PDA

View Full Version : Question about the colour

Ben1902
25-08-2015, 07:16 PM
I bought the Nullarbor Ochre and have just stained my TLA-1. Its currently looking like Jarrah in colour which is not what i expected due to the picture. i used timbermate so i don't know if that effects it. I love the colour that is has gone just wanted to know if that was the colour it should have.

Gavin1393
25-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Ben, please can you post a picture or two....that way DB and some others who may have used it can possibly see what has happened to it?
How many coats of the Nullarbor Ochre have you applied?

wokkaboy
25-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Hi Ben. Please post some pics. Mine turned out a clay soil Brown. Did you shake the bottle well before applying? It's also important not to apply thick coats and don't over work the rag. Try and apply one pass. Also let it cure a few days you may find the colour changes as the oils cure

Ben1902
26-08-2015, 06:12 AM

Here are some pics

gavinturner
26-08-2015, 06:56 AM
Wow. That looks spectacular.

cheers,
Gav.

Ben1902
26-08-2015, 06:58 AM
Wow. That looks spectacular.

cheers,
Gav.

Yeah im not mad about the colour at all just wanted to know if it should be :P first time doing all this so i want to make sure im doing it right.

andrewdosborne
26-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Hello Ben, not sure what it's meant to look like but I like it! The wood itself will also contribute to the look of the final colour and as I've discovered needs to be factored into things...

wokkaboy
26-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Hi Ben, a bit hard to see the true colour in the photos are a bit dark. As others have said the grain filling and ash body may give you a different result. I applied mine on basswood and got a richer brown.
Keep applying more coats, steel wool in between and give it at least 3 days curing between coats.
Are you using the stain coat ? Intensifying coat is for after you got enough colour from the stain coats

Ben1902
26-08-2015, 09:09 AM
using stain coat will try and steel wool it in a couple of days and go again. love the colour its gone just not what i expected

Fretworn
26-08-2015, 11:46 AM
The picture on the website is my bass which had one base coat and one intensifying coat only. I remember Wokka at the time saying that it had been a lot darker when he used it with more coats. It also will darken over time. I think it was probably a month until the colour had fully intensified on my bass.

Are you able to take a photo in full sunlight so we can see the colour better.