PDA

View Full Version : Tim Gaze - Interview

Rabbitz
25-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Tim is, by far, the most inspirational guitarist I have ever worked for.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2015/08/21/4298010.htm

I worked with him in The Buswackers.

Amazing guitarist and a terrifically top bloke to boot.

BTW Tim is the guy in the Blue T-Shirt with the Maton.

Enjoy.

wokkaboy
25-08-2015, 03:59 PM
interesting video Rabbitz

what did you do/play in the Bushwackers ?

Rabbitz
25-08-2015, 04:05 PM
A mere guitar/instrument tech.

(oh and drank a helluva lot...)

wokkaboy
25-08-2015, 04:07 PM
thats pretty cool job Rabbitz,
so were you guitar tech on electric and acoustic guitars ?
what's the hardest job you had to do ?

Rabbitz
25-08-2015, 04:24 PM
I was a staging tech on all the instruments. (Obviously not drums as they aren't instruments :) ).

Hardest? Hard to say. Lug in at the Maroubra Seals Club - 3 flight of a stairs. Actually lugging Chisel out of the Seals. French's Tavern in Oxford St. was a pain.

Waking up in the back of a PA truck after (yet another) RSL club gig, and not having ANY idea what town we were in. About then I did reconsider what exactly I was doing with my life.

Oddest tech job was tuning a tin whistle...

Rabbitz
25-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Ohh Ohh, changing a string on a Bass(!) mid-song while it was still being played.

Mike Smith was the bass player, "Pat Drummond's Skool Daze" was the band, maybe 1983 or 1984.

Got it done...

wokkaboy
25-08-2015, 04:29 PM
wow sounds like an interesting part of you your life. So you shouldn't have any trouble setting up and intonating your LP build !

Rabbitz
25-08-2015, 04:35 PM
It's almost there - just waiting for some el cheapo nut files to arrive from China. It is a smidge high.

Thought about knocking the nut out and shaving the base but given the amount of glue they used I am not keen on risking the new toy.

wokkaboy
25-08-2015, 04:47 PM
so you still got the plastic nut in place ?
they knock out pretty easy if it is. The plastic nuts on the G types are actually hollow so its just the outer edge that makes glued contact with the neck

dave.king1
26-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Tim sure is / was a hell of a player, we shared the stage with Kahvas Jute at Campbelltown Town Hall about a million years ago I think he was about 16 at the time ( Dennis Wilson, Tim Gaze, Bob Daisley & Dannie Davidson ) what a band, they played mainly stuff that was to become the Wide Open album plus a nod to their previous bands Mecca & Taman Shud.

I still have nightmares about how good they were that night and how inadequate their playing made us feel, bloody nice bunch of blokes though.

Thanks for the reminder, time to go back down the youtube rabbit hole and check out more of his work

Rabbitz
26-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Hi Dave,

Brilliant player. Very cool and relaxed.

It was interesting, it took a couple of years of regular Tamworth and the like gigs for him to get me to set his rig up on stage. Then one day we were unloading his car at "The Longyard" at Tamworth and he asked me to set it up and tune it.

It was a pre-L strat, well played and a little battered, but sweet sounding and he was (rightly) protective of it - hey I hate people using my tools too!

So I was setting up and tuning and the other guys in the crew freaked - don't touch Tims guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, I must have gained his trust so it just became part of the routine.

I've never been a guitar hero - in fact for most of my roadie career I could only play one chord, but that was enough to check I'd tuned it properly. It also meant I never fiddled around with the guitarists axes, which I think most of them appreciated.