PDA

View Full Version : Gavmeister's AMPS (TJS moved)

Gavin1393
12-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Looking really great!! I am VERY interested in your amp collection! a list pretty please!!

This is the poor amp that lives with the dust in the man-cave and with which I test all the guitars as I finish them.
Its a Line 6 Spider III 120 watt stereo amp.

12 Custom Amp Models from Clean to Insane
7 Smart Control FX (up to 3 simultaneous) including Tape Echo, Sweep Echo, Standard Delay (all with Tap Tempo) Chorus/Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, and Reverb
250 artist-created presets
150 song-based presets
Plus 36 user programmable presets
Built-in front panel tuner
2 - 10" Custom Celestion® Speakers

Gavin1393
12-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Next up - my goto acoustic amp. Roland AC-60

Compact stereo acoustic amplifier with pure, natural tone and excellent projection
2-channel design: Guitar input plus mic/line input with phantom power
Stereo 30W/dual 6-1/2" speakers loud enough for club gigs and small PAs
Onboard DSP delivers lush stereo/multiband chorus, newly developed wide chorus and delay/reverb with footswitch control
Built-in Auto Anti-Feedback controls allow for maximum volume without feedback
Convenient mute switch for silent tuning on stage
Stereo line out for PA and recording

Brendan
12-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Is that a truss rod cover I see there Gav?

You feeling alright buddy? :p
That was the one from the Tele in last month's GOTM that he forgot to put on...

Gavin1393
12-10-2015, 09:07 PM
That was the one from the Tele in last month's GOTM that he forgot to put on...Do I really have to explain this to you bass players who keep on insisting that my last months entry was missing a Truss Rod cover.I'll write really slowly for you...... a TELECASTER does not have a truss rod cover, I think you might be confusing a Truss Rod (which it does have) with a Truss Rod Cover.....there is a difference! See if you can spot it? :p

Gavin1393
12-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Probably my favourite amp. A Peavey 'Delta Blue' Tube Amp.

[*=left]2-channel tube combo amplifier with 1 x 15" Celestion speaker
[*=left]30 watts is an ideal power rating for small- to medium-sized gigs
[*=left]Footswitchable channels and tremolo (footswitches sold separately)
[*=left]3 x 12AX7 preamp tubes and 4 x EL84 power tubes let you cover a lot of tonal range
[*=left]Perfect for rock, blues, and country
[*=left]Additional output for extension speaker cabinet

Gavin1393
12-10-2015, 10:32 PM
My first tube Amp (since starting again) is the Fender Blue Junior III

All tube preamp and 15-watt power section
3 band EQ
FAT boost switch
12" Fender "Lightning Bolt" speaker by Eminence
Built-in spring reverb
Extension speaker jack

Output Power: 15 Watts
Speaker: 12 inch, 8 ohm 50 Watt Fender "Lightning Bolt" speaker by Eminence
Output Impedance: 8 Ohms
Preamp Tubes: 3 x 12AX7
Power Tubes: 2 x EL84
Rectifier: Solid State Rectifier
Inputs: One
Channels: One Channel
Controls: Reverb, Master, Middle, Bass, Treble, "Fat" Switch, Volume

Gavin1393
12-10-2015, 10:43 PM
The last Amp I will post here is my practice amp.

A Fender G-Dec 30.

[*=left]Amp Type: Solid State
[*=left]Inputs: 1/4" Guitar input, Second input, USB, Aux input for CD/MP3 player
[*=left]Footswitch input
[*=left]Output: 30 watts
[*=left]Line Out: Stereo outputs
[*=left]Speakers: 10" Fender Special Design with high-frequency tweeter
[*=left]Amazing onboard artist presets and loops that let you play along with the world's greatest musicians
[*=left]MP3 and Wav file storage & playback
[*=left]30-watt Guitar amp with 10" Special Design speaker and high-frequency tweeter
[*=left]100 factory and user presets with digital amp modeling & DSP effects
[*=left]SD card slot for unlimited storage of presets and audio content
[*=left]Onboard phrase sampler with overdub and export functions
[*=left]Onboard chromatic tuner
[*=left]Effects : Digital amp modeling & DSP effects

DrNomis_44
13-10-2015, 06:18 AM
@ Gavin1393 A good mate of mine is currently doing some servicing work on my Marshall amp, it's an MA100C 100 Watt 2 X 12 all valve combo amp which I bought a couple of years ago from Sounds Of Music, a musical instruments shop in the Casuarina Shopping centre here in Darwin, my MA100C amp was blowing fuses at random times, I did some fault-finding on it and traced the cause of the fuse-blowing to the power valves, I had a talk to my mate and he ended up doing a deal with me where he would replace all the power valves and output transformer with new ones, I can't wait to get the amp back because it sounded really good with my Les Paul Studio guitar when it was working properly.

This is what the amp looks like:5856

Gavin1393
13-10-2015, 01:04 PM
I can't wait to get the amp back because it sounded really good with my Les Paul Studio guitar when it was working properly.

This is what the amp looks like:5856
Always nice to get something back and have a fresh start...

I seem to subconsciously want to wave back when I see your avatar....

wokkaboy
13-10-2015, 01:06 PM
@ Gav at least Dr Nomis's avatar hasn't been hacked like others !

Gavin1393
13-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Woke up the neighbours the other night....
They are great amps...been thinking of upgrading mine to the Fender Mustang iii or Iv.

dingobass
13-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Pffffffffft.
Thats not an amp.

THIS is an amp.
Got me a complaint from a cranky old dude over 1k down the road from me... And I only had it turned up to three :p

wokkaboy
13-10-2015, 02:56 PM
DB you sound like Crocodile Dundee "that's not a knife, this is a knife" haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWl8EbNN8NM

pablopepper
13-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Ok thats a bit freaky, i used to set my Hartke head almost exactly the same. The only difference i can see is that my solid state preamp would sit at about 11 o'clock.

keloooe
13-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Pfft how about a pair of Marshall DBS 7400 heads? That is loud.....

wokkaboy
13-10-2015, 03:13 PM
look what you have started Ponch waking up your neighbors hahaah

and also great thread jack too fellas

dingobass
13-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Ok thats a bit freaky, i used to set my Hartke head almost exactly the same. The only difference i can see is that my solid state preamp would sit at about 11 o'clock.

Gotta love the H-monsters..
Still trying to convince the Minister for War and Finance that I need to upgrade to the kilo head and add another 410 cab.....

Oh, and Pesty, turn this puppy up over 4 and your eyeballs melt. 5 and you can destroy small cities. 6 causes earth tremors. 7 will bring down mountains. 8 causes continental drift. 9 and you run the risk of splitting the moon in half. 10 creates black holes.....

DrNomis_44
13-10-2015, 04:03 PM
@ dingobass Pretty cool bass amp there, heard lots of good things about Hartke amps, I have a Bass amp but it's only an old 80's Peavey TKO 80 (the one without the graphic EQ).

Bass amps need to be pretty substantial since the human ear isn't as sensitive to bass frequencies as it is to midrange frequencies, hence the reason why you see a lot of 500W and 1000W Bass amps.

Wouldn't mind owning a good Ampeg SVT rig though.

keloooe
13-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Hahahahaha dont worry DB on 3 on the Marshall I actually had some hearing damage.... 5 is black holes for the Marshall 7 is how we got the Big Bang... I'd hate to see it on 10...

And yes DB you NEED the kilo and another 410

wokkaboy
13-10-2015, 04:37 PM
might have to have a sound off each side of the country and see if someone on the nullabor can hear ?

keep the thread jack happening couldn't happen to a nicer guy haha

@ Gav was the last staining video done with your new gopro with a head mount ?

dingobass
13-10-2015, 04:38 PM
@ dingobass Pretty cool bass amp there, heard lots of good things about Hartke amps, I have a Bass amp but it's only an old 80's Peavey TKO 80 (the one without the graphic EQ).

Bass amps need to be pretty substantial since the human ear isn't as sensitive to bass frequencies as it is to midrange frequencies, hence the reason why you see a lot of 500W and 1000W Bass amps.

Wouldn't mind owning a good Ampeg SVT rig though.

My very first amp was a Peavey... Cant remember the model but from memory it was a 60? Watt.
Had a line out jack so I could plug it into the school PA...
Ahhhhhh, the 80's..... Good old days when we could make as much noise at lunch time without the mood police bringing the vibe down.....

Right on the money about the ear not hearing Bassy goodness, bigger amp output needed so you can feel the groove :)

keloooe
13-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Yeah I agree as well on the higher output and also on having loud amps at school, I still wish I could crank the school's 250W.....

DrNomis_44
13-10-2015, 05:11 PM
My very first amp was a Peavey... Cant remember the model but from memory it was a 60? Watt.
Had a line out jack so I could plug it into the school PA...
Ahhhhhh, the 80's..... Good old days when we could make as much noise at lunch time without the mood police bringing the vibe down.....

Right on the money about the ear not hearing Bassy goodness, bigger amp output needed so you can feel the groove :)

My TKO 80 amp has a preamp-out socket on the front panel but it's wired up so that when you plug a lead in it disconnects the pre-amp signal from the power amp, I had a look at the schematic and realized that it only needs a very minor mod so that you can feed the signal out to a DI Box and still have the sound coming through the amp's speaker, might do the mod when I get the amp back from uni.

The live music scene up here in Darwin is a bit dead due to the Council cracking down on loud live music.

I've also got a Peavey Backstage Plus that a friend gave me, the original speaker didn't work so I replaced it with a new Jensen C10Q which worked really well with the amp, the Backstage Plus is the loudest 35 Watt amp I'd ever heard, I even made a footswitch for it too.

andrewdosborne
13-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Awesome thread-jacking effort guys!

soundguy4033
13-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Probably my favourite amp. A Peavey 'Delta Blue' Tube Amp.

[*=left]2-channel tube combo amplifier with 1 x 15" Celestion speaker
[*=left]30 watts is an ideal power rating for small- to medium-sized gigs
[*=left]Footswitchable channels and tremolo (footswitches sold separately)
[*=left]3 x 12AX7 preamp tubes and 4 x EL84 power tubes let you cover a lot of tonal range
[*=left]Perfect for rock, blues, and country
[*=left]Additional output for extension speaker cabinet

Thats VERY sweet!! Im definitely old school if theres an AX or an EL Im happy, when I hear "emulation" I get bored (even though I own a VOX VT20)

But I did (at one stage) own a JCM 900, when I bailed from owning a recording studio I sold it, at one stage I also owned a 1976 Ducati 900 ss (and sold it!!) (WTF???) (hows THAT for thread jacking?)

DrNomis_44
14-10-2015, 12:48 AM
Okay, since the thread hijacking posts got moved to here, I thought you guys might like to hear what my Marshall MA100C amp sounded like when I played my 2013 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio guitar, when the amp was working properly, turns out I made an audio recording of it so I'm going to upload the audio recording to soundcloud so I can post a link here:

https://soundcloud.com/drnomis_44/ma100c-record

dingobass
14-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Yeah Dr N...
Whats with these stupid noise restrictions?

There was a memorable complaint from this cranky dude in Canberra who whined about the noise coming from the Canberra Uni music fest... Which was held during the day....

I lived closer to the Uni than he did, and the wind was blowing in my direction and I still didn't hear a thing!

Trouble is these mood police that insist on bringing the vibe down have either forgotten what it is to be young or they are jealous....

pablopepper
14-10-2015, 09:14 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/34/35/87/34358732bc0fbc6fa7f88822baf4e85d.jpg

wokkaboy
14-10-2015, 09:32 AM
haha that's it Pabs, a bit like people who buy a house near an airport and complain about the noise

pablopepper
14-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Dude, it happens in Brisbane all the time. People are idiots.

wokkaboy
14-10-2015, 09:47 AM
can't avoid oxygen thieves Pab's that's a given.
All Australian citizens should be made to watch the movie "The Castle" - that explains everything about living near airports

pablopepper
14-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Love that movie.

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-01/enhanced/webdr07/28/23/anigif_enhanced-2516-1390969533-12.gif

wokkaboy
14-10-2015, 10:00 AM
haha it's one of my fave movies too Pab's, some of the quotes you can re-use so many times. "How's the serenity"
"He wants $180 for jousting sticks tell him he's dreaming" "what are these love - Rissoles" hahaha

DrNomis_44
14-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Yeah Dr N...
Whats with these stupid noise restrictions?

There was a memorable complaint from this cranky dude in Canberra who whined about the noise coming from the Canberra Uni music fest... Which was held during the day....

I lived closer to the Uni than he did, and the wind was blowing in my direction and I still didn't hear a thing!

Trouble is these mood police that insist on bringing the vibe down have either forgotten what it is to be young or they are jealous....

Could be a number of different reasons why they have these silly noise restrictions, the excuse that the Darwin council gave for the restrictions on loud live music was that live loud music encouraged alcohol-fuelled violence in one of the streets in the Darwin central business district, the NT government had put in placed something called the "Banned Drinker's List"
a couple of years ago to try to deal with the NT's high rate of alcoholism (Darwin seems to be the highest), then the Banned Drinker's List got repealed about a year later.

Rabbitz
14-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Hey Doc,

Might be in Darwin around Xmas - Mrs wants to experience the build up.

If we head up I'll drop you a line, and buy you a beer...

DrNomis_44
14-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Hey Doc,

Might be in Darwin around Xmas - Mrs wants to experience the build up.

If we head up I'll drop you a line, and buy you a beer...

That would be cool, I don't really plan on going anywhere for Christmas this year anyway, cheers mate.

dingobass
14-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Wow... Live music causes excessive drinking and violence?
Thats a new one....

Of course, the mixing of meth amphetamines and booze has nothing to do with it...
So it must be the live music, ergo, musos are evil and must be eradicated from society....
Sarcasm intended.

DrNomis_44
14-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Wow... Live music causes excessive drinking and violence?
Thats a new one....

Of course, the mixing of meth amphetamines and booze has nothing to do with it...
So it must be the live music, ergo, musos are evil and must be eradicated from society....
Sarcasm intended.

Yeah, I totally agree, politicians are a funny lot when it comes to problem solving, they tend to fix problems by treating the symptoms rather than the cause, maybe we Australian musicians should start a revolution, or maybe start a new political party or something.

I miss the days where you could go out and see a great live band, used to go and see live bands a lot when I was in my early 20's growing up in Kununurra in the Kimberleys, saw a band called The Zep Boys at the Kununurra Leisure Centre one night, also got to see Ian Moss in concert there too.

dingobass
14-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Ahhhh, the good old days....

keloooe
14-10-2015, 07:00 PM
*sigh* now I really do wish I wasn't so young and could enjoy more music....

Gavin1393
14-10-2015, 07:20 PM
*sigh* now I really do wish I wasn't so young and could enjoy more music....
Dont FRET Pest, those days are 'coming back' with all the vintage stuff around....music is fast discovering the it is the vintage equipment that had all the warmth and soul!

DrNomis_44
14-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Dont FRET Pest, those days are 'coming back' with all the vintage stuff around....music is fast discovering the it is the vintage equipment that had all the warmth and soul!

Marshall have been doing some Handwired versions of at least two of their most famous amp models, the JTM 45 and Super Lead Plexi complete with the original-style Tufnel Turret Boards, I'd love to have a go at building a Super Lead Plexi one day, I agree, sometimes the old stuff is the best, have you ever noticed how some new stuff tends to be less reliable nowadays?

keloooe
14-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Dont FRET Pest

Wow Gav.... Just wow....