PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean if...

nDR01d
31-08-2015, 12:59 PM
On the maple neck I have clear stained as per instructions, the finish is a little tacky. It's dry, but it just doesn't feel right. Has it been too cold when I've coated it? Has it been too cold drying? These are the only things I can think of and so I placed the neck out in the warm-ish sun I get in the Darling Downs at this time of year. If I keep doing this, will the tackiness go away? Thanks for your help.

johnno
31-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Hi nDR01d. I live in toowoomba to so i know what you mean about the cold. It's likely caused by moisture or sap still in the maple before you applied the finish. The only way i know how to fix it is to remove as much finish as you can ether with turps or thinner (for oil based finishes) or metho for water based finishes). you may need some steel wool as well. I a house painter and have come across this from time to time on new timber. happy to have a look if you want and we live close. John

wokkaboy
31-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Hi Ndroid,
presume this is Dingotone clear neck kit you are using ?
Give it a couple more days curing then give it a fine steel wool and apply a light coat and don't overwork the rag. Shake bottle well before pouring a bit into a container and replace the bottle cap straight away.
Takes a bit of practice using Dingotone.
Cold weather in Queensland, what do you call cold ?
I wouldn't use any metho or turps. Try and use a rag with water to wipe off any steel wool shavings

nDR01d
31-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Hey Wokka,
yep, Dingotone Clear Neck. It does look really nice, so I'm happy to keep practising with the stuff. And yeah, it has been cold over here. I've been wearing long pants for about 2 weeks now. And once it even dropped below 15 during the day. Brrrr. :p

wokkaboy
31-08-2015, 04:34 PM
just hang in there Ndroid. Spring starts tomorrow so lets hope we all get some nice warm spring weather

Fretworn
01-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Give it time. It can feel a little tacky for a while, but it will harden. Patience is vital.