PDA

View Full Version : most effective place for braided shield wire

WhiteRabbitz
20-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Hey everyone......

Ive been trying to find info on where the most effective place is to use my braided shield wire.
whether to use it as ground wire or use it as a shielded hot wire?
Ive have lp-1l

thanks in advance for your replys

Rabbitz
20-09-2015, 03:46 PM
First up, what do you hope to achieve by using shielded wire?

On the LP kits, it is seen to be important to shield the cavities with copper or ally tape, or shielding paint and to bring this all to ground potential.

Once this is done you have a pretty good shield for electrical noise and most RF that you would care about.

I guess you *could* run shielded wire between the cavities, I guess. I don't think it would achieve much and would add to the complexity of wiring it all up.

A shielded wire from the output jack into the first cavity might be worthwhile.

The shield in and of itself doesn't really have any magical properties, what it does is just provide a path to ground that can create a Faraday Shield (of sorts) around the centre wires. If there are no electrical fields or RF to shield against it really doesn't achieve much. The cavity shielding is there to remove those fields.

So while it wont hurt to use shielded wiring, it really won't achieve much and will complicate the wiring.

I hope this helps.

dingobass
22-09-2015, 09:00 PM
The only time I use shielded wire is on long runs.
In your case, it would be from the switch back to the control cavity.

Solder the braid to the earth point on the switch and back of the volume pot in the cavity.

DrNomis_44
04-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Best place to use braided shield wire is where low level signals are involved, the braided shield is there to reduce hum pickup and RFI (Radio Frequency Interference).