PDA

View Full Version : Alternative wiring for split coil HBs

dave.king1
11-09-2015, 12:22 PM
G'day all,

I thought I'd throw this up as another way of wiring split coil humbuckers ( as per my Shergold Masquarader Custom )

The 3 way switching on each pup gives SC, HB out of phase, HB in that order front to back.

On mine when the front pup is out of phase and the rear set to SC it sounds a lot like a Strat with the switch in pos 4, but the tone options are quite amazing

armisis
04-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Beautiful!

I am trying to figure out how to do split coil on three humbuckers so I can have a five way switch and a toggle on the IB-1 ( https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-ib-1-electric-guitar-kit-copy )

I want to have it setup so I can do Bridge, Bridge/middle, middle, middle/neck, neck with the switch in one setting as being full humbuckers and when toggled be split on all the HB's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

dingobass
04-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Another one for the Wiremiester Guru, the amazing and talented Weirdy :)

WeirdBits
04-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Three humbuckers or two hums and a single coil middle? Will 3 hums fit on an IB-1? Either way you should be able to do the split with a single mini-toggle.

If it is 2 hums and a single coil middle you just need a DPDT mini-toggle to split the humbuckers. Simply wire the series links to the switch which will short them to ground or hot (the specific config depends on your pickups).

With three humbuckers it's a little trickier. A 4 pole 5-way lever switch with a DPDT mini-toggle would work... but, if I remember correctly, the IB-1 has a pretty thin body which limits what type of lever switch will fit. Next option is a normal 5-way lever switch with a 3PDT or 4PDT mini-toggle. The 3/4PDT mini switches are harder to find, but then you can split the 3 hums with the one switch just like the 2 hum option.

Edit: Actually, with a bit of sneakiness I think you could do the 3 hum option with just a DPDT as well. If you wire one pole of the 5-way with the 'hot' wires of the humbuckers, and then on the other pole connect the series links of the bridge and neck, you can then use the DPDT mini-toggle to both select which pole of the 5-way is active and connect the middle series link when the split is active. This would prevent things shorting when not being split, but would only work if the same coils are being used on each pickup.

I think it would work, never tried it.