PDA

View Full Version : How to remove thick Sand and Seal

Swinging Beef
10-08-2015, 09:32 AM
While Im waiting on the final bits of bling to arrive fropm other vendors for the GR-ST1, my current project is not from this company.

Ive acquired a basketcase budget bass guitar and Im trying to remove a hard, thick white poly finish.

But underneath the white layer, there is a very thick amber coloured gak that I beleive is sand and seal.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove this?
It comes off in places with a heat gun and a scraper, but not others.

pablopepper
10-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Sanding sealer. I had to deal with it while refinishing my epiphone. Way harder to get through than the paint. Use 80 grit sandpaper.

dave.king1
10-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Try some citrus based paint stripper, I used it to strip the PBH build back to bare timber and have also discovered that it takes the powder coat off aluminium windows ( oops )

It's also water soluble so a good rub down with a wet rag afterwards and left in a warm dry place for a few days to dry out, around the house I've painted and stained over the stripped items with no ill effects

The stuff I used came from the green shed

Swinging Beef
10-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Try some citrus based paint stripper, I used it to strip the PBH build back to bare timber and have also discovered that it takes the powder coat off aluminium windows ( oops )

It's also water soluble so a good rub down with a wet rag afterwards and left in a warm dry place for a few days to dry out, around the house I've painted and stained over the stripped items with no ill effects

The stuff I used came from the green shed

Water soluble? The Citrus stripper I assume you mean.
The undercoat looks like it could protect you from Kryptonite.

dingobass
10-08-2015, 12:25 PM
80 grit, elbow grease and please wear a dust mask!
That gunk is toxic.....

Swinging Beef
18-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Urk....
Ill keep at it.
:(