PDA

View Full Version : Hey from wollongong

teleplayer1
16-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Hey
i'm 17 and final weeks of year 12 at high school and i can't wait to be finally finished school so i can get into the awesome world of guitar building
i'm thinking about either starting with a SG double neck or a Pete Townsend style Les Paul deluxe as my first build :)

stan
16-08-2015, 05:19 PM
welcome teleplayer, sort those studies first mate, you are on the home stretch!

teleplayer1
16-08-2015, 08:04 PM
thanks man
i can't wait

Fretworn
17-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Welcome Teleplayer.

wokkaboy
17-08-2015, 10:56 AM
welcome Teleplayer, I'd recommend an easier kit for a first build than the double neck SG, start on the LP will be much easier to build.
Start a build diary and ask any questions you have
Best of luck

teleplayer1
18-08-2015, 04:44 PM
hey wokkaboy
i've seen the double neck Sg you built. So you'd say it's a harder kit?
i do like the lp kit but i'd like to build something a bit "out there"
what are the gibson style flying V kit's like??
would you recommend that as an easier build ??
thanks

wokkaboy
18-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Hi Teleplayer, the double neck SG is almost double the work with 18 tuners, 2 necks and the wiring is quite complex. Plus the body is massive so much more sanding, staining and clear coating time required.
The flying V kits are fairly straight forward but you really need to stand up to play it.
As I said on another thread go for a bolt on neck kit is a bit easier than a set (glued neck)
have a look at the extensive range on the PBG site and we'll let you know the difficulty rating.
Choose a body shape you like

steve.timmons238
21-08-2015, 12:48 AM
Welcome Teleplayer. It's been a long journey so far to be sure, but an education is the greatest gift you can ever receive. Good work man. As for your choice of builds, it's funny. These are the very 2 builds that my son and I started as first builds. I am building the SGD-612 (Almost complete, check my build diary) and my son did the FV-1G kit. The FV-1G kit was easier by far. In fact, it was a blast to build and so is the SGD-612. Welcome to the world of fun and headaches! LOLz!

teleplayer1
24-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Haha thanks steve
i really like the looks of those kit's because they are just so different to anything at the guitar shop
i do have a while to decide though so i still don't even know what i'll build yet