PDA

View Full Version : Neck radius options?

BenWA
11-08-2015, 12:02 PM
So ive been playing guitar way more recently than i have since i was about 16-17, and trying to play all the different guitars i have as well (even though theyre all cheapy junk really) to see what feels and sounds best for me.

while my pitbull kit tele sounds and feels pretty good for clean, open stuff, the neck kinda feels hard work when playing quick lead stuff, especially compared to my old squier strat which was my first guitar. although the strings are identical on both guitars, on the tele they feel harder work to bend, almost like a heavier gauge set of strings.

Would neck radius be a major factor here?

And to get to my original point of this thread, would it be possible to offer some aftermarket necks with say a 9.5 radius (i think thats what the standard strat neck radius is), because i definitely can feel the difference. Probably not economically viable to order a load of different necks that probably wont sell though.

Whats the reason for the 12" radius on all the kits in the first place? im sure that personal preference plays a big part but is that generally the most popular neck radius? thats what gibson use right?

sorry for the ramble, Ive played guitar for years but have always basically lived under a rock as far as equipment and guitar tech stuff goes!

pablopepper
11-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Flatter (larger) radius is usually associated with a faster feeling neck. Traditionally, teles have a 7.25" radius, which is crazy round if you ask me. I'd say the factory only offers 12" to save costs on tooling. More than one radius means more machines or downtime to change over settings. I believe Ibanez also use a standard 12" radius along with Gibson.

I found the profile of the neck on my tele (C shape) a little uncomfortable to deal with. Moving to a strat (D shape) neck helped enormously.

andrewdosborne
11-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Interesting. I experience the opposite. My F*er Tele w/ 9.5" radius is very uncomfortable to play (in my hands) esp lead, whereas my 12" radius TLA kit feels awesome. Maybe also scale length comes in here (I'm no expert..). On my G* SG with 0.11 strings it plays faster and easier than 0.09's on my F*er style guitars?

dingobass
11-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Some good points, my feeling is the manufacturer probably settled on 12" radius as compromise.

Personally, I feel 12" is too round for Bass. Much prefer a 16".

wokkaboy
11-08-2015, 01:11 PM
some good comments above. I'd guess that too DB a 12" radius would mean less machining of the fingerboard than lower radii.
I've used 16" on a guitar and that worked pretty well.
I agree Pabs 7.25" is way to round for bends, might feel ok for playing chords

Fretworn
12-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Ben, do the guitars have similar actions? Also the knife edge trem on the Strat will make the strings feel looser than a hardtail tele.

BenWA
12-08-2015, 01:26 PM
yeah the actions are pretty similar, maybe it is the trem on the strat actually. i dont have the trem bar on it, but its got the springs on still, not blocked up.
my other tele still feels a bit flexier to bend in the strings department than the pb one though

Fretworn
13-08-2015, 11:08 AM
my other tele still feels a bit flexier to bend in the strings department than the pb one though

That may mean your TL-1 is more solidly built.

BenWA
13-08-2015, 11:50 AM
likely, the other tele is one of the cheapest squier ones available, that i paid 30 quid for back in the uk like 8 years ago