PDA

View Full Version : Great Results, now for the Dingotone Master Class

Swinging Beef
24-08-2015, 11:29 AM
I have been really happy with the entire process, not just the kit, but also the usability and beauty of the Dingotone finish. Not to mention the addictive aroma! I used Dingotone Uluru over the GR1-SF kit. This was my first build, and my first use of a finishing product such as Dingotone.

My own workmanship, I expect, is to blame, and as I prep for my next project I would like some advice to avoid a couple of outcomes.

1. The finish on the instrument is slightly tacky, even now after one month. Is this normal? I've only ever had poly or nitro instruments before, and this fels very differet. Nothing is sticking to it. Does it need a polish of some kind? The finish still feels slightly soft and can be easily picked off with a fingernail.

2. The finish appears to have micro flaws in it, such as dull spots around joins, and seems to have either tiny flecks of dust or random fine hairs in it. How do I go about avoiding these issues in the future.

3. is the plans for a Dingotone range of aromatic candles? :D

dingobass
24-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Hey Beefy,

Being winter it will take longer to cure, hang in there and and it should harden up.
Meanwhile, just be gentle with it :)

Those dull spots are an indication that one of the coats had not cured enough before re coating..
Dont panic, give it a few more weeks in as dry as possible place (humidity plays havoc with all finishes) and then you can give it the once over with any decent quality non silicon Guitar Wax and those spots should go away.

And finally, no. I have no plans for Dingo candles :p

Swinging Beef
26-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Great service, thanks mate
Now to look for wax polish

ShazzRandom
26-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Dingotone have their own wax, its in the Dingotone shop section of the site
Nice rig btw! How many coats did you do of the stain?