PDA

View Full Version : November 2015 Guitar of the Month

adam
02-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Enter your finished guitar here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars November 2015 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

One guitar per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)

We need 4 photos:

full guitar shot from the front;
close up of the body finish;
shot of the back of the guitar; and
close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to adam (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible.

Competition for October closes 31 October 2015.

Winner will be judged by the Pit Bull Guitars Judging Panel, including the winner of the October GOTM.

ozzbike
03-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Woo Hoo.....first and worst for the month.....I have finished my build diary right here.......

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4171&page=3

She is a Pitbull Strat kit with a basswood body and maple neck and fingerboard. I put a pitbull pearloid pickguard and pitbull gold upgrade pack on her and that is it.

My mix of colours for the body and the neck....and then finished with naughty oil under wipe on naughty-a-thane.

Plays wicked....all setup and with a low action....single coil sweetness.

wokkaboy
03-10-2015, 09:58 AM
nice one Ozz this come up looking nice, the yellow fingerboard is a nice change and goes well with the body colour and the gold hardware. Well done

Dave Easter
04-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Here goes guys! My ES 3 just finished. Stock PBG kit, only additions are knobs, pots and truss rod cover. ( but I'm still not sure if I like the truss rod cover.....)57225723572457255726

wokkaboy
04-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Well done Dave I really dig this axe. Nicely .
personalised.
I just realised my signature has been jacked. I'm not really that much of a weagles fan!

Island_Moose
05-10-2015, 02:53 AM
Dave, that is a beautiful guitar. The sharp cutaway 'horn' is really great. The photos not only show the natural beauty of the guitar, but all the work you have to do this coming weekend ;)

dingobass
05-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Dave, one word.
Classy!

Woks, It is so much fun highjacking your avatar...
Has to be some advantages with being a moderator :)

wokkaboy
05-10-2015, 08:44 AM
haha nice one DB I like my current avatar. I just had to remove 'AVID WEST COAST SUPPORTER' from my signature hahha

dingobass
05-10-2015, 08:53 AM
I see you also spotted die hard Ford fanatic as well.... :p

wokkaboy
05-10-2015, 08:56 AM
when did my avatar or signature have Ford fan DB ?

please don't do that, that is much lower than posting me as an Avid WCE fan haha

gavinturner
05-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Ozz, love the color you achieved for this axe and the gold hardware really sets it off! Nice build man. Dave, a really lovely ES-3 from you. The headstock inlay is especially impressive.

cheers,
Gav.

Gavin1393
05-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Dave, one word.
Classy!

Woks, It is so much fun highjacking your avatar...
Has to be some advantages with being a moderator :)
The thread Hijack team leader has had his avatar Hi-jacked? :)

....Has there been a randsom note?

wokkaboy
05-10-2015, 01:29 PM
haha not that I've seen yet Gavmiester

KurtSlash123
11-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Alright so i think its about time i place this thing in here. first ever entry into GoTM.. yew, excited, i think. kinda nervous, ah what the hell.

So here it is, the LP-1, made for my girlfriend for our 2 year anniversary, clearly this is fashionably late.

Flame maple top covered in a beautiful green stain. then with a black 'sunburst'. clear coated with plain ol' acrylic gloss. came up a treat. black tuners and all other hardware. stock pickups, (sounds wonderful by the way). had a custom logo put on it, stating 'Princess' because well, shes my princess, pretty self explanatory. only other major customisation i did was in the wiring. usually in an LP, people put 2 volume, 2 tone, and well i hate the idea of 2 volume... soooo, i converted this thing into a 1 volume, 2 tone and a kill switch. simply so she can just flick the switch and not have to worry about other controls until later on.

So yeah this is it. P.S.... DB, i know how much you love wood grain and your 'let wood grain be wood grain'.. i really didn't want to put any paint over this, nor the pickguard, but it was the missus decision, and what she says goes, i'm sure you understand ;)

dingobass
11-10-2015, 08:35 PM
I forgive you :)

Looks great, you can still see the flamey goodness.

GeneralKaos
11-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Very Nice!!

wokkaboy
11-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Hey Kurt big well done for finishing the build and looks real cool. I'm a big fan of green and black flame goodness

keloooe
12-10-2015, 04:45 AM
Looks fantastic Kurt!

stan
12-10-2015, 04:17 PM
love the green/black Kurt, cool looking axe

KurtSlash123
12-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Cheers fellas! ^.^

Ejay
13-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Woops. Posted it in October.
This is my IB-5. Its the first time I have made a Kit before.
I was going for a slightly rubbed antique look as a Warm up to maybe doing a steampunk project in future. As per usual first stage was to sand it. I then spay painted it with black paint. Then rubbed most of that out ( Not all. Still left some in the grain to make it look as if it has been restored/ Old) I made my own Stain using 2 Off the shelf Colors from Bunnings. for the finish I used shellac with a bit of the same stain in it. It has about 12 coats of shellac on it. after each 4 coats I rubbed it with 0000 steel wool. the result is the uneven shade through the face getting darker on the edges.

wokkaboy
13-10-2015, 11:34 AM
great job Ejay, so looks like you didn't recess the control cover ?
A similar looking IB-5 built by Robin 2 or 3 years ago won GOTM !

stan
13-10-2015, 11:43 AM
very nice bass Ejay. Looks like an old violin. excellent first build

andrewdosborne
13-10-2015, 11:56 AM
A great bunch of GOTM entries already and only half way through the month. Good work everyone!

Ejay
13-10-2015, 12:02 PM
As a first kit I did not really know how to improve it being a noob and all. However, after completing it I now have a lot of ideas like what you have suggested. Even small modifications can improve things quite drastically. Only after installing the jack plug (for example) I realised that it doesn't sit totally flush as standard. If I were to do it again I would have recessed the 1/4in Jack slightly so that it mounts onto a flat surface.

Ejay
13-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks stan.... I think building guitars could become an addiction. Loads more fun than restoring old furniture.... Might have to learn how to play now LOL...

Fretworn
15-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Very nice there Ejay

kenfu
17-10-2015, 11:31 AM
My entry for GOTM. First build, and the Les Paul is one of my favorite guitars of all time, and spalted woods are one of my favorites, so the LP-1S was a no brainer. I used a chemical wash to oxidize the wood and give it an aged look. Black lacquer on the back, and then a bunch of clear over all. The fretboard I died with ink and then put ColorTone fret oil on. Seymore Duncan Hot Rodded pups, SD Triple Shot mounting rings, and Gotoh 510 tuners. This has been way more fun than I expected and I think the start of an obsession... Already planning future kits!

wazkelly
17-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Wow, that looks great Kenfu.

stan
17-10-2015, 06:27 PM
love the treatment to the spalt Ken, great looking guitar

jarrod
17-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Nice work bro and great hop ups added too.

Island_Moose
18-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Beauty, all the bits come together in a great package Kenfu

Cambo76
18-10-2015, 02:41 PM
This is my MM4 in trans red 'bloodburst' that I've incorporated a Jack The Ripper transfer collage on the back of. Hope you like it!

WeirdBits
18-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Awesome...

andrewdosborne
18-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Stunning bass Cambo! Love it.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

stan
18-10-2015, 04:24 PM
wow Cambo, nicely finished bass

dingobass
18-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Wow. Just wow.

I will send da boys around to collect this beauty soon :)

keloooe
18-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Wow. Just wow.

I will send da boys around to collect this beauty soon :)

Not unless I grab it first! Stunning bass Cambo!

wokkaboy
18-10-2015, 10:54 PM
just caught up with the last 2 entries what can I say, Ken and Cambo stunning entries.
Both original and nicely finished

Fretworn
19-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Good luck judges! Some very nice guitars/basses already this month and there is still couple of weeks.

pablopepper
19-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Holy dooley, this is shaping up to be a tough month. Seriously awesome axes here. Not a stinker among them.

kenfu
19-10-2015, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't say no stinkers. Mine smelled like rusty vinegar for a couple days... The guitar and the apartment...

wokkaboy
19-10-2015, 10:24 PM
sure it was worth the smell Ken !

nDR01d
21-10-2015, 10:07 AM
OK, with some trepidation, I am throwing my hat into the ring, so to speak. Constructive comments welcome. Let me add I haven't had this much fun, even when frustrated with non working capacitors, fret buzz and other things, get in your way, for a very long time. This guitar has been very much a journey for me. But the best bit of advice I got from this forum was that "There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins...". This really got me through. Thanks DB. Now for the guitar - it does have mods ie:BJM kit, trem weight and pick guard from Guitar Fetish and small parts from eBay ie:string tree and silver knobs, plus Entwistle pickups along with DB clear neck finish, bought proudly from the Pitbull website. Now, I hope I just got the right photos ;) PS: Intonating was especially fun - what a surprise it was to Adam rocking out on the TL-1!60286029603060316032

nDR01d
21-10-2015, 10:09 AM
And here's the headstock detail...FYI - It's a swan head.6033

kenfu
22-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Love the color and the antiquing on the finish. And that hardware is sick!

andrewdosborne
23-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Nice one nDR01d and subtly reliced. Like the headstock!

Fretworn
23-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Is that "Red Special" wiring nDR01d?

stan
23-10-2015, 12:57 PM
nice work droid, some cool customs bits, love the neck plate and you need to tell us more about that wiring!

nDR01d
23-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Fretworn and Stan, yep. That's right, BHM = Brian May wiring (although I think my finger slipped and hit the J next to the H key in the original description). It was a rather large bite to chew on for my first build let me tell you. But in the end, with tips from a few of the gurus (looking at you Wokka, Stan and esp. Rabbitz) I was able to get the thing making some noise. =D It sounds so beefy just on a clear channel, and then you flick a few switches and she sounds like it's made of (dare I say - Bohemian) crystal.

keloooe
23-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Looks sik nDR01d, definitely must have been a bit of a pain with the wiring!

nDR01d
24-10-2015, 07:08 AM
lol. I don't think you have any idea Kel! But honestly, I think I'll just stick to easier electrics for a while - micro dpdt switches are just a headache.

keloooe
24-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Could have routed out some of the body and even made up your own PCB with screw terminals so its just a plug and play system!

nDR01d
24-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Now you tell me! ;) Maybe next-time I'll be pm you for your help!

Cambo76
24-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Note 24th October: I have updated my photos to show that the bass has been intonated, and string tree and strap buttons have been attached.6106610761086109

glennh
24-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Hi Dave, that 's a great finish. I'm attempting the same on an ES 1. Mind sharing how you achieved it? thanks

jarrod
25-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Man that is stunning.

Fretworn
26-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Nice job there Cambo76

vh2580
26-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Holy cow are there some crackin guitars in this month.

wokkaboy
26-10-2015, 11:09 AM
good luck judges this month is certainly a fantastic collection of axes

Rainsy
27-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Well just got this SG-1 finished so may as well post a few photos right?

First guitar build and first time using an airbrush but overall I think it turned out pretty well. Not much in the way of mods other than etching a truss rod cover plate using a technique I use to make simple circuit boards. Nice cheap investment of a piece of paper, laser printed image, a piece of aluminium and some hydrochloric acid to "do the work". I should have etched it a little deeper as it can only really be seen from specific angles. It does however work in nicely with the silver lines on the headstock and body, which also slightly change colour/intensity depending on the lighting. A bit of lemon oil on the fretboard brought it up real nice too. The only thing missing is a pick guard which I'll make out of a clear laminate or something.

The only casualty of my first build was my jig saw. Broke it while shaping the headstock :(. Oh well. These things happen. I'll just have to fix it before doing the next build :cool:

Now I just need to figure out how to tune it and learn to play.

wazkelly
27-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Wow, looks great. Sure you haven't done this before as for a first build this is stunning.

andrewdosborne
27-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Nice one Rainsy. Airbrush work almost gives a quilted appearance and great burst. Headstock also good match with the body horns.

Gavin1393
27-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Rainsy - this is stunning. Well done.

wokkaboy
27-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Nice work Rainsy great first build. Some cool personal touches and love the head stock shape pretty original. You must be proud and you will have to learn to play now

kenfu
27-10-2015, 11:15 PM
That is a sweet guitar! Can you provide a little more detail on the etching process you used or a link? That sounds very intriguing. Good luck learning to play! I'm in the same boat.

KurtSlash123
28-10-2015, 05:57 AM
Okay you've got drooling over your headstock shape, that is just truly beautiful, if I were judging, I'd have you win on that alone :P

vh2580
28-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Very Nice Build Rainsy, And agrre with Kurt on the headstock an awesome shape

Fretworn
28-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Nice one Rainsy. This is turning into a mega-month!

Rainsy
29-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the positive comments guys. It usually takes me three goes to get something the way I like it but I think I got pretty good on the first one in this case. Already getting ideas for the next one.

The judges are definitely going to have fun this month. So many different designs and unique in their own way.

kenfu, I may make a tutorial if there is enough interest in how to etch aluminium like this. Photos being worth a thousand words and all.

jp
02-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone
Have finished my RC-1 and my homage to John Lennon.
I finished my Pitbull Rickenbacker in Black Burst with custom made Truss Rod Cover.
Replaced the nut for a lower action and replaced the switch with a Gibson switch and it plays really well.
Did the set-up and sounds great with a Capo now. It has a lot of scope in the sound.
A special mention to my hubby Glenn who taught me to solder... was a lot of fun...

I think I'll be doing another guitar at some stage...
Ciao Janet

stan
02-11-2015, 05:23 PM
killer sg Rainsy, best headstock version for a 3x3 i've seen, unique and cool

wokkaboy
02-11-2015, 05:26 PM
welcome Janet,
the November GOTM competition has closed but if you want to enter your RC-1 read the rules first post of the thread and submit 4 photos in the December GOTM thread.
Best of luck !

adam
06-11-2015, 07:11 PM
The results are in...

In submission order:

Ozzbike’s ST-1

“Everyone loves a green ST and this is no exception! Gold hardware and pearl pick guard just scream Surf rock. Nice clean job and a real eye catcher, when can I pick it up.”

“Loving the combination of colours. That green/blue is a nice change on a strat and matches perfectly. Gold hardware and some nice decal and headstock work makes this look shop ready. Gorgeous.”

“Loving the combination of colours. That green/blue is a nice change on a strat and matches perfectly. Gold hardware and some nice decal and headstock work makes this look shop ready. Gorgeous.”

“Nicely put together. The gold bling does give the impression of something a bit more high end.”

Dave Easter’s ES-3

“Great work on the head stock and the natural finish on this model with the coloured sides just suits it to the ground. This screams Jazz guitar to me, pure class.”

“Great natural finish on this one. Love contrast on the sides too. Props on the headstock shape and inlay - we're starting to see more inlay work lately. Lovely. Only point of criticism is the truss rod cover + inlay is a bit busy for me.”

“This guitar exudes class. Clearly a tremendous amount of vision and skill have gone into the headstock, and the hardware selection is spot-on. I could easily be convinced that this is a guitar that has been around for decades, it commands attention, and it instantly makes me want to play it. The grain is extremely-subtle. I think it works, and the body has become a backdrop for the high-quality hardware and the extraordinary headstock.”

“Classy and beautifully elegant. Understand about the choice of truss rod cover - maybe a black one to match the pickguard?”

KurtSlash123’s LP-1

“What a great coloured LP-1. Black hardware suits it nicely and I love the name Princess, more like Evil Rock Witch with those aggressive looks. Would love to see it under neon lights, great build.”

“Green machines are pretty rare on the forum - nice to see something different. Green and black is a classic combo and works well on the LP. The fade is a bit too harsh for me and it looks like there's a few dings in the finish but other than that a sweet looking axe. - i'm sure it'll shred with a good set up.”

“I think when this vision for this guitar was developing in the builder’s mind, the black hardware, and a black-green burst was being weighed against wanting to highlight the beautiful grain of the top. All in all I think the vision was realised. This guitar has got all the makings of an absolute stunner. When an emerald emerges from the ground, it has an underlying beauty, but actually requires a spectacular amount of work to reach its full potential. I think that this guitar needs just a bit more time spent on the final finish; the gloss intended has not been fully-achieved.”
“This looks truly stunning - you've done a great job! Black bling totally rocks!”

Ejay’s IB-5

“Well hello there “how you doin?”
This just oozes appeal, You have chosen your colour well for this PB model and the grain is just popping out . Great photos of the beast too but I feel I really need to play this to really appreciate it , You have done a nice job you should be proud. To be honest I don’t think I could just walk past it if it was hanging on the wall in a shop.”

“First of all, props on the amazing photography. Super nice. Not much to say on this one. Classic colour, classic finish, classic headstock shape. Everything just looks flawless on this one. Would love to have a jam on it.”

“This bass is inspiring. The preparation, the choice of stain and the assembly is unbelievable. The photography must also be commended. I totally understand the “rubbed finish” intent, and you are absolutely on track here, the final result has been magical. It is of course a matter of preference, but I would have loved to have seen the grain filled before the shellac went on, which would have still given a “hand-rubbed” appearance, but would have given it such a smooth appearance, like a walking stick that has been handed down over the generations. You nailed it on the neck, but that smoothness would have been incredible on the body. To complete that theme, the rear covers would need to be flush-mounted. Despite this, I am awe-struck looking at this work of art.“

“Colour choice - amazing - totally loving the look of this IB!”

Kenfu’s LP-1S

“Loving the logo and the way that the spalt and flame have come out in this one!”

“Loving the headstock picture. You have put a lot of effort into this build and frankly it does show. The Spalty goodness is always an eye catcher and the pick up choice I’m liking a lot. little more sanding around the headstock would have given a more professional precision look but none the less be proud of this beast.”

“I've loved watching this build develop. Acid finish has really popped that spalt and with the clears it has just come up amazingly. Some hot Seymour Duncan pups and she's ready to sing. You received some criticism on the stock but I personally think it goes well with the theme of the guitar. Really well done.”

“This spalted beauty has really been well conceived and well-executed. The creativity with the staining has resulted in a grain that reveals new complexity every time I look at it. The builder knew that the spalted top was the main attraction, and everything was done in respect of this. The headstock details, the hardware, and the final ‘balance’ of this guitar are extraordinary. I note it’s perhaps not intonated, and despite its near perfection on the clearcoat, there is minor orange-peel in the top. Picky perhaps, but on this guitar, the clearcoat is the glass frame above the work of art, and it must be flawless. “

Cambo76’s MMB-4

“Oh wow love the idea’s you have put into this build to make it original. Great black/red burst and a nice finish to match. This has “Slap Dat Bass “ written all over it. Great build and some great original well thought out ideas.”

“Great looking build Cambo. Classy trans-red finish came up a treat and your finish is quite flawless. Love the photographs that have been included in the back of the guitar too. Some nice touches.”

“Of course what jumps out at me initially with this bass is the fantastic use of the print on the back. This has been so expertly-applied, and adds so much character to the bass. The rest of the build is solid, well done, with a professional factory-feel. There seems to be a finish issue around the 1st string machine post at the headstock, some clear-coat lifting? This is a bass that needs to be played on stage, it’s wonderful.”

“Cool way to bring through a concept! Loving how the headstock really reflects the feel of the rest of the guitar.”

nDRO1D’s ST-1 relic

“Man did you drop this thing several times on the way to the photo shoot. To achieve this look without looking like you just hacked at a new guitar is not as easy as it looks!!! Frankly you nailed it..... well everything but put nails in it. I’m not one for relics unless it is a relic but I am drawn to this one because it does look like you have been gigging with it for 20 years. Great job.”

“Crazy wiring, crazy headstock and a relic - I'm sure this one will split the panel. I'm not one to instantly hate a relic and I think you've done this one with a bit of restraint which is nice to see. Not too sure on the headstock for my own tastes though. Would love to see some pics of the wiring.”

“This guitar made me smile. That headstock, those switches, the relic treatment, it’s a statement, a departure from the every-day, and a ballsy-entry. At the end of the day, the relic treatment is believable (except the very flash neck plate), the actual fit and finish is very good, the electronics certainly look exciting. The headstock is the sort that you either love or hate, but it’s unique.”

“Great ST - love the wiring effort!”

cont....

adam
06-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Cont...

Rainsey’s SG-1

“Ok people know I’m a sucker to the airbrush so how can I not love this entry. Headstock design is miles away from what is normal for this guitar and to me that's a great thing. I can see this being played in a psychedelic 70’s band. Great work”

“Big effort for a first build, particularly on the sprayed finish. Blue is very bright and this thing will have stage presence.”

“This guitar is a good solid build, everything is where it should be, it’s got an interesting headstock and I like the base colour combination. It’s really about the air-brushed detail, that's what sets it apart, and what makes it unique. I like it, and it would have a lot of stage presence.”

“Nice airbrushing and etching - has really brought new character to this SG!”

And the winner is...

Ejay's IB-5

Congratulations Ejay, this bass looks amazing and I don't think anyone wouldn't want it in their collection.

wokkaboy
06-11-2015, 07:34 PM
congratulations Ejay a really nice build. Well done all other entrants anyone could have won.
Well done judges on another tough month !

kenfu
06-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Congrats Ejay and great job. Spectacular guitars all around!

Arzi
06-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Good job Ejay! Congrats on the win!

stan
07-11-2015, 06:15 AM
sensational bass Ejay, a good win in a tough field, all very nice guitars

nDR01d
07-11-2015, 06:30 AM
Firstly - congrats Ejay. That's definitely a bass I would love to own! Secondly - Thanks to the judges on doing such a tough job this month and thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

jarrod
07-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Well done sir, and I can tell you that was a tough one to judge. Every month the quality and originality seems to improve which tells me the advice people are giving and the workmanship people are doing is awsome.

Rabbitz
07-11-2015, 07:16 AM
Well done. A real stunner.

The competition is getting really hot...

crundes
07-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Congrats Ejay! And well done to all the other contestants! Amazing builds all round.

Island_Moose
07-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Congratulations Ejay, a real stunner!! Bloody amazing lineup this month.

vh2580
07-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Congrats Ejay , Awesome build and as per usual the quality of the other entries was right up there.

keloooe
07-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Congrats Ejay, what a ripper of a bass!

andrewdosborne
07-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Well deserved Ejay and to all other entrants. When is this bass being shipped to me? Lol

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Dekka28
09-11-2015, 04:06 AM
Congrats Ejay. Great bass! That would definitely have a prime spot in my collection.

Dave Easter
09-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Congratulations Ejay, a totally gorgeous guitar, it had me drooling too! Brilliant, really well done!

Fretworn
10-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Congrats Ejay!

Ejay
18-11-2015, 06:55 AM
WOW. I just got back from OS and ( I WON GOM! ) I am over the moon. Thank you for your kind words. BTW it sounds great!