PDA

View Full Version : ES1 Mod Asistance

vh2580
08-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Picked up an ES3 at Anniversary Sale because it was mahogany body and didn't have f holes and will finish nicely.

As the back is solid as well, and I am not Dynamo, am going to have to cut a hole in the back for wiring installation.

Will make the wiring easier and can cover with a LP style control plate (for aesthetics).
My only concern is will cutting into the back of the guitar create any structural issues that would be different from the F holes normally in the front ?

wokkaboy
08-09-2015, 04:29 PM
wow that's a tough question Tony as no one has tackled an ES-1 with no F holes. Should be ok if you cut the hole in the back carefully. As the timber is quite thin you might need the control plate to sit ontop rather than recessing it doubt the timber is thick enough to do that.

Did the kit come with a trapeze bridge is there's only 2 bridge post holes ?

Funny thing when I got my ES kit for the first time I was quite inexperienced at the time and thought I had to cut a hole in the back to access the electronics I sent DB and Ads asking how to do it hahah

pablopepper
08-09-2015, 04:44 PM
I don't see how it would be any different from holes in the front. Maybe keep it as small as possible to be on the safe side.

stan
08-09-2015, 05:01 PM
if you line the hole's edges from the inside and behind with a thin veneer that overhangs into the hole, this will give a back plate something to rest on and then can sit flush.

put rare earth magnets into the edges and back plate and it will stay, sit flush and have no screws etc. Be careful and reuse the bit you cut out and it could look pretty slick

the only issue will be if the back is really thin and flexes with a hole cut out. but i think if you do it the way i suggested, the glued on edges should give it stability