PDA

View Full Version : Question about intonation

Tonyewen
07-09-2015, 07:33 PM
So I've been working on my new bass, it's an ESB with the tune-o-matic bridge.

Now what I see in photos of Gibson ESBs is that the tuning saddles basically form an even-ish line at an angle to the line of the bridge. E being longest to G being shortest.

I've been working through getting mine set up, per the video on the site and a couple of books, but my bridge looks nothing like the photos.

Now with this kit there is a noticable angle to the bridge. It's not square to the body. Can't help that as the holes are all pre-drilled. That factors some of my difference.

The shape I have is best described with a photo:

You can see the bridge angle in the photo, though its a bit exagerated by the camera.

So then, if Garageband (the most sensitive tuner I have) thinks this is right - is it, or do I need to do it again? It sounds fine - just doesn't look right to me.

dingobass
07-09-2015, 07:37 PM
If it sounds right then thats good.

Every instrument will look different at the bridge, its just one of those things....

Tindrrel
07-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Checking the tuning, if each string is in tune when open, and in tune when you play the 12th fret harmonic (gently touch the string over the fret without pressing it down and pluck) then the intonation is good. If it's still in tune fretting the 12th fret - even better.

The saddle alignment to achieve this will depend on the angle of the bridge, the gauge of the string, etc. You won't get it by how it looks, but by listening/tuning.

Gavin1393
07-09-2015, 10:27 PM
did you read through this thread?
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2303

pablopepper
08-09-2015, 05:59 AM
@Tindrrel, actually the 12th harmonic will be intonated no matter what you do, this is because the natural harmonic is the exact centre of the string, the position of the frets underneath make no difference. The fretted 12th note is what you need to concentrate on.

Tindrrel
08-09-2015, 09:57 AM
@Tindrrel, actually the 12th harmonic will be intonated no matter what you do, this is because the natural harmonic is the exact centre of the string, the position of the frets underneath make no difference. The fretted 12th note is what you need to concentrate on.

Quite right. Was much too tired when I wrote that, clearly. It's comparing the harmonic to the fretted note that I meant.

Tonyewen
08-09-2015, 03:10 PM
did you read through this thread?
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2303

Yep. And the video. I even bought a book on it :)

Tonyewen
08-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks all. I guess looks can be deceiving lol.

DrNomis_44
14-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Try using a good electronic tuner with a good battery in it to double-check the intonation adjustments.