is best. Plus you need some adhesive tape. You need to 'stretch' the tape across the newly positioned binding as you work. This keeps it in place. Let it dry for three days before removing the tape. You MUST pull the edge of the tape 'back on itself' so that you dont rip the fibres of the body...

Pull it off before or after painting, ABSOLUTELY has to be done BEFORE.....

Put the new one on before or after painting, ....must be before....

Is it hard to change it on the fret board as well? Not if you have the right tools, if not, be patient, dont rush, may be a bit more clean up to do on the guitar.

And would it look weird on the headstock?
Not if you do it properly!

Crusader
14-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Excellent, thanks for the advice. I think I may try it.

dingobass
14-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Personally, I always rout the old stuff off as this also removes the layer of glue as well.
I have found with using a heat gun you can end up with an uneven channel due to old goop being left behind.
Heat also changes the glue and can make it resistant to the glue used with the new binding.
(Having said that, I don't know if this holds true with Tarzans grip cause I don't use it)

If you do use a heat gun, it might pay to sand the channel to remove the residue. Just take care and use self adhesive paper on a square block so you maintain the 90 degree.

The ther only other comment I have is to use a high tack paper tape, such as the binding tape sold by Stewmac and a few other Luthiers supply shops.
I have found this to be the most effective because it is strong and wont continue to stretch, which can leave gaps between the binding and body.

If you do get gaps (happens to us all at some stage), melt some binding in acetone (assuming you use ABS plastic binding) and use the melted goop as a bog to fill these gaps.
When done, you simply scrape the whole thing flat.

Crusader
14-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.
I'll try some test pieces.
Yes I will use abs.

dingobass
14-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Kewl.
With the Gavmiesters advice and the few useful tips I threw into the mix you cant go wrong :)

Jbird
22-11-2015, 02:03 PM
So I work for Gibson guitars in the acoustic factory and for the first part of my shift I do the slotting for binding... when we have rebinds we use the straight edge and bearings like Gav said to cut off the old binding. As he said it strips the old glue but also helps straighten the edge to allow for an easier time with actual binding... the more tape when binding then less chance for gaps as long as you get it really snug against the body... with the tape if you squirt a bit of acetone and quickly wipe it off the top the tape pulls up pretty quick and easy... the binding will be higher than the body and it does burn pretty easily when sanding it down... scrape it down even before sanding... stewmac sells binding scrapers!!! Very handy!!! If you do end up with some gaps super glue and sand it... I'll try to take some video of the process for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
22-11-2015, 02:23 PM
very interesting Jbird that must be cool fun working there. What's the rarest Gibbo you have seen/played ?

EDIT I would love to see a video from the factory as well !

stan
22-11-2015, 02:27 PM
So I work for Gibson guitars in the acoustic factory and for the first part of my shift I do the slotting for binding... when we have rebinds we use the straight edge and bearings like Gav said to cut off the old binding. As he said it strips the old glue but also helps straighten the edge to allow for an easier time with actual binding... the more tape when binding then less chance for gaps as long as you get it really snug against the body... with the tape if you squirt a bit of acetone and quickly wipe it off the top the tape pulls up pretty quick and easy... the binding will be higher than the body and it does burn pretty easily when sanding it down... scrape it down even before sanding... stewmac sells binding scrapers!!! Very handy!!! If you do end up with some gaps super glue and sand it... I'll try to take some video of the process for you

great to know and a vid would be awesome

Jbird
22-11-2015, 02:30 PM
The rarest... hmm probably the monarch... also the most expensive!!! $25000 us

Crusader
22-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Hi Jbird, I think we would all love to see a vid of it.
And cheers for the advice.