PDA

View Full Version : October 2015 Guitar of the Month

adam
01-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Enter your finished guitar here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars October 2015 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

One guitar per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)

We need 4 photos:

full guitar shot from the front;
close up of the body finish;
shot of the back of the guitar; and
close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to adam (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible.

Competition for October closes 30 September 2015.

Winner will be judged by the Pit Bull Guitars Judging Panel, including the winner of the September GOTM.

Island_Moose
13-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Well, it' been a long and (at times) difficult journey, but I have completed the first guitar I have ever built!;) It is an FS-1 kit, which I fell in love with the first time I saw the collection of parts.

My guitar is stock except for the following:

- Moonflower pickups
- Gold plated knobs
- Gold plated string retainers
- Custom spacer for trapeze bridge mount

Still to do:

- Bone nut **Done 26/9/15

My guitar is hand-finished, all paint was applied by brush, and the overall finish is french polished. There are 73 applications of lacquer on the guitar, which took 6 weeks.
The frets were leveled, dressed and polished, the intonation is spot-on.

It is a wonderful-playing guitar, with wonderful acoustic tones from the neck pickup and the ability to really shout when driven.

I am very happy with the outcome. The photos below all link to larger versions.

https://goo.gl/photos/MGq7dMWVXndgJX7g6

https://goo.gl/photos/cbckm7vByZFqHGE79

https://goo.gl/photos/e75d3BbcVKciPpeu8

https://goo.gl/photos/YsdMJTPgP92BaUH28

https://goo.gl/photos/zZyPhsDy2esd39bAA

https://goo.gl/photos/CGdHmbDT6dfpSGh96

https://goo.gl/photos/pvLPSV9RsEuHNK4T6

https://goo.gl/photos/GzS5skseNSNgfond8

wokkaboy
13-09-2015, 09:51 AM
awesome build Moose, well done persisting with all those coats ! The final product is stunning. You must be really proud of this build. Any chance of a sound demo ? It will take a really special build to beat this !

jarrod
13-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Wow what a start. Very nice moose.

vh2580
13-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Moose, stunning guitar. Love the finish and head stock.

Gavin1393
13-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Really glad to see that you have entered this guitar. She's a beauty.

robin
13-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Wow Moose, that is outstanding. Such a beautifull and beautifully finished guitar.

Well done mate.

Arzi
13-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Very beautiful guitar Moose! All goes together with this one.

Island_Moose
13-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks all. I will try to record a sound demo. I have a modelling amp that will do that back to my laptop.

andrewdosborne
13-09-2015, 06:06 PM
Hey Moose, awesome guitar all that patience has paid off, what a finish! Well done.

keloooe
13-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Holy damn Moose what a way to set the bar on what is going to be competitive after last month's efforts!! I'd be real chuffed if I was the owner of that guitar, it's absolutely beautiful!

Nickosaurus
13-09-2015, 08:54 PM
One of my favourite builds on PBG hands down. Such a beautiful build.

Island_Moose
14-09-2015, 01:28 AM
One of my favourite builds on PBG hands down. Such a beautiful build.

Jeez...thanks all.

Fretworn
14-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Great job IM. you might just scare everyone else off entering...

Ben1902
14-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Had hope to get my Guitar in this month but after seeing the competition may hold off. Looks amazing

wokkaboy
14-09-2015, 02:06 PM
come on Ben, enter it regardless. Next month probably won't be much easier to win !
It's just a fun competition anyway.

Swinging Beef
14-09-2015, 02:12 PM
is that the standard top on that model? or a special request?

wokkaboy
14-09-2015, 02:15 PM
yes Beef the FS-1G comes with a flame maple cap

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-fs-1g-electric-guitar-kit/

Island_Moose
14-09-2015, 02:30 PM
The flame grain effect came from 12 coats of amber shellac, with another 50 clear on top. It became more pronounced as I went on. I think I got very lucky with this cap, it is really flawless.

wokkaboy
14-09-2015, 02:33 PM
50 clear coats wow Moose you must have alot of spare time !

Did you pop the grain before the shellac Moose like rub back a darker stain ?

Ben1902
14-09-2015, 04:11 PM
come on Ben, enter it regardless. Next month probably won't be much easier to win !
It's just a fun competition anyway.

If i can get it finished I will upload definitely next month if not

Island_Moose
14-09-2015, 05:26 PM
No, the amber shellac produced the colour. Then I switched to clear. With the French polishing I imagine my 73 coats amounts to less than 1/2 mm.

Tonyewen
14-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Brilliant job Moose :)

sulistbu
20-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Brilliant, well done Moose.

Tweaky
23-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Lovely build, the sort of build that inspires people.
You can see the attention to detail that differentiates the merely good, from a great guitar.
Hope I can achieve similar results

kenfu
24-09-2015, 02:10 AM
Wow. Just amazing. You know when you go to the guitar shop, and they have a ton hanging around, and then they have the special humidor VIP room with the true beauties... This one would be in there.

Island_Moose
24-09-2015, 03:59 AM
Thanks guys, I see the faults, like anything you produce yourself...but I am really chuffed by your comments. I actually thought I was going insane when I found myself applying gold leaf to the 3-way switch knob. ;)

adam
25-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Hey Island Moose, I think you've scared the other builders off with that impressive FS-1 build. 5 days to go...

Island_Moose
25-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Not by intent. I look at what the other guys out there are doing and I'm amazed. I looked at the GOTM contest as being its own finish line, finally got there.
I just hope more people order the FS-1 kits, they are gorgeous, that grain was there the whole time, just needed to be released.

Gavin1393
25-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Fender Thinline Entry because I know how much Adam loves a tele.
There has been a fair amount of additional work go into this baby. Apart from the typical sanding and such I thickened the 'f' hole by adding a 3mm depth to the existing hole. This allows the body to look thicker and appear more like the real McCoy...err F-Style.
I have upgraded the tuners and the bridge with gold bling, knobs and pickguard which was made from scratch using a template that i learned how to make from our forum!
Have intonated this as you'd expect and positioned my logo on the headstock (logo courtesy of Andyport).
I was determined to put TV Jones pickups in this guitar but was unable to source gold ones from my second favourite guitar shop on the planet. So chrome ones have been used as the sound was paramount.
The tuners are Wilkinson and i have used two trees on the strings which I picked up at Realtone.
To complete this baby the switch is a four way. So we have bridge, bridge and neck, neck and finally va-va-voom which is the neck and bridge in series.

Gavin1393
25-09-2015, 05:47 PM
This is the final shot of the guitar showing the string through ferrules on the back of the guitar and giving an idea of what the back looks like complete with gold neck plate.

pablopepper
25-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Dead sexy, Gavin.

jarrod
25-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Now theres some competition Gav

keloooe
25-09-2015, 09:30 PM
There's been a good amount of time from when this build started.... Awesome work Gav!

And when I thought everyone was all scared off from the comp....

wokkaboy
25-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Awesome entry Gav good to see you enter after all this time. Good luck keeping it away from the telenapper

Island_Moose
26-09-2015, 03:13 AM
See what I mean? That is gorgeous!

Gavin1393
26-09-2015, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. A guitar as good as Mooses needs at least one other guitar to compete against otherwise it would make the job too easy for the judges!

adam
26-09-2015, 07:12 AM
Mmmm tasty.

dave.king1
26-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Very nice Gav, I have a soft spot for Teles

wokkaboy
26-09-2015, 11:50 AM
So I take it Gav you won't be judging this month ?
Better keep it well clear of the tele napper !

Fretworn
26-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Nice one Gavmeister

dingobass
26-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Day-yam.....
Two trouser fails in five minutes........
Did I mention I hate you guys? :p

Gavin1393
26-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Day-yam.....
Two trouser fails in five minutes........
Did I mention I hate you guys? :p
Would you have preferred........

This is my PBG entry for GOTM. Unfortunately I lost the body of the guitar when the neighbours dog ran off with it. I guess I should not have skimped on the Uluru Red by dabbing the body with a raw steak... I have done my best to shape the tele body with a piece of wood I found on the side of the road. Not sure of the tonal qualities of chip board.
Unfortunately in my attempt to stop the dog running off with my stuff I grabbed the nearest items within my reach and hurled these at the dog, missing by a mile and sliding into the nearest drain at the end of the road. Needless to say, ever since I cannot find the pickups, jack, knobs, wiring or capacitors for my guitar. Do you think these could have been in the packet I threw at the dog?

I realise I had to post a picture of the guitar, the headstock and the back of the guitar. Unfortunately I had an issue with the neck as can be seen from the pictures. I wanted to replace the plastic nut with a bone nut 'bone for tone' and reading an excellent article by DB on the forum I proceeded to use my electric saw to remove the plastic nut (I didn't have the Japanese saw DB uses but you make do with what you have.) I think I may have cut too deep and might have weakened the neck somewhat that it snapped in two when I took the second picture.

Photographing the back of the guitar also presented me with a new problem. The reason the chipboard was thrown out - termites!!!

I'm really disappointed but hope you can make my day by voting my effort as GOTM.

dingobass
26-09-2015, 06:46 PM
You are such a dag, Gav :)

jarrod
26-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Mmmm no head stock decal and the intonation looks out otherwise it could be a winner

wokkaboy
27-09-2015, 12:40 AM
I agree with DB. You are a dag Gav.
Jrod think you are onto something

bullatagate
27-09-2015, 06:24 AM
so: enter your others.. you won't come last!

very little care used here.... due to inherent impatience and lack of confidence in outcome

built in 2 nights, leaving aside some days for drying of danish oil

3 coats of purple fountain pen ink from daughter
3 coats of danish oil from garage

parts aged from chrome by either 'polishing' with scrubber from under sink, or getting daughter to colour in with texta
special unique in between pickups sound from dodgy soldering....

remarkably.... plays great and sounds good ....

EXTRA bonus! ... my bandmates keep their distance on stage, leaving spotlight to me...

Seriously: I was astonished how much fun building this was, and how well it turned out. Also, every time I had any question in my mind, I searched the forum and found an answer.

jarrod
27-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Say loud say proud. Looks fantastic

keloooe
30-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Hey Gav, where's the truss rod cover? Come on, you don't want to lose THIS one too?! :D

wokkaboy
30-09-2015, 12:06 PM
@ Bullatagate, if you didn't rush the build so much you could have improved the build quality in a few areas. Purple stain looks pretty cool. Would also improve your chances of getting better marks if the photos were of the completed build ! Glad you enjoyed the 2 day build is almost a record on the forum.
@ Gavmiester I agree with Pesty where is the truss rod cover mate ?

stan
30-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Moose - that is awesome, such an quality build. The headstock looks great. The details are excellent
Gav - such a nice Tele, classic, cool, as always a pro quality build
Bully - you have done a great job as a first time builder, that purple is stand out for sure, better still your daughter helped and that is a bonus for sure

top work guys

infxualbydesign
30-09-2015, 09:58 PM
very sweet. i love the star caster shape. The finish does look very nice, has that lovingly built by hand sheen to.

Gavin1393
30-09-2015, 11:11 PM
@ Gavmiester I agree with Pesty where is the truss rod cover mate ?

Hey Gav, where's the truss rod cover? Come on, you don't want to lose THIS one too?! :D

So glad you two aren't judging this comp :p Everyone knows a Tele doesn't have a Truss Rod cover! Hey! can you confirm if Freo Dockers, North Melborne are playing this weekend? Yes, I mean AFL...

Thanks for the kind words from EVERYONE else though! This was lovingly created and is being greatly enjoyed, have acquired a GoPro which when I figure out how to use it I'll attempt a few vids. :))

keloooe
01-10-2015, 08:16 AM
have acquired a GoPro which when I figure out how to use it I'll attempt a few vids. :))

Ah so following on from the best hey Gav? :)

keloooe
01-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Hey! can you confirm if Freo Dockers, North Melborne are playing this weekend? Yes, I mean AFL...

Yeah unfortunately it's going to be a Freo / Roos GF, the prelims were just a hoax!

wokkaboy
01-10-2015, 06:36 PM
ahha that's it Pest, what Gav has seen on TV is a massive hoax and the grand final will be against Roos and he Dockers !

keloooe
01-10-2015, 07:07 PM
ahha that's it Pest, what Gav has seen on TV is a massive hoax and the grand final will be against Roos and he Dockers !

Yeah but if you win that will count as a hoax too!

wokkaboy
01-10-2015, 07:17 PM
HAHA sorry Pest. We will need the Delorian from Back to the Future to make this happen anyway, you seen one on ebay with an operating flux capacitor ?

Gavin1393
01-10-2015, 07:53 PM
HAHA sorry Pest. We will need the Delorian from Back to the Future to make this happen anyway, you seen one on ebay with an operating flux capacitor ?

I have often thought about the Delorian and a certain truss rod cover....

wokkaboy
01-10-2015, 09:34 PM
You will need to get the keys to the Delorian Gav off me or Pest!

BenWA
02-10-2015, 08:39 AM
that tele oh my days...

Gavin1393
02-10-2015, 10:44 AM
that tele oh my days...
Looks like I'm going to have to beef up my security systems... :)

adam
02-10-2015, 01:59 PM
So, just the 3 entries this month? I'll get the judges on task tonight and hopefully have a result within a few days.

wokkaboy
02-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Ads I think Moose scared everyone off with his Starcaster entry

adam
05-10-2015, 04:54 PM
And the results are in...

Judges comments in submission order:

Island_Moose's FS-1G

"For a first build this is a beautiful guitar. The finish and attention to detail is second to none. your patience to put 73 coats on shows your dedication to nailing the finish. Well done Moose this is a guitar I'd make a bee line to in a shop."

"Beautiful. 73 coats such patience and pride of workmanship. Headstock looks great."

"Wow Moose, I absolutely love your build, simple, elegant, the 73 coats really did pay off! I'd walk away with that axe! I tried to find the smallest imperfection, but I couldn't really find anything that would lose even half a point! Awesome work scaring the others off!"

"I have no feedback other than it is just stunning."

Gavmeister's TL-1TH

"Good to see Gav entering a guitar after being a judge for so long. Very nice looking tele with some nice mods and touches. You sure the bridge is intonated Gav ? Looks like the heavy E string is closer to the nut than the A string. I understand your choice of pups but think gold pups would have finished off the look. I had to take off small marks for a couple of photos being out of focus on one corner. If you put a real mother of pearl logo on the headstock you would have scored more points."

"Looks great, nice colour well built, but no truss rod cover."

"It has been a while since I last saw images of this Gav and it's a ripper of an axe! Nice bling hardware, really suits the finish! Sadly, I will take off some points for the chrome pickups, even though I know you tried to source some gold ones. Also taking a bit off for not intonating the bridge and lastly you forgot the truss rod cover!"

"Gav you have a great eye for colour combinations and this Thinline is an awesome example. Great colour, great finish quality, string through is a nice touch too. Just a solid, high quality build."

Bullatagate's LP-1

"Not a bad effort for a first build I like the colour, but I think you could have done a much better job if you took your time. The stain on the back of the body isn't consistent and looks like there are still glue marks visible. You really need to post pictures of the finished build, not half finished photo's. The judges favour having your own logo on the headstock to show you built it and you are proud of it. Also 2 of the photos are out of focus. If you build another kit take your time and I'm sure you can really build a quality guitar."

"Well what do you say, the bits that are built look ok but how can you give a score to an unfinished guitar."

"The colour on the body is really cool, but it seems way too rushed and it looks to be a half-done job. The pictures do look mostly unfinished, would be awesome to see the final axe in more detail. If you had taken a little more time to finish it, I'm sure your bandmates would give you more than "a few" metres of space! I can't wait to see what your next build will be!"

"Your name certainly reflects your building style - straight in and getting it done. I dig the gig guitar vibes and that pink will put a spotlight on stage for sure. Cool to see you getting your kid involved with the build too."

And the Winner is

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5209&d=1442107783

Island_Moose's FS-1G

Congratulations and well done! I think this one blew everyone (myself included) away.

wokkaboy
05-10-2015, 04:57 PM
congratulations Moose, think you may have scored possibly the highest average score from the judges.
Bad luck Gav you gave Moose a run for his money but lost some small marks

Island_Moose
05-10-2015, 06:08 PM
I want to thank the judges...my parents...the good Lord...and the humble maple tree.

Thanks everyone, I really can't overstate the quality of the timber used in my kit, and the overall grace of that model in particular. The construction was therapeutic for me, so perhaps the insane level of detail was, in fact, me not wanting it to be over...

Then there was a sale and I bought a new one!!! Roll on good times!!!!

Thanks again everyone.

keloooe
05-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Congrats John, I'd say it is my favourite forum build ever on my time here, and especially for a first build! So if that is the new standard.... I have no idea what is in store for the future...

andrewdosborne
05-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Well done Moose, well deserved win with an awesome build! All that effort paid off. Gav - top notch Tele would love to get my mits on it and give it a twang! Bullatagate - my daughter is a big fan of the colour you achieved. She has moved some texters into my workshop.....

Arzi
05-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Well done Moose! Amazing work and I think we all can agree on the therapeutic part - at least most of the time... ;)

stan
06-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Some great entries, Gav never fails to build like a pro, Bully good try for a first and Moose , a well deserved win with an awesome axe

Fretworn
06-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Congrats Island Moose!

Gavin1393
06-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Well done Moose. A much sweeter win since there was some competition even if the Judges had to point out a serious flaw in the Tele kits I have bought. I need to remember to speak to the factory about these curved truss rod covers they have been omitting to include in the Tele kits!!!!!

vh2580
06-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Great entries this month and well done Moose that is a stunner of a guitar.

adam
06-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Hey Gav, I feels ya pain man. I couldn't tell if the judges were all just having a go at you or they genuinely didn't realise Teles don't have truss rod covers.

Gavin1393
06-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Hey Gav, I feels ya pain man. I couldn't tell if the judges were all just having a go at you or they genuinely didn't realise Teles don't have truss rod covers.

Neanderthals!!!....but I do think they may have been taking the pi$$.....?

keloooe
06-10-2015, 06:53 PM
The judges just love to bring up previous GOTM results haha!

I doubt you would have had any actual marks taken off for it

wokkaboy
06-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Gav it was just taking the mickey mate, if a judge didn't know a tele doesn't have a truss rod cover then I think Ads would kick you off the forum

Gavin1393
06-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Gav it was just taking the mickey mate, if a judge didn't know a tele doesn't have a truss rod cover then I think Ads would kick you off the forum

The judges just love to bring up previous GOTM results haha!

I doubt you would have had any actual marks taken off for it

It's going to be sad to see you boys leaving after reaching the pinnacle of your careers on PBG...was nice knowing you! :P

Brendan
06-10-2015, 07:16 PM
What - Gav you mean your Tele doesn't have a truss rod cover? Mine came with one...

Gavin1393
06-10-2015, 07:17 PM
What - Gav you mean your Tele doesn't have a truss rod cover? Mine came with one...

It's a conspiracy - I tell you! :)

keloooe
06-10-2015, 07:18 PM
It's going to be sad to see you boys leaving after reaching the pinnacle of your careers on PBG...was nice knowing you! :P

Pfft I am nowhere near my pinnacle Gav!

keloooe
06-10-2015, 07:18 PM

The Frankenpester came with one too!

jarrod
06-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Gav I have one here for you. It's made for a Nebular but you could curve it For a Tele. Not sure the binding matches though.

Ejay
13-10-2015, 10:37 AM
First Attempt at a Kit Guitar Be gentle
It is the IB 5. All stock parts. I started by sanding it ( as you do) then spray painted it Black. Then rubbed it back again leaving some of the grain with the black paint in it. after that, Natural stain, with slightly tinted shellac ( about 12 layers ), French polished every 3 to 4 layers with 0000 Steel wool ( Its meant to look old ) 58605861586258635864

andrewdosborne
13-10-2015, 10:57 AM
It's a conspiracy - I tell you! :)
LOL, from memory I think someone also mentioned my last GOTM Tele was missing the truss rod cover! (the Ash/goldfish colour one)

wokkaboy
13-10-2015, 11:12 AM
sweet looking build Ejay, you need to enter it into November GOTM as it is judged start of the month.
One of the moderators may be able to do that

andrewdosborne
13-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Looks great Ejay. Black and brown looks very classy and nice grain.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk