PDA

View Full Version : EX-4 bass kit

KurtSlash123
11-08-2015, 06:14 PM
So I know it's a little early to start a new build but I'm just having some ideas, and considering I'm playing bass in my band, I though it might be a cool idea to make a bass guitar. Now as I was scrolling through the PBG bass kits, I realised that we have a EX-5, the 5 string explorer styled kit, but do we have this in a 4 string? Or would that be as simple as getting a new neck made for it?

Cheers,
Kurt.

wokkaboy
11-08-2015, 06:19 PM
hey Kurt, I'd get the 5 string EX and learn to play it. The top string is a heavy B string so you don't even need to play that string, play the bottom 4 strings.
The neck, pickups and bridge will be wider for a 5 string so will be too hard to convert to a 4 string. The pup cavities will be wider on the 5 string as well.

keloooe
11-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Or just email Ads about a custom order?

KurtSlash123
11-08-2015, 06:44 PM
You have a good point point woks, the bridge width and pickups cavity widths didn't even cross my mind! God damn, now I'm going to broke for the next week... again xD oh well, all for a good cause! *sighs heavily*

@pest, after reading about what Woks has said, it may as well be easier and cheaper to get the extra string then to get a custom kit, ya feel? Haha

Fretworn
12-08-2015, 11:07 AM
@pest, after reading about what Woks has said, it may as well be easier and cheaper to get the extra string then to get a custom kit, ya feel? Haha

I don't know, have you seen the price of bass strings?!

KurtSlash123
12-08-2015, 11:16 AM
@fretworn, my mistake I should of made that more clear :P what I meant was, ordering the 5 string bass kit is probably cheaper than to get Adam to custom make me a 4 string kit, ya feel? :)

But I do understand what your saying, bass strings are crazy in terms of price. The things we do for our instruments 😝

wokkaboy
12-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Hey Kurt, worth emailing Ads to get a price for a custom 4 string EX, it may work out about the same price as the EX-5.
Otherwise if you like the FV style there's a FV 4 string model available.
My preference would be a 5 string any day once you have played one.
Its like buying a car with a 4 speed or a 5 speed gearbox it's a no brainer

dingobass
12-08-2015, 12:51 PM
And the thing with Bass strings is you only need to change them every 20 years or so....
That is from one Bass to another :p

KurtSlash123
12-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Hmm decisions decisions! I'll email Adam, work something out and make a decision from there I suppose. I really did want to stick with the EX style, I'm thinking like an Andy Clemmensen from Short Stack sort of thing.

@DB 20 years!!!? How often are you playing those strings? :P

keloooe
12-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Just remember to not spin it around your neck just like Andy did with his EB-3 :D

Rabbitz
12-08-2015, 04:37 PM
And the thing with Bass strings is you only need to change them every 20 years or so....
That is from one Bass to another :p

Now I understand why bass players never trim their strings...

KurtSlash123
12-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Hahah! I remember watching that episode of SSTV aaaages ago! 😝 good times, gotta love stack!

Adam had enlightened me that it would cost me 259 buckaroos for a 4 string ex kit. Which is roughly 30 or 50 bucks more than the 5 string, which is no big deal, I expected something like that. So the way I see it, there's no point paying more money for less options, if need be I'll just ignore the extra string. now just the tough wait of saving some money while I finish my other kits :P

dingobass
12-08-2015, 06:38 PM
@DB 20 years!!!? How often are you playing those strings? :P

I use Ernie Ball Flatwounds... The older they get the better they seem to sound.
Have a mate over east that plays two or three gigs a week and has had the same set on for over 20 years now.....

KurtSlash123
12-08-2015, 08:52 PM
That's nuts! I love it! Haha I'll never have to change strings on my bass ever haha! Woohoo!

Fretworn
13-08-2015, 11:19 AM
That's nuts! I love it! Haha I'll never have to change strings on my bass ever haha! Woohoo!

Until you break one (Don't laugh! I've seen it happen more than once)

GeneralKaos
13-08-2015, 05:39 PM
You'll like the 5er, I am playing the sh!t out of mine.....
I'm thinking it may need a partner without the speed bumps....

dingobass
13-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Until you break one (Don't laugh! I've seen it happen more than once)

Being a finger player with a very light touch, I have never managed to break one....

keloooe
13-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Being a finger player with a very light touch, I have never managed to break one....

Mhmm I'm the same DB. I've seen people break the damn E string (even seen a B break, what the actual?) multiple times and who knows how hard they play....