PDA

View Full Version : Limewash on basswood

Rabbitz
08-09-2015, 07:18 PM
I really like the idea of a translucent limewash finish.

A bit like the bare basswood.

So here is the idea:

A darkish stain, probably grey, sanded back to pop what little grain the basswood has.

Limewash style stain over the top, probably knocked back as well.

Wipe on poly. I think more coats than DB would approve of.

Cut and polish with automotive cutting compound.

Anyone tried something like this?

Can anyone poke holes in the idea? (Please do, as a wise man learns from his mistakes, a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others)

Thanks

Colin

andrewdosborne
08-09-2015, 07:26 PM
I had a crack at using FW lime wash on a Tele body once. Similar idea to yours but that particular lime wash was too cloudy and not transparent enough. It obscured the grain below and just looked a bit yucky. That was using the wash neat. Maybe it could work better thinned out a bit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rabbitz
09-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks Andrew.

Dropped into a hardware on the way home. It seems FW don't want you to thin it.

I suppose what ever the clean up medium is would be the thinner...

I wonder if there is a real water based lime wash anywhere to be found (Probably banned years ago!!!). Might have to go old school, get some oyster shells, build a lime kiln and make my own. ;)

Rabbitz
09-09-2015, 03:35 PM
So I did some searching.

Lime wash is slaked lime and water. Sounds almost too easy.

One site had this "tip":

For a more subtle effect, use lime paste. Dampen the wood first and brush lightly with a wire brush. Rub the paste in and allow it to dry. Rub the excess off and apply a coat of matte polyurethane/varnish.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_6670364_whitewash-floorboards.html

Might be worth an experiment.

Where can I get some basswood? I can find ply but not lumber.

stan
09-09-2015, 04:54 PM
nice idea, interested to see the results

pablopepper
10-09-2015, 06:31 AM
Mr Ormsby just posted tips on how he does transparent white finish. I'm just going to copy dump it here

David's white wash over maple.

How to do it? Easy.

1. Stain your maple black.

2. Sand it back so the grain is highlighted. 400 grit works well. You want the curls or figure to be black and clean maple. Photo below.

3. Clear coats or sealer to seal it. Make sure the finish is flat.

4. Add a very small amount of white paint in with your next coat of clear. I mixed white with 'intercoat clear' by House of Kolor. Regular clear works too.
The 'white clear' needs to be mixed so it's very translucent. In the mixing cup it will just appear to be white. I used three thin coats to achieve this depth. Use scrap to test as you spray!

6. Regular clear.

7. Buff!

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/s851x315/12002173_10155935039240618_5325981485102508529_n.j pg?oh=71f7ef928834a69d403a2509312de507&oe=5665DCC7

Alternative?

Rabbitz
10-09-2015, 06:52 AM
Ahhhhh. Never thought of doing a milky "clear coat".

Thanks Pabs.

stan
10-09-2015, 11:51 AM
awesome Pabs, thanks

Rabbitz
05-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Today I dropped into a paint place to pick up some bibs and bobs, and to ask about my current incarnation of this plan.

Now, as a professional writer I pride myself on my ability to explain complex subject matter. My pride took an enormous hit.

I couldn't adequately explain my idea to the paint gurus.

So I bid them "fair winds and following seas" and moved on to the next stop on my long weekend shopping odyssey. I had to get some gardening things from a big green shed.

While on the premises I happened to wander through the paint and finish section and had a peruse of the lime wash/varnish/poly/stain shelves.

A man dressed in red and green (I think he may have been one of Santa's Elves, one of the elves who paint the toys) who seemed quite knowledgeable was able to grasp my concept and translate that into small metal tins that went into my gardening supplies trolley. I think his knowledge must have come from his time painting toys for Santa).

So now I just need the weather to co-operate and to give me some time under 35°C in the shed to take care of the sanding tasks...

For the record, I ended up with:
1 x British Paints Water Based Walnut Stain (Grain Pop)
1 x F&W Liming White Stain & Varnish (Milky Coat)
1 x Cabots Cabothane Clear - Water Based (Clear Coats)

Even in small tins it cost almost as much as the kit!! How we must suffer for our art. :)

wokkaboy
05-10-2015, 01:07 PM
good stuff Rabbitz well you should have enough supplies to do several axes with the lime wash

Rabbitz
05-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Have to see if it works first :)

wokkaboy
05-10-2015, 01:28 PM
just try it out on scrap first

dingobass
05-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Plenty of scrap in the naughty warehouse, and for admitting you went to the BGSFOS you will also have plenty of time to experiment...
Woks, pour Rabz a beer please mate :)

wokkaboy
05-10-2015, 04:13 PM
haha no worries DB, I seem to be pouring more beer than I am consuming so think it's time we employed a barman so I can consume and build more !

Rabbitz
05-10-2015, 05:00 PM
But I didn't go there to get the finishes, it was for ummmmmmmmmmmm, oh yeah, gardening things.

Thanks Woks, I better get used to it.

wokkaboy
05-10-2015, 05:08 PM
haha don't worry Rabbitz its a pretty cool naughty warehouse - get to drink beer, eat pizza and build guitars all day !
nice rehabilitation I reckon haha

Rabbitz
05-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Well in all honesty, I just had my fill of pizza, fired up my brand new wood fired pizza oven tonight.

So I guess I'm on naughty warehouse pizza duties?

wokkaboy
05-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Hey Rabbitz nice one, can you please post a pic of your new pizza oven ? Did you build it from a kit ?
If you are volunteering for pizza duties in the NW I'm sure we can use help !