PDA

View Full Version : Telecaster bass with pup options on order?

Arzi
13-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Hi

I'm beginning to get fond of the telecaster bass as my possible next attempt and was wondering if it could be one future kit as pup options on making the order? Kind of semi custom kit? This way the simple kit itself would have options to order as a blank with no pickup routing or options for vintage type of single coil or humbucker for example? I don't know if the factory has made this kind of kits or how hard it would be to run new templates for the machinery over there. Would be nice to have a "blank option" to customize pickup choices for one self . Just a thought...

Arzi

Arzi
13-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Just a few pics with different pups

dave.king1
13-09-2015, 06:50 PM
I've got on original Fender HB as in the top pic looking for something to put it in, very tempting thought

Brendan
13-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Arzi - also a fan of the Telebass - mainly with the early P-Bass pickup (3rd picture). Difficulty is finding someone who makes cheap '51 P Bass pickups. Not sure how different the body is from a standard P Bass - maybe you could get a standard PB-4 with no pickup routs then add the rest yourself? Looks like you can get genuine F pickguards, etc if you're up to paying their prices :(.

dingobass
13-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Did some one say Tele Bass?

keloooe
13-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Also a fan of the Tele bass :D

Gavin1393
13-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Did some one say Tele Bass?

Arzi, meet DB......:P :)

Tindrrel
13-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Tele bass! But not a bass shaped like a telecaster guitar. No. Definitely the double cut one.

Arzi
13-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Yep

The real tele bass shape for balance's sake too. I'm beginning to like this one more every time I look at it and can see myself building one. Maybe with one single coil and a humbucker in it. Simple and classy. Should be cost effective to make too since all the parts except body shape can be taken from other kits? Would be a great addition for the bass selection plus haven't seen this kind of kit anywhere else - like the RC-4 that got me hooked on PBG. :)

wokkaboy
14-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Arzi, flick an email to Ads he should be able to get the factory to do a custom Tele bass with no pup routes.
DB built a scratch tele bass maybe he can give you ideas for pup arrangements

Arzi
14-09-2015, 01:00 PM
The PB-4 body is quite similar in shape as the Telebass from the 70's unless you want the earlier look with no comfortable shaping. Also if one would wanna add for example binding on it then the flat top would serve it better. But yes - one could build a Tele looking instrument with PB-4 if everything but neck pocket routing was left out. Have to think about this. DB would probably know how similar the two bodies are or could the PB-4 body be used as is for Telebass kit in the future with just routing and cotrols modified.

At the moment there are just necks and fretboards on PBG shop and no bodies. Some PBG blank bodies would be fun as they would give a chance to do modified but still PBG builds.

Or the blank option for each kit to choose from. Could be for the same price or bit less and without pickup/controls routing and all hardware - the person who wants to modify multiple things in a build is likely gonna upgrade the parts too and now that the hardware selection is bigger this could go hand in hand. For a person like me this would be a tempting option for I have no facilities or any chance of making a scratch build.

Also one basic bolt-on bass neck could be a useful addition to use as a source for a replacement neck.

Just a few thoughts of mine to bounce around.

dingobass
15-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Here is a link to my take on the Tele Bass :)

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1821

Arzi
16-09-2015, 03:37 AM
Wow DB! Now I gotta have one....

You just make it look so easy doing a scratchy that you just planted some scary thoughts in my head... :)

wokkaboy
16-09-2015, 09:39 AM
I just read the tele bass build diary, that was a ripper build DB and reading it again learnt a few more tips !

adam
17-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Hi

I'm beginning to get fond of the telecaster bass as my possible next attempt and was wondering if it could be one future kit as pup options on making the order? Kind of semi custom kit? This way the simple kit itself would have options to order as a blank with no pickup routing or options for vintage type of single coil or humbucker for example? I don't know if the factory has made this kind of kits or how hard it would be to run new templates for the machinery over there. Would be nice to have a "blank option" to customize pickup choices for one self . Just a thought...

Arzi

I've got the factory looking into the Tele bass and I like the idea of an option of a body without pup routs. We can offer one with a single coil in the neck, one with a humbucker (neck) and JB (bridge) and one with no routs.

I'll let you know what they say.

Andy40
17-12-2015, 06:04 PM
What do bass players need a cut away for??? :p

Arzi
17-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Hi

Damn... I'm starting a p51/Billy Sheehan's "wife"/jazz hybrid project next month but I'm definately interested in building an original type of tele/ p51 bass in the future. Option without pup routing would be ideal for me if I wanted to place either say scpb pup or even an old mudbucker/wide range HB on it.

A blank canvas as they say... And you could equip it with exactly what hardware you want from the PBG catalog or as an optional full set.

I think I'm somewhat typical builder as I started with the complete kits and now I want to modify things here and there. I'm anxious to see how this turns out. :)

tonyw
18-12-2015, 02:47 AM
Nearly put one together last year 51spec P body with the 68 spec telecaster bass neck. 1single/single coil pickup that i was going to wind myself.

I would be in for a tele bass kit seeing as i already have the control plate ;)

pablopepper
18-12-2015, 06:27 AM
Possibly a poignant question...

Telecaster bass,
http://www.edroman.com/guitars/fender/images/fender-tele-bass.jpg

or Telecaster bass?
http://www.notreble.com/buzz/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Telecaster-Bass-Special-620x187.jpg

tonyw
18-12-2015, 07:01 AM
the top one Paplo taken off the 51P

pablopepper
18-12-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm asking which is being looked into as a kit.

tonyw
18-12-2015, 07:16 AM
Yeh i was just putting my 2 bobs worth in for the top one :cool:

adam
18-12-2015, 09:23 AM
If we're going to offer a Tele bass it should look like a Tele. IMHO.

Happy to be talked around.

wokkaboy
18-12-2015, 09:25 AM
haha Ads no one can talk you into a tele bass that is not shaped like a tele guitar.
I would probably build one if it became available, and would like one without any pup routes.
If someone wants a double cut tele bass it can easily be modified.

DB - warning mate, if this kit becomes available you do know you have another kit to build for Ads !

pablopepper
18-12-2015, 09:39 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/85473-south-park-NICE-meme-fi0v.png

wokkaboy
18-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Also Ads is it possible for the factory to have a fretless neck option, ie cut the fret slots and not install frets ?
That way the person building can put in fret markers and not have to rip frets out, so less work for the factory and kit builder.

Since I got a fretless bass I am with DB, they are the coolest

Arzi
18-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Hi

Personally I'd be interested in both Tele shape and p51 shape kits. Actually the Tele would be cool if it would be balanced and not too neck heavy. With lighter tuners maybe? Tele shaped headstock removes weight too of course.

Would this be a short scale then? The projects I've found online were made with tele body and short scale bass necks.

BenWA
18-12-2015, 01:00 PM
both shapes are cool i reckon

adam
18-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Sorry guys I can't get every option, if you want something special just custom order it. The price will be the same ($219), depending what options you want, and you'll have it in 6-8 weeks. I will ask for a small quantity of fretless TL bass kits.

The scale length on the original is full scale. Ive ordered some SG style 3/4 scale bass kits on the same shipment.

adam
18-03-2016, 06:28 PM
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-tlb-4-electric-bass-guitar-kit/

gavinturner
18-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Awesome!

Cheers,
Gav.

Arzi
29-03-2016, 12:26 AM
Seems like I have to try this one later in the summer. Too good to pass. Looks awesome!!

dingobass
29-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Stay tuned for my build dairy on one of these bad boys :)

wokkaboy
29-03-2016, 11:03 AM
good one DB, so no doubt you will be building the fretless kit ? What pups have you got planned ?