im wondering how to avoid streaks with my finish

ill coat with tru-oil lightly rubbing in circles
let dry
Scuff with 0000 wool
wipe with cloth
then repeat

but im getting streak lines from wiping the oil on

is it because im not using enough oil and the dries parts if my chucks clothe
is slightly wiping off the oil leaving streaks?
Or will buffing it after it curing will remove them
its hard to photo but I have a cpl

WhiteRabbitz
29-09-2015, 09:06 AM
The first pic you can see the streak just on the left right above the pickup cavity

dingobass
29-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Might have to throw this one over to our TO using peeps....
I simply refuse to use the stuff :p

I will also move this thread to Finishing your Guitar section :)

andrewdosborne
29-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Ok, my solution is to thin out the TO after applying the neat stuff in the desired quantity. I thin out with white spirit, 50/50 or 25/75 TO/spirit

Gavin1393
29-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Might have to throw this one over to our TO using peeps....
I simply refuse to use the stuff :p

I will also move this thread to Finishing your Guitar section :)

Thank goodness you are ok DB, got the distress call and Wokka and I were on our way with "Chips" siren going and the paramedics....with the resuscitation equipment

dingobass
29-09-2015, 09:32 AM
It was touch and go there for a while, Gav...
Lucky for me, Miss Fiona hasnt left for work yet so she came to my rescue with a strong cup of coffee and a fist full of asprins :p

wokkaboy
29-09-2015, 09:41 AM
WhiteRabbitz it might help to use a fine cotton rag, what are you using chux wipes to rag on the TO ?
The smoother the rag the better the finish you will get, or get some lint free cloths.
I tend to run the rag one end of the guitar to the other in 1 motion and hold it up to the light to see if there are any runs or streaks.
It takes a bit of practice. As Andrew says the last 2 coats can be thinned down a bit should give you a flatter finish.
Keep fine steel wooling between coats

robin
29-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Hey Rabbitz, pretty much what Andrew and Woks said. When I have built up the level of TO I want I will thin out the TO with White Spirit for the last 3 coats. I will usually sand down (very lightly) with 2000 grit between these coats.

If you still haven't got the finish you want you may have to cut it back. I use Brasso then a good quality auto finishing/swirl remover that has no silicon.

Use the Brasso at your own discretion, I have no idea how it reacts with TO over time but I have done several guitar now with Brasso and they come up a treat and are not showing any adverse reaction to the stuff.

Cheers
rob

DeadRoman
06-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Would buffing out with automotive rubbing compiund in the final coat be of any help?

robin
07-11-2015, 02:29 AM
Hi there DR and welcome to the Forums. Not to sure as there are few grades of cutting compound I would think that some of the courser ones might be a bit aggressive. Just my opinion as I have never used them on TO.