3.modern

if anyone can shred some light on the differences
would be greatly appreciated

I understand that the vintage lowers the volume as the tones turned down
where as modern doesn't
but dont understand the difference with the pitbull wiring

Gavin1393
30-09-2015, 10:02 AM
The modern way is to solder the tone pot up to the outer lug of the volume pot. The 50s version is to wire it up to the central lug of the volume pot. Which is best depends on personal preference really. Also to some extent your guitar, pickups and playing style may influence your preference. Whilst it is true that the modern wiring version will maintain the overall volume better when you roll down the volume, you are sacrificing a bit of the high end. If you have a bright pickup then the modern wiring option would 'fix' this and avoid the piercing tones when playing with less volume and the same amount of treble! Alternatively, the 50s version keeps the amount of treble the same but you do lose a bit in volume as soon as you roll down the tone pot.

keloooe
30-09-2015, 10:09 AM
I like the 50's but install a Treble Bleed mod (it's just an extra capacitor and resister per pot) for LP wiring.

pablopepper
30-09-2015, 10:46 AM
The 50's wiring should negate the need for a treble bleed circuit, but it links the volume and tone pots in such a way as they effect each other a little when adjusted.

WeirdBits
30-09-2015, 04:28 PM
The PBG LP-1 layout (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/PBG-2Hum4Pot%20v5.pdf) is 'modern' style wiring, it's just that it has a wire link to the tone pot then capacitor to ground rather than the capacitor as the link then tone pot to ground. Either way works, it's just that using the cap as the link to the tone pot (as in your example) is more efficient and saves having to use a wire (although some may argue that they can hear a difference).