PDA

View Full Version : Pete Townsend Les Paul Deluxe?

teleplayer1
16-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Hi
i'm pretty new to the form but i've been wondering about modifying a Les Paul kit
i really like the look of Pete Townsend's Deluxe's and i am thinking about building a replica after i finish my end of school exams in late october
would anyone have any advice about how i should go about this?
here's an image of what i'm like to achieve

WeirdBits
16-08-2015, 04:04 PM
I guess it depends on how closely you want to replicate it.

The stock humbucker routs would need to be filled and re-routed to fit the mini-humbuckers, plus adding the middle rout for the duo-sound humbucker. The control cavity would need to be enlarged for the two extra switches with a new cavity cover to suit... all doable, but a fair amount of work. If you want the original wine colour then filling the stock routs will be tough to hide, but you could maybe get away with it. However, to get it right, you may be better off checking with Adam about ordering a custom kit without pickup routs and then getting DB to cut them for you. But, that will obviously cost more on both counts.

There's plenty of advice here on the forum to help guide you through it, but it will depend on your skill level, your access to tools and just how accurate you want your replica to be. Good luck with your exams.

stan
16-08-2015, 05:04 PM
welcome mate, weirdy's idea of a special order is a good one

however if you are new to building guitars it might pay to build a standard one first for the experience.

either way, best of luck

teleplayer1
16-08-2015, 08:03 PM
hey guys
thanks for the advice
yeah i was thinking maybe a special order would be the best option
also it wouldn't have to b wine red. i was also thinking about maybe a heritage ferry burst or a gold top as an alternative
i have almost all the tools i need available and a reasonable hardware shop with walking distance
but i might wait a bit for building this baby
as stan was saying i might just build a stock kit first ( i'm thinking the double neck SG, my mate and i want to muck around with a 12 string )
thanks for the great advice

keloooe
16-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Don't start with the double neck as a first kit unless you have the experience to tackle everything. Start with something simpler like a Strat, Tele or LP type, I've done a Strat and LP so far and they are both good starting kits, the LP is a bit more challenging but easy enough for someone like you to build, I built mine and I was only 15 years old! Also having the kit as a end of school gift to yourself would be pretty nice!

Also welcome to the forum!

teleplayer1
18-08-2015, 04:46 PM
thanks for the advice man
i might save the double neck and custom lp deluxe for a bit
though i'm still going to build both someday...

wokkaboy
18-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Hi Teleplayer, you have time on your side ! Plenty of time to tackle a more difficult kit.
Start on a LP, ST, TL kit to start with and get some experience and then you can tackle the harder builds