PDA

View Full Version : Tips on straightening a back bow?

Arzi
11-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Hi DB

Just got my new kit (MMB-4) and the neck has a slight back bow of about 1,5mm in height. The bow seems to be all the way of the neck and not just one high fret. This was a bit more before I loosened the truss rod about 3/4 of a turn. Now I'm just wondering how I could safely straighten the neck for fretwork in the future?

The truss rod seems to work ok - easily turning

The neck has no twist on it

I was told it's a dual action rod so can I just carefully turn the rod until it straightens? Like 1/4 and let it set and see?

Will the wood "live" and set for a while as it is a new and has propably experienced some climate changes along the way here ( temp changes etc)?

As I'm just starting the build and it's gonna take several months to finish - I'm not in a hurry. Just wanna make sure I don't screw up the neck and get it straight so I can do a proper fretjob - preferrably before attaching it to the body.

Thanks in advance

Arzi

dave.king1
11-09-2015, 12:31 PM
G'day Azri,

With my PBH-4 & STA kits I had to pretty much let the truss rod right off from it's delivered state and then bring it back in slowly as I took the string tension up in steps to pitch.

Don't know if this is the correct approach or not but it has now worked for me on three builds

Arzi
11-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Hi Dave

Thanks for the tip. Maybe it's the way to go. I was hoping for a way to do it before stringing up and finishing the build before fretjob, but have to do it way it works.

Brendan
11-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Truss rods on the Pitbull gear are all dual action - basically means that a 1/4 turn is in reality a 1/2 turn. Go slow, 1/4 turn at a time, let it rest and then redo. Should be eminently fixable and certainly should be done before the fretjob.

Gavin1393
11-09-2015, 05:13 PM
All the kits I got needed the truss rod to be set...Wokka. what about your kits?