PDA

View Full Version : Router advice

crundes
06-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Looking at getting a router soon. just wondering if anyone could offer any recommendations as to brands/models etc. Anything in particular that I need to look out for, or must have for guitar building?

I'm looking at a second hand GMC router and router table for $110, which seems an ok price. The router has pretty good reviews for an intermediate woodworker. Obviously a pretty cheap brand so thought it would be good to get some advice before I get anything.

Cheers! :-)

jarrod
06-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Hey Crundes,
That's a good price. At the end of the day the brand only dictates how long it's going to last, they all make a router bit go around and around. Providing the bearings feel smooth and there is no play in it then I say for that price go for it...

crundes
07-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Cheers for the advice Jarrod. It still has a 1 year warranty as well so that's always a plus. At that price it also leaves more money for quality router bits too.

wokkaboy
07-09-2015, 03:44 PM
hey Tim sounds like a good price for a router and table. I have a few GMC tools and they aren't too bad, if it's got 1 year warranty left then if it's going to break down will probably happen in the next 12 months depending how old it is and how much use it's had.
Can't remember the model but on my 1200 watt GMC router the locking pin has worn out and doesn't stop the shaft spinning when you tighten the collet. It had plenty of use.
Learn really fast to have highest respect for routers they are a dangerous power tool

zeromick
07-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Are you going to be routing bodies with it or just doing binding/inlays ect?

I got a Makita RP1800 http://www.makita.com.au/products/power-tools/planers-trimmers-a-routers/routers/rp1800-12mm-12-plunge-router

I had another cheaper brand before and it didnt last past the first afternoon routing out some control cavities before the motor burnt out.

wokkaboy
07-09-2015, 04:28 PM
yeah DB has a smaller Makita router and he loves it. Makita and Ryobi are a better quality router.
Check if the router has a half inch or quarter inch chuck. the 1/4 inch bits should be cheaper than half inch bits

crundes
07-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Wokka: Thanks for the info. Apparently it hasn't been used for more than a day. You never know how true these claims are though. Looks to be in good condition though. And yes I'll definitely have the highest respect for the danger a router poses with all these stories of bits flying out of collets etc! The router has a 1/2" chuck but comes with a 1/4" collet.

Zeromick: Planning on eventually using it for body routing when I build up the courage to start a scratchie. In the meantime though I'll use it to enlarge the bridge cavity of my tele and binding for future builds. Do you think this will be powerful enough for body routs?

pablopepper
07-09-2015, 06:53 PM
That sounds like a bargain. The router table will be very useful.