PDA

View Full Version : New TL-1 Build - String Through Question

nDR01d
31-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Hello peoples,
So today my TL-1 came, and I am considering making it a string through. Is this process easy, when is the right time to do it (ie: before painting/after painting) and is it just a case of lining up where the bridge will go and drill front to back, then drill back to front for the ferules countersinking (hope that's the right word)? Or is it something completely different?
Thanks.

Fretworn
01-09-2015, 11:08 AM
I would suggest measuring and drilling everything before the finish. Do you have access to a drill press large enough the reach across the body?

wokkaboy
01-09-2015, 11:28 AM
Hey Ndroid, be worth buying a string through bridge. Do all the drilling before you start the finish.
As Fretty has said a drill press will make the job easier and more accurate.
I usually drill say a 2 or 2.5mm drill all the way though is usally big enough for the E string.
Then work out the ferrule diameter and only drill in the back as deep as the ferrule so it seats nicely

nDR01d
01-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys. Yep, I own a drill press. I did buy a string through bridge with 3 copper saddles for $10 on ebay. Cha ching. So I'll sand and seal before I drill. By time I'm finished doing that, the bridge from ebay should have arrived. Then away I go!

wokkaboy
01-09-2015, 11:52 AM
sounds good NDroid. Check the clearance of your drill press to make sure you will have the reach from the post to the drill centre.
Sounds like a plan you have.

Brendan
01-09-2015, 08:36 PM
From memory someone has done a stringthrough how to on the forum. Don't quote me, but using the press, drill pilot holes for the outside two "E" strings all the way through the body using the bridge as a guide. Drill half way through for the rest. Turn the body over and using the two outside pilot holes and the bridge, drill the other half way for the remaining strings. That way you should have ferrules that line up nicely on the back of the guitar. It seems that otherwise you generally get a little drift and one or more of the holes don't quite line up...
Worth a google to see if what I've rememberred is correct.

Gavin1393
02-09-2015, 08:00 AM
You simply MUST use brad point drills and a wide mouthed drill press otherwise you are likely to be VERY disappointed with the results.
The smaller drill presses from the major stores do not have a wide enough mouth and when thats the only thing standing between you and playing your freshly build guitar the thought will go into your head as you reach for your hand drill "How difficult could it be really?"

Exact thing happened to a very good friend of mine, and if any of you good friend dob me in that'll ruin the friendship!! :)

Island_Moose
02-09-2015, 08:03 AM
I've got a very simple drill-press attachment for my hand drill that would work, you can buy them very cheaply just about anywhere. Keeps the drill bit square on all planes.

pablopepper
02-09-2015, 08:16 AM
One like this, Moose?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FFVQ2P9wL.jpg

I've got a few of these, I wouldn't use them for string throughs, too much play in them. I mean, they'll do the job, but I would be very surprised if the holes on the other side lined up correctly.

Island_Moose
02-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Yeah, mine's a bit like that, but mine have metal bushings that slide up and down the shafts, it's pretty tight, but I suppose it does introduce some risk that something will move.

nDR01d
09-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks heaps guys. Looks like I may have dodged a bullet there. My drill press isn't a wide mouth. And although I have seen at certain hardware stores the Dremel/drill converter, I'm still not convinced it will do a perfect job on my guitar. I make enough mistakes without the machines helping me :p

wokkaboy
09-09-2015, 04:03 PM
nDroid if you mean the string through holes use a small drill bit as the pilot hole and drill all the way through the body. Then if need be you can fix the alignment of the back by drilling the ferule holes a bit off centre and using a 2 or 2.5mm drill to make sure there's a path through the body for the strings.
Don't drill the full size of the ferules till you receive them and I do a test drill in scrap wood. You would be amazed at how loose a hole 0.5mm too big makes

dingobass
15-09-2015, 06:44 PM
What you can do is make a drill jig..

Grab a block of hardwood and drill the holes as described by Brendan, then clamp this to the body and again, using the tips given by the Bman you can drill the holes with a hand drill :)

nDR01d
19-09-2015, 03:27 PM
I really appreciate all this input from you guys - and I've had another thought. What about a plunge router to drill the holes? Would this give enough stability?

BenWA
02-10-2015, 08:32 AM
i managed to do it with a very steady hand and a normal drill without any going too skewed

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4293

i only drilled to 2mm so far, ill make sure the holes are lined up properly when i enlarge them on the back for the ferrules

nDR01d
03-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Yeah thanks Ben. I have read your post. ATM I have STA-1M electronics issues, so this baby has gone on the back burner (so to speak) for a little while. I do like the idea of a hand made jig like so I might look at that in the future. Let me know when you enlarge the holes and post some pics too please =D