PDA

View Full Version : September 2015 Guitar of the Month

adam
11-08-2015, 07:02 AM
Enter your finished guitar here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars September 2015 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

One guitar per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)

We need 4 photos:

full guitar shot from the front;
close up of the body finish;
shot of the back of the guitar; and
close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to adam (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible.

Competition for September closes 31 August 2015.

Winner will be judged by the Pit Bull Guitars Judging Panel, including the winner of the August GOTM.

Arzi
11-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Hi

This is my entry for september GOTM. RC-4 with following mods and specs:

Coloring with water based stains "cole black" and "fire engine red"

Finish with TO

Individual black string bridges

customized black pearl scratch plates and truss rod cover

black tuning pegs with stock chrome ferrules

black strap locks

electronics shielded with aluminum tape

This is my second build so far. Can´t wait for the next one. Huge thanks PBG and to all of you builders that have educated me through your wisdom and diaries during this process. I was gonna keep this close to stock at first but when I saw the flaming on the body - everything changed and this is what happened. :)

Arzi

wokkaboy
11-08-2015, 03:07 PM
awesome build Arzi,knew this would be the first September entry !
This will be very hard to beat.

Arzi
11-08-2015, 03:07 PM
And some more...

Had to change the headstock photo for another after stringing again....

KurtSlash123
11-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Arco that is looking mighty fine! Love your work mate!

andrewdosborne
11-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Nice one Arzi. Loving this RC build

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stan
12-08-2015, 12:28 PM
glad to see this in GOTM Arzi, great job

Rabbitz
12-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Here is my offering for GOTM. My first attempt.

I am happy enough, but I don't think it can compete with the masterpieces I've seen around her!

So here is the LP-1M.

Stock, out of the box.

Top:
1 Coat of DT Coolangatta Gold
1 Coat of DT Intensifier
3 Coats of DT Finish
10 Coats of Hand Rubbed Tru-Oil

Body:
15+ Coats of Hand Rubbed Tru-Oil

Neck and Headstock:
20+ Coats of Hand Rubbed Tru-Oil

All of the Tru-oil had 0000 Steel Wool or 1200 Wet & Dry rub back after every second coat.

Full Length

Headstock

Body Rear

To Be Continued...

Rabbitz
12-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Part 2

Body Finish

Grain

Cheers!!

wokkaboy
12-08-2015, 04:22 PM
well done Rabbitz I love the colour of the top and I didn't realise the back/sides/neck were just tru oil. Shows how nice mahogany looks with just clear coats. I could definitely picture Slash playing this beast. You got to be really happy with this for a first build. How does it sound ? I've found these LP kits sound pretty good stock. The pups have a nice growl

Rabbitz
12-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Hey Woks,

Thanks.

It sounds better than I can play, that's for sure. Still toying around with the set up - it wont stay in tune yet. It's only had tension on it for less than 24hrs so the timber is still moulding itself.

Plus, as I usually play an acoustic, and use a clip on tuner, do you reckon I can find one of my (several) plug in tuners? Clip ons aren't accurate or stable enough on this one!!

jarrod
14-08-2015, 03:24 PM
wow two very tasty guitars to start the month.

stan
15-08-2015, 06:17 AM
nice job Rabbitz, simple , classic and classy (the judges do like headstock logos, just saying...)

tom
17-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Hi all,

Here's my first entry for Guitar of the Month, its my second build, but I'm still tinkering on the first...

It's a standard TL-1A kit, with a bone nut and the added Bigsby B5. First time trying a sunburst, which was a combination of the Dingotone Outback Sunset and Blackstump finishes. Went with a matte finish, which I'm super pleased with.

Very happy with how it's turned out, and sounds great. Will eventually upgrade the pickups, but need to do a bit of saving first...

Fretworn
17-08-2015, 11:05 AM
That looks great Tom!

wokkaboy
17-08-2015, 11:34 AM
tele looks excellent Tom, you did a great job on the burst. So is this an alder body ?

bargeloobs
17-08-2015, 11:55 AM
@Arzi, spectacular build, some really nice personalized touches that make it stand out, awesome stuff.
@Rabbitz, I'd be well happy with these results, I especially love the vibrancy of the top and the shimmer you achieved on the headstock, quality work man!
@Tom, I love everything about this, I think you should probably give it to me;-)

stan
17-08-2015, 01:33 PM
Tom that is just a great classic axe, well done

tom
17-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys,

yep, Wokka, Alder body. I think you did one similar a while ago? You inspired me...

wokkaboy
17-08-2015, 03:48 PM
cheers Tom, yes I built an alder tele a while ago in a lightish red stain

Arzi
17-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Hi

Thanks to all. Tom's and Rabbitz's builds are awesome - really wish I could play the 6-string myself so I could get my hands on likes of those beautiful pieces... Maybe I'll try to build one and start learning...

Just made an order for MMB-4 with maple neck. Gonna keep it fairly simple (we'll see) but gonna try something like the Reflex-series with binding. Scary stuff... Will have to wait a couple of months though for the custom order to arrive... It's hard as...

Arzi

Gavin1393
17-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Some really good entries already this month.

andrewdosborne
18-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Hi all,

Here's my first entry for Guitar of the Month, its my second build, but I'm still tinkering on the first...

It's a standard TL-1A kit, with a bone nut and the added Bigsby B5. First time trying a sunburst, which was a combination of the Dingotone Outback Sunset and Blackstump finishes. Went with a matte finish, which I'm super pleased with.

Very happy with how it's turned out, and sounds great. Will eventually upgrade the pickups, but need to do a bit of saving first...

Great Tele Tom, you've got to be happy with that. Love the burst

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Rabbitz
19-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Hey Tom,

I reckon that's knocked me right out of the running - well done!

Gavin1393
19-08-2015, 04:19 PM
To all GOTM entrants

One of the things we Judges look at (only because we never get to actually hear the guitars is to see if the guitar has been intonated. You might want to attend to this on your entries since if you have a really nice looking ax and it would be a shame to lose 'points' for this.

Don't forget the headstock logo too.

Good luck with the GOTM

wokkaboy
19-08-2015, 04:23 PM
and Gavmiester recommends truss rod covers too haha

Gavin1393
19-08-2015, 05:03 PM
and Gavmiester recommends truss rod covers too haha
Looks like the next 12 months is going to be a dry spell for 4D after that comment hey Woks! ;)

wokkaboy
19-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Looks like the next 12 months is going to be a dry spell for 4D after that comment hey Woks! ;)

bwhahahha you should be in comedy Gavmeister !

andrewdosborne
20-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Finally got this one completed. TLA-1 kit neck, body & pickguard.

From top to bottom: Gotoh SG381 tuners, Gotoh string tree, bone nut, frets levelled & crowned. 3x coats of TO on neck/fretboard. Neck has a very slim shim at at the head stock end of pocket (about 1/2 credit card depth). 'Fifth' logo - this was my 5th build....

Body: Dyed with Dylon 'Goldfish Orange'. Grainfilled with a light Timbermate (I think maple?) with 4 coats of TO. Pup bridge: Tonerider hotclassic. Bridge pup from a F*r standard Tele. Bridge: Wilkinson compensated. Input jack - modern US style. US Tele spec electrics with tone bleed mod. Neck plate from Realparts. Used good chrome quality screws.

Body has a tummy and arm cut.

Hard to capture this in a photo in light and with low-resolution upload. There are a lot of gold highlights that do not show up face on.

andrewdosborne
20-08-2015, 07:41 AM
And some sunny/close-ups of the body.

wokkaboy
20-08-2015, 08:46 AM
nice one Chips it's come up really nicely and you've done some nice mods with the shaping and upgrades.
I'm sure the tele napper will be happy with a couple of tele entries this month !
Now the build is entered Chips you better get back on your bike on the Californian Highway bro !

Gavin1393
20-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Loving the close up Chips, need one outdoors pic with the afternoon sun on those highlight...we really need it to look awesome when we out it on the front page of PBG!

Rabbitz
20-08-2015, 10:28 AM
To all GOTM entrants

One of the things we Judges look at (only because we never get to actually hear the guitars is to see if the guitar has been intonated. You might want to attend to this on your entries since if you have a really nice looking ax and it would be a shame to lose 'points' for this.

Don't forget the headstock logo too.

Good luck with the GOTM

Two questions:

1) How does one tell from a photo that intonation has be done?

2) What if you don't want a headstock logo?

Rabz

wokkaboy
20-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Hey Rabbitz, usually if a guitar/bass is intonated the saddles will be further back for the thicker wound strings and closer to the nut the thinner the string. Then the G string on a guitar is generally a bit further back than the D string then closer to the nut for B and E strings. See picture this is roughly what a bridge of a G type guitar should look like.
This of course is only a guide as it depends on nut height, string gauges, bridge height and the angle of the bridge relative to the nut.

You should tune the guitar then move the saddles until the open note is exactly the same as the 12th fret harmonic.

In regards to headstock logo thats a personal preference to the builder, totally up to you. The judges feel that if you have built the guitar you should be proud to put your name or a guitar name on the headstock

pablopepper
20-08-2015, 10:53 AM
How does one tell from a photo that intonation has be done?

Rabz

You can't really. There are too many factors at play to say 'this' is what it should look like, but there is a generally accepted starting point as Wokka's pic shows which is what one expects to see. What Gavin is getting at (I believe) is in Tom's pics the saddles sit in a straight line, this should never usually happen and gives the impression that the intonation would be off.

pablopepper
20-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Some bloody nice stuff going on this month. :)

andrewdosborne
20-08-2015, 12:30 PM
nice one Chips it's come up really nicely and you've done some nice mods with the shaping and upgrades.
I'm sure the tele napper will be happy with a couple of tele entries this month !
Now the build is entered Chips you better get back on your bike on the Californian Highway bro !

Cheers Woks, yep Chippy will have to get back on the freeway again (after I pick up some Nitro for next build ;). I cannot book myself!

wokkaboy
20-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Cheers Woks, yep Chippy will have to get back on the freeway again (after I pick up some Nitro for next build ;). I cannot book myself!

haha nice one Chips. Well if the leader of the naughty warehouse can use nitro then anyone can !
whats the next build the ash jazz bass mate ?

andrewdosborne
20-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Loving the close up Chips, need one outdoors pic with the afternoon sun on those highlight...we really need it to look awesome when we out it on the front page of PBG!

Yep, need to whip out my decent camera and have a photo shoot on the weekend

andrewdosborne
20-08-2015, 12:45 PM
haha nice one Chips. Well if the leader of the naughty warehouse can use nitro then anyone can !
whats the next build the ash jazz bass mate ?

Yep, jazz bass here we come!

wokkaboy
20-08-2015, 01:06 PM
sounds good Chips, don't get too carried away with the build mate, you got the highways to keep crime free !

And the thread jacking squad will keep thread jacking as normal !

stan
20-08-2015, 05:40 PM
very sweet tele, Andrew, that colour is spot on

bargeloobs
21-08-2015, 07:46 AM
Tele came up real nice there Ponch, the pearloid pickguard ties it all together perfectly. Looks choice.

wokkaboy
21-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Tele came up real nice there Ponch, the pearloid pickguard ties it all together perfectly. Looks choice.

haha Poncherello, nice one Barge. When you off to Un Zud Bruh ? must be soon. I'd stay off the highways near Ponch he runs a tight shup bro !

bargeloobs
21-08-2015, 09:26 AM
haha Poncherello, nice one Barge. When you off to Un Zud Bruh ? must be soon. I'd stay off the highways near Ponch he runs a tight shup bro !

Hahahaha that picture!! Is that Ponch with or without his helmet?
Off back to NZ next Friday Wokks...I hope my liver can hold up;-)

wokkaboy
21-08-2015, 09:54 AM
good stuff Barge, hope you make some time for some hill kayaking bro.
Don't worry the thread jacking will continue without you bro

Tonyewen
21-08-2015, 11:06 AM
This seems a funny contest - how do you lose when you start with the prize of a beaut guitar?

Anyway, here's my first-timer effort. It's the ESB4 kit. My wife got sick of me looking at guitars that weren't quite what I was looking for and told me to build my own instead. I liked the idea, so here we are.

I really like the look and feel of the spanish guitars. I've got an Ibanez Artcore that this was intended to be a stablemate to, and I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

The finish was deliberately kept simple - that was never my strong suit in woodwork at school and I like the simple stained look. So the main colour is a Feast Watson stain and varnish in Aged Teak - ragged on so no brushes. This was topped with a few coats of clear gloss varnish in the same product line. The neck was just done in the clear varnish and the headstock text was traced on using a light-fast archival marker after the 2nd coat went on. The fretboard was simply oiled up.

First, the full-frontal

In my build diary I made a comment that I thought the back would have made a good front. That was after only 2 coats of finish. This is why:

That looks even better in person.

Here's the front finish for comparison. The shot was taken before I started on the wiring and a cropped version is my phone background.

now I'm an old-school geek from my youth so, what else would I put on the the headstock but my name - in Elvish :)

Overall, this has been a fun build and I'm looking forward to a lot of playing with this little beasty.

Edited to add requested photos :)

Firstly, the whole back - on tilt to fit better.

And the front of the body - I'm only allowed 5 pic per post so that will come next.

wokkaboy
21-08-2015, 11:11 AM
looks great Tony, well done. You might want to post a photo of the whole front close up to show that flame maple top. It's nicely bookmatched so show it off. It would look better if its a finished shot without wires hanging out as well !
Also need to post a photo of the full back of the bass.
Looks awesome enjoy playing it !

Tonyewen
21-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Here's the front of the body.4721

wokkaboy
21-08-2015, 11:45 AM
looks good Tony. Is this the supplied bridge ? the strings over the bridge pickup don't look centred. It might be the angle of the photo so don't be alarmed !
The bridge post holes are pre-drilled right ?

Tonyewen
21-08-2015, 02:01 PM
That's right. You noticed it too huh?

Yes the holes are pre-drilled, and they're not quite aligned. Same with the pickup cavities. I figure it's not going to be noticeable when played and way too hard to correct. It's not noticeable from just the holes, and I didn't install the post mounts until the finish was done. By then it was too late to do anything about it.

The bridge is about 3 degrees off straight, but otherwise fits ok.

wokkaboy
21-08-2015, 02:12 PM
the bridge angle shouldn't be an issue to intonate as you should have enough saddle movement. As long as you are getting full volume out of the G string on bridge pup then as you say it won't be that obvious.
Was there any neck movement in the pocket to try and pull the strings over to the bass side ?
Its glued now anyway.

Tonyewen
21-08-2015, 02:26 PM
No movement at all :( I had to sand it a little to make it fit at all.

Actually with that bridge I think it made the intonation marginally easier. It's fully adjustable anyway so it's only a minor cosmetic issue. It should be enough to drive me nuts (I'm diagnosed autistic) - but it only bothers me sometimes.

wokkaboy
21-08-2015, 02:35 PM
no movement in the neck is a plus Tony, you know it will be solid and carry the resonance through the body well. The bridge is angled the right way like a G type guitar so I think it will work out well

Tonyewen
21-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Just looking through some pics of ES guitars on line - I see what you mean. I think it's just more noticeable because of it's shape and the bookmatched grain. I've got the arvo off work and I've been playing around with it and sounds great.

wokkaboy
21-08-2015, 02:55 PM
glad you are enjoying your creation Tony, you can't put a level of satisfaction and pleasure you get from playing a guitar or bass that you built yourself. That's why this hobby is so addictive !
I'm looking at the angle of the bridge as a plus for ease of intonation, the aesthetics won't be that obvious to someone that isn't pointed it out I'd think.
Good stuff you uploaded an avatar. Think we've thread jacked this thread enough, better continue on your build diary !

stan
21-08-2015, 05:07 PM
great effort Tony, nice bass

Gavin1393
21-08-2015, 05:35 PM
This seems a funny contest - how do you lose when you start with the prize of a beaut guitar?

First, the full-frontal

Will someone please PM me when its safe to scroll down....

Tonyewen
21-08-2015, 06:22 PM
LOL - that made my night Gavin.

bargeloobs
24-08-2015, 01:56 PM
This is my STA-1 kit, pretty much bog standard (hardware wise) apart from some chrome knurled knobs.
Carved, sandblasted ash body, stained in black and red ink.
Finished in Behlen satin nitro lacquer.
Headstock plate courtesy of Pab's. You DA MAN bro!!
A few other customization's.

bargeloobs
24-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Here's a few more...

wokkaboy
24-08-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm glad I'm not entering this month is a such a fantastic bunch of entries

andrewdosborne
24-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Love it Barge and I'm happy to see this one finished. Awesome stuff!

wokkaboy
24-08-2015, 02:05 PM
good one Ponch, you give out many traffic fines over the weekend ?

bargeloobs
24-08-2015, 02:08 PM
I'm happy to see this one finished.

You and me both Ponch:-) Cheers dude.

andrewdosborne
24-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Nah, Saturday was 28c so spent the day at the beach, Sunday - 14 degrees colder so spent some time cleaning up the workshop, upgrading older builds (bone nut upgrades & headstock shape / logo refining on the ES-1G) etc. Also picked up a TL-1 in the 3rd birthday specials so planned that build as well...... its now raining and being a fair-weather bikie there will be no bookings for the next few days at least!

wokkaboy
24-08-2015, 02:15 PM
nice one you picked up a TL-1 kit. I thought Ponch was a tough guy and not scared of the rain or cold weather ?

tom
24-08-2015, 02:44 PM
damn. I thought I had a chance bargeloobs... That thing is amazing

andrewdosborne
24-08-2015, 02:49 PM
nice one you picked up a TL-1 kit. I thought Ponch was a tough guy and not scared of the rain or cold weather ?

The bloods got a bit thin with age, I was much tougher in the late 70's!

bargeloobs
24-08-2015, 02:50 PM
damn. I thought I had a chance bargeloobs... That thing is amazing

Hey thanks Tom. I think you're pretty safe man, I just put this in here for shits and giggles.
PROTIP: If you want to win a GOTM, don't piss off the head judge:-)

wokkaboy
24-08-2015, 02:52 PM
haha who knows Barge, have to wait and see what the judges say.

@ Ponch, sounds like you need a cup of concrete mate ! haha

Arzi
24-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Hey Barge

I think we all know your work has the wow-factor that pretty much everyone here would like to achieve some day.

Shits and giggles or something else - the winner should be the one that stands out of the croud and yours does. Beautiful job and it has inspired me on my next build. :)

andrewdosborne
24-08-2015, 03:23 PM
haha who knows Barge, have to wait and see what the judges say.

@ Ponch, sounds like you need a cup of concrete mate ! haha
I think they sell cans of concrete at the big green shed!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
24-08-2015, 03:43 PM
haha maybe they do Ponch. I usually tell my mates that need hardening up to make a cup of rapid set !

stan
24-08-2015, 05:41 PM
another first class build Bargy!!

note to self, do not enter GOTM if Bargy has finished something....

stan
24-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Hey thanks Tom. I think you're pretty safe man, I just put this in here for shits and giggles.
PROTIP: If you want to win a GOTM, don't piss off the head judge:-)

haha, but Barge, you may not think so, but I think Ads is big enough to judge something on its merits and not let the past be an issue.

Arzi
24-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Hi Stan

Your words ; "note to self, do not enter GOTM if Bargy has finished something...."

Agreed... We have these awesome builds here (not talking on my behalf) and then someone comes "Bargeing" in... ;)

bargeloobs
25-08-2015, 04:56 AM
Hey Barge

I think we all know your work has the wow-factor that pretty much everyone here would like to achieve some day.

Shits and giggles or something else - the winner should be the one that stands out of the croud and yours does. Beautiful job and it has inspired me on my next build. :)

If I've managed to inspire someone with my build I'm a winner already:-) cheers heaps Arzi.

Tonyewen
25-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Very nice axe mate

Jeff Sheridan
27-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Great looking custom carves/headstock/finish barge! I would love to be able to see that guitar in person, love the little white binding/paint pin line bown the body.

vh2580
29-08-2015, 11:27 AM
To add to the numbers

PRS kit with Mahogany body
Tonerider Rocksong Pickups
CTS Pots, Orange Cap & Fidelity Upgrade
Bone Nut
Gotoh Locking Tuners
Gotoh TOM Bridge
Cast Skull Tailpiece

vh2580
29-08-2015, 11:28 AM
At different finish shots. One with different knobs

stan
29-08-2015, 02:01 PM
killer PRS kit Tony, some nice touches to make this one different

Arzi
29-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Great looking piece of work there Tony. Beautiful combination of colors and very nice consistent grain on the back.

wokkaboy
30-08-2015, 09:54 AM
killer build Tony you really made the most of the flamed cap. So glad I'm not entering this month so many awesome builds

lukemichael
30-08-2015, 01:41 PM
It's taken close to 4 months, but I've finally got it done! My first build, and it's taught me so much, have loved every minute of it (even if some of those minutes were spent yelling some pretty colourful words!).

My Spalt Maple LP Kit.
Undercoat: with ebony Timbermate
Finish: Dingotone Coolangatta Gold
5 (I think) coats of stain
3 Coats of intensifier
3 Coats of finish

Upgraded:
Tonerider Generator Pups
CTS pots
Orange drop caps
Gotoh 3-way switch
Switchcraft input jack
and (mostly) cloth wiring

I can honestly say I have been absolutely blown away with this kit. My expectations weren't all that high as all I wanted was a decent guitar that I could mess around with in my room - so long as sound came out, I would have been happy. What I got was a real quality guitar, I am so stoked with the Toneriders, their tone is unreal! I had the frets levelled and re-seated by a local guy in Melbourne and he did an excellent job for only $80 - John at Shub Guitars. She plays like a dream and isn't too hard on the eyes either ;)
I've had a few issues with the Dingotone not trying properly thanks to the cold weather we've had here over the past few months, however, again, John has given me a solution for that too.
http://res.cloudinary.com/djtbsud8r/image/upload/v1440911242/IMG_7361_sgrhyb.jpghttp://res.cloudinary.com/djtbsud8r/image/upload/v1440911219/IMG_7356_uwctvq.jpghttp://res.cloudinary.com/djtbsud8r/image/upload/v1440911201/IMG_7352_c7uqkp.jpg

lukemichael
30-08-2015, 01:42 PM
http://res.cloudinary.com/djtbsud8r/image/upload/v1440911216/IMG_7334_r10job.jpghttp://res.cloudinary.com/djtbsud8r/image/upload/v1440911169/IMG_7336_hmwyjg.jpghttp://res.cloudinary.com/djtbsud8r/image/upload/v1440911201/IMG_7357_ee8saz.jpghttp://res.cloudinary.com/djtbsud8r/image/upload/v1440911237/IMG_7368_w6qu65.jpg

pablopepper
30-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Why not throw this in the ring too.

EX-1 satin dark cherry finish (Ubeaut water based stain mix and Tru Oil). Added tummy contour, repositioned switch and reshaped headstock.

Extras:
-Tonerider Rocksongs
-Wilkinson EZ lok tuners
-Bourns pots
-Rotary bridge coil split
-Russian PIO tone cap
-Epiphone 3 way switch
-Bone nut
-Switchcraft jack
-cloth covered wiring
-custom 3 ply pickguard, truss cover and jack plate.
-Schaller strap locks

http://i.imgur.com/H9INmMIh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/u09QEQXh.jpg

pablopepper
30-08-2015, 02:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eyYvLAEh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KtxHmu7.jpg

stan
30-08-2015, 03:48 PM
sensational effort Luke, the black hardware sets it off.

what was the solution with the dingotone?

stan
30-08-2015, 03:50 PM
nice work and upgrades Pabs. It has shred written all over it

Arzi
30-08-2015, 04:13 PM
@ Luke: Looks amazing! One of the best spalts I've seen here. You must be pleased even though had to wait for the drying.

@ Pabs: You did a great job transforming the previous build to this fine piece. Looks the way it should for a shread.

Rabbitz
31-08-2015, 04:40 AM
Well that's it then.

Can I withdraw mine? I feel embarrassed now.

:p

Well done all.

tom
31-08-2015, 06:38 AM
ha! me too rabbitz! wouldn't mind this lot as my quiver, they're awesome!

andrewdosborne
31-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Awesome bunch of entries this month, well done everyone & good luck judges!

wokkaboy
31-08-2015, 11:12 AM
well done Luke and Pablo, both 2 awesome entries.
So glad I'm not entering this month and sure the judges will have plenty of headaches marking this superb bunch of builds entered

adam
01-09-2015, 07:04 AM
So, 9 solid entries this month, I'll get the judges going tonight and try for the results on Friday. Thanks for entering.

Swinging Beef
01-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Such amazing bunch of guitars

I dunnow where you guys get your ideas from!

Rabbitz
04-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Awwwwwwwww Geeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz, it's Friday already.

Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.
Please let it be me.

:)

wokkaboy
04-09-2015, 03:24 PM
haha Rabbitz, I'd say results by tonight might be optimistic when you got to compile about 6-7 judges scores and comments.
Sure Ads should announce the winner over the weekend.
Best of luck to all entrants, will take something really special to win out of the 9 entries

Tonyewen
05-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Ya know we all win anyway lol

adam
05-09-2015, 04:05 PM
1. Arzi’s RC-4 “The Cole” http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4546&d=1439276717
Really like what you did with the pickup surrounds. A really nice build that you must be proud of.
Looks great, good colour choice, well built.
A beautiful finish, love the colour and the extra's make this a bass that really grabs my attention. This would jump out at me whilst it was hanging on the wall every time I walked into the room. sensational job
I went back and forth on the body finish for a while, finally arriving at it was a great way to highlight the grain pattern that only appeared in one spot on the body and is a awesome finish and response to the natural grains given to you. Great work on this one Arzi. Points for customization, flexibility as the kit required, and giving it a name. Every loved guitar should have a name... One of the five guitars at a Les Claypool concert
Pure class - great way to kick off GOTM. Fantastic mods, all comes together with this. Like the logo as well!

2. Rabbitz’ LP-1M
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4566&d=1439366634
The natural colours work well together and the body of the guitar looks terrific. Pity about the headstock not being claimed (as we say month after month). You might also want to remove the protective white dots from the tuners and look at the intonation of your guitar to really enjoy it. A really good first build Rabbitz!
Fantastic simple but looks good. Well built
Traditional bright colour and well made. Head stock looks great but does sream put a logo on me. Very nice work sir!
Beautiful gold finish is eye catching. Points taken away for no logo, customization, and the comment, "won't stay in tune yet" Garage band
Lots of effort has gone into this one. Couple of minor adjustments - e.g., plastic on the back of the tuners and the pups and this guitar would be stunning.

3. Tom’s TL-1A
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4660&d=1439775075
This is a really awesome Burst. Love the Bigby upgrade and when you upgrade the pickups...Dave Allen Cheetah's (you can thank me later). Name the headstock! Is it intonated? This will really improve your playability.
Very good, well built
Sensational Burst (really nice), I love the Bigsby Add on but you really need to set up your intonation and a logo would finish it off a treat. Great job and an attractive guitar.
Color/burst choice is great, matches and "fits" the grain pattern. Added Bigsby was making this guitar definitely dray my eye and make me want to play it. That being said I had to drop a few points because of no logo or truss rod cover. And i am sad about it. Outdoor festival beer garden
Classy tele. Pretty impressive for a second effort. All looks good, only recommendation would be a personalised logo - it's a great job, be proud of it!

4. Andrew Osborn’e TLA-1
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4732&d=1440209449
Wow! This finish looks like glass. Really impressive. Some really nice mods to appreciate as well. Colours work well yet so simply together. Getting better all the time Chips!
Really well built and finished
I love it Andrew. A clean job and a traditional look makes me want to grab it and play, Well done.
Very clean and polished looking. Nothing looks out of place on this guitar, and the mention of the fretwork leads me to believe this would be a great guitar to play. good to see a logo, but No truss rod cover. Weezer concert
Another classy tele.

5. Tony Ewen’s ESB-4 http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4716&d=1440125828
As you stated, so nice and simple even if you did threaten us with a 'full-frontal'. You must be very proud of this guitar it looks terrific.
Simple but looks good and seems well built.
EL Natural. What a sensational looking bass! You do need to set up your intonation as per the video's on PB how to's. Your hidden wiring looks great too. A great looker!
Beautiful clear stained back. Kept plain on purpose and it does look a little plain. But the builder likes playing it and that always says a lot! Wires in the picture, not "looking intoned" and bridge pickup and strings not looking aligned are negatives. Elvish name? I love it that he claimed it! Jazz Bar
Nice elegant ES Bass - stunning…

6. Bargeloob’s STA-1
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4760&d=1440395728
What a great looking Strat. Design is WoW! You have some guitar porn on display here. The headstock is sensational (Pab's work is tops too) and the curves, use of colour and layers make this a great submission.
Great shape and colour scheme. Looks great and shows a huge amount of work has gone into this.
What can I say Bargy. Looks like a benchmark in the customizing side of things has been set. This say's I replicate no guitar and I am an individual. But to be honest I am disappointed that you have not set you intonation up before you entered. This is no less of a guitar than I will be expecting to see from you in the future. Fantastic axe.
This was a really unique finish which I believe probably required the most skill to pull off. coupled with the custom carves and other custom goodies thrown in make this a really high quality looking instrument. love the two tone headstock and am thinking about how I could do something kinda like it. Very professional looking minus the truss rod cover. Probably left off on purpose. Prince concert
What a Strat should look like! Love the character of this one and how it has all come together Barge… Another great build.

7. VH2580’s PRS-1TS http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4868&d=1440818799
Some great work on display this month and this is added to that. Whilst not a fan of a blue guitar this has turned out well. The bridge is really cool too!
Well finished the build looks good.
What a classy looking guitar. Love the bridge and the colour of the cap is a stand out. A lot effort has gone into this guitar and a very nice job you have done.
I liked the finish, color and grain highlight. Cool headstock and very cool truss rod cover. nice custom "devilish" bridge. this was a nice guitar but the lack of the full frontal shot made it so I couldn't get a real good feel for it. Megadeth calling.
Tony - like the choice of upgrades - focussing on the tone - looks like it should be a cracker to play.

8. Luke Michael’s LP-1SS http://res.cloudinary.com/djtbsud8r/image/upload/v1440911242/IMG_7361_sgrhyb.jpg
Loving what you have done with this build. Spalted always look that bit special don't they? A lot of effort has gone into this and it shows. You will get to enjoy and show off this guitar for many years to come.
Well finished and built. Nice choice of stain.
Loud and proud and a sensational looking LP. This to me screams play me mellow and bluesy. A nice finish and a nicely presented guitar. Well done.
I liked the electronics shot showing all the custom caps, pups, and wire. The outdoor shot of the top is beautiful! same for the headstock photo. Im fine with a drawn on logo, but his could have looked better so minus for sloppy looking. Punk rock club
I like the simplicity of the choice of colours - just really comes together well.

9. PabloPepper’s EX-1
http://i.imgur.com/H9INmMIh.jpg
Looking good Pabs. Expected to see something more with the pickguard! :) But a great effort with the rest of the guitar!
Highlights the grain nicely, well built and finished.
Way to mellow an angry axe Pab. Very clean lines and clearly nicely built , bet she play's like a dream. Awsome job.
Mmmm very nice clean and sleek. I think I could play better than I can if I had this guitar in my hands. and my playing would sound like the future.... I like the color as it isn't seen too often, dark but not cherry. points off for some discoloration around the headstock logo... this would probably be the guitar I would grab out of the bunch... New new wave concert
Great EX - nicely finished and presented.

And the Winner is...

Bargeloob's STA-1

Congratulations, and thank you guys for another 9 awesome entries. Roll on Rocktober!

pablopepper
05-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Ooh, judges aren't pulling punches anymore, I like it. :)

No surprises on the winner though, supreme effort by Barge. Well done sir.

An excellent month, not a stinker among them. Well done all.

Arzi
05-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Congrats to Barge! Well earned win! :)

Rabbitz
05-09-2015, 05:08 PM
On ya Barge!!!!

I'll just head back to the Garage and plan for the ST-1. Although as it is also unlikely to have a logo, it may not ever get out of the garage.

crundes
05-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Congratulations Barge! a well deserved win :-) Another quality round of builds this month!

andrewdosborne
05-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Well done Barge and all other entrants

wokkaboy
06-09-2015, 09:56 AM
congratulations Barge and all other entrants, a really great collection of axes this month and the bar keeps rising !
Also well done judges on another tough month

Gavin1393
06-09-2015, 10:39 AM
On ya Barge!!!!

I'll just head back to the Garage and plan for the ST-1. Although as it is also unlikely to have a logo, it may not ever get out of the garage.

I think we need to understand that the GOTM is not all about a logo. It's supposed to be a fun competition that encourages builders of varying degrees of expertise to gain insight and understanding of crafting a guitar. Most of us going into a music store will be looking at the headstock and what is written on it. It's how the manufacturer identifies that they built the product.

Building your own guitar is about the thought, the planning and execution of your build. Putting something on the guitar that claims it as yours is that 'little something extra' that we all expect as we would when walking into a store to choose that one guitar that we will leave with. Some forum members have engraved the Truss Rod cover or the Neck plate. Some have put something on the pick guard for example. (Some have omitted Truss Rod covers and lost GOTM comps by doing so - Wokka / DB and Pest - Shutup!)

By not having anything on your guitar doesn't make it a bad guitar. Some of the judges simply feel that if you are making the extra effort to spend time thinking about adding something identifying the guitar as yours and then turning this thought process into action needs to be rewarded.

keloooe
06-09-2015, 11:02 AM
What? I never omitted the truss rod cover? On the LP I had it and the Strat didn't have one? The rest I agree with, it is always nice to have those little "tweaks" to the kits to really give it a life of its own, like the carving I did on the Frankenpester!

Congrats to Barge and well done to all of this month's entrants, I'd walk away with ANY of those amazing builds if I saw them at my local music store!

Rabbitz
06-09-2015, 11:54 AM
At the end of the day any judging is subjective and those who run the competition get to apply their thoughts/beliefs to the outcome.

I simply prefer the plain no logo look, and in this case I also didn't want to hide the grain.

This guitar is unlikely to ever see a shop, nor is it ever likely to leave the lounge room, so it is all a bit moot. I am well pleased with it, it is now stable, holds tune and sounds better than I can do justice to.

To be honest it won't even make "Garage Band" status.

Frankly, to sit in the rack and occasionally make some noise is why I built it.

Cheers.

stan
06-09-2015, 12:17 PM
well said Gav

top work everyone
each month GOTM comes up with some very cool stuff, some functional, some very custom, but all awesome in their own way
this month is no exception, well done all

Barge you've, deservedly, done it again, super top shelf custom awesomeness: the guitar you didn't give up on paid off

adam
06-09-2015, 03:47 PM
Guys, I should have pointed out that one of the judges, as part of his (very considered) feedback added a "genre" of music where he thought he would see the guitar in question. So, his "New New Wave", "Jazz Club", "Garage Band", etc comments were just his thoughts on where that guitar might be at home. I thought it was a really nice touch.

However, I think without giving you this context his comments could have been misconstrued. Apologies, I was in a bit of a rush and there were 9 entries x 6 judges.

Rabbitz
06-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Sorry Adam, but even with the context "Garage Band" is pretty insulting.

I guess Cash Converters is a suitable place to find such things...

*shrug*

I'll know better next time.

Tonyewen
06-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Well earned win Barge - that's one classy axe.

To the judges, thanks for the feedback. It's certainly been a learning process and I'm already in the "pre-emptive persuasion" phase of my next project. I'm torn between doing a blue LP or a red MM4. More a matter of which one to build first though lol

Arzi
06-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Hi

I also thank the judges for the feedback and I'm planning and scheduling the stages of my next one. It's good to know what the judges are looking for - haven't read the comments so thoroughly in the past months since this was my first entry. It also keeps from cutting corners on my next build and really focus on what I'm doing. Gotta improve my work.

Tonyewen; I'm building a MMB-4 in red next - was this your plan also? Would be fun to build at the same time.

jarrod
06-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Wow I thought that all the guitars this month showed incredible talent in the build and finish process. In my honest opinion people if a suggestion of a logo is mentioned it is only a suggestion and points are not removed from myself for that. How ever a big one I have noticed which does affect grading IMO is the setting up of the guitar. Just so you do know things like not setting up the intonation before you enter the competition is a little like entering a car in a competition that wont start. This comment is to encourage people to learn via the video's etc.... on how to make your guitar to it's possible best look and best to play. these kits make a fantastic guitar that you would be happy to take to a gig providing they are set up well and unfortunately we can tell just by looking at the guitar if they aren't. Arzi even as a custom builder I am also always looking to improve my work and I can assure you so do the seriously professional builders.
Rabbitz we don't discuss who has said what so we don't know each others comments but feel rest assured your build was a bloody nice looking guitar that impressed the whole forum. But after reading the suggested comment I think it was supposed to be a compliment to music style rather then how it may have come across.
It was a tough month with some serious competition so when incredible builds are hard to compare to each other we have to start looking very closely and start to nit pick to separate them. The nit picks may seem like minor things to the builder and that is a fair assumption , but hey how else can we separate so many great builds.

Arzi
06-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Hi

My point was only to say that there' always something that can be improved - in everything we do. With every build we learn new things and the next one will be easier or somehow different. After all I'm making these for myself and no one else so whatever the result I'm the one who should be pleased. This friendly competition is a nice bonus that makes me try just a bit harder to achieve what I'm aiming for.

And everyone who enters or doesn't is a winner for they have made a unique instrument with their own hands. Not alot of people out there who have done it - I can't think of anyone I know except my father in law who did one in the 70's. And I know a bunch of professional musicians (I'm not one).

Brendan
06-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Jarrod - spot on. With guitars of this level, it often to me comes down to one or two minor things between the very best guitars. The bar has gotten that high.

Rabbitz - your call on the logo - it's your guitar and it needs to look how you want it.

Pest - wasn't a comment directed at you forgetting a TRC - Gav was implying that he didn't want to be reminded that the only reason he lost to Wokks on a very early GOTM was that he didn't put a truss rod cover on his guitar - viz the only judge (judging was different early in) deemed it wasn't complete. (Ooops - maybe I wasn't meant to say that ;) - sorry Gav).

keloooe
06-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Ah thanks for the fill in Bman! Haha yeah I remember the TRC decider..... *giggle*

bargeloobs
07-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Wow talk about blown away!! With the quality of the builds this time round literally any of the builders could have come away with a win. I'm picking it must have been a nightmare for the judges trying to whittle down a winner.
Thanks to everyone for the kind words as well as a HUUUGE thanks to the judges for taking the time to give out some really great feedback.
Beautiful work by all who entered, you should all be proud.

Island_Moose
07-09-2015, 04:54 AM
Wow...the FS-1 is complete, and I'm waiting for a fine day to photograph it...but now I'm afraid...I don't handle criticism well. :)

stan
07-09-2015, 07:02 AM
Wow...the FS-1 is complete, and I'm waiting for a fine day to photograph it...but now I'm afraid...I don't handle criticism well. :)

enter anyway mate.
it's not so much criticism as critique.
our builds are very personal, so it may seem a bit cutting, but having been here since before the first GOTMs were awarded, I assure you the judges only concern is to sort the better from the best and to help you build the best guitar you can.

Also go back and read some of the judgements and see if there is anything you can do to improve your axe before you submit it.

jarrod
07-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Island Moose..
Don't fear the Reeper,we are not here to pick your beloved axe too bits. We are more here too point out the things that make a great guitar a special guitar so your next build can say " find fault with this one fella's".
You have no idea how hard it is to pick a winner when really you want to pick them all up and play them. The biggest thing I enjoy about GOTM is seeing people achieve what they didn't think they could. So many new builders are suddenly on there second and third builds and are producing shop quality instruments that they never thought they could.

pablopepper
07-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Yeah, it's all a bit of fun. There is nothing at stake, really (a bit of pride maybe). I like to enter to get uninhibited feedback on my builds. At the end of the day, no one else gets to play the guitar, so the judgement is purely aesthetic and as we all know taste is subjective. As long as you are happy with the result you have achieved, that's all that really matters.

Brendan
07-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Agree with Pablo and Jarrod - ultimately, we can't judge the two most important things - sound and is it something you want to play more than any of your other axes - we can only go on looks - we can give sound a go - hence a couple of intonation comments, but ultimately the reason we make guitars is for our own fun - if we score well in a GOTM then...

Island_Moose
07-09-2015, 08:18 AM
To be fair, you're right, I'm going back tonight to address what is currently a fairly mundane truss rod hole.

Fretworn
07-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Congrats Bargey!

Gavin1393
07-09-2015, 04:48 PM
It's certainly worthwhile going back in time and looking at the quality of the builds as they have progressed through the months. Wokka has been the serial entrant missing out on only a handful of months since the inception of GOTM. Some enforced because he won the previous month. Then the game got really tough when Andyport arrived on the scene and delivered quality not seen before on GOTM. This was followed up by Jarrod's sensational finishes (which look even better in the flesh/wood) and scored full marks with most of the judging panel. Coming up against Bargie or Gav Turner in a comp is tough, but anyone can win it. That's what makes it fun to take on these top quality builders...and someone like Woks is probably 'handicapped' somewhat in the minds of the judges because we expect a high standard from him anyways...

wokkaboy
07-09-2015, 04:53 PM
haha thats it Gav the standard keeps rising every month.

Gavin1393
07-09-2015, 05:19 PM
haha thats it Gav the standard keeps rising every month.

You are a legend dude!

Tonyewen
07-09-2015, 06:23 PM
One thing I'e learned this weekend - when it comes to intonation there's no substitute for a really accurate tuner. The one I'd used was 25 years old and just didn't work as well as I thought.

jarrod
07-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Yes Tony a good tuner is a must for a good set up.

Fretworn
08-09-2015, 10:44 AM
One thing I'e learned this weekend - when it comes to intonation there's no substitute for a really accurate tuner. The one I'd used was 25 years old and just didn't work as well as I thought.

Preferably one with a needle, rather than just a few LEDs.

Tonyewen
08-09-2015, 03:13 PM
While the old one does have a needle, it's accuracy is not what it use. I'm sticking with Garageband for the next build.