PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

dave.king1
08-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Just done the upgrade to WIN 10 Pro from WIN 8.1 Pro and it went pretty much as claimed, I had to reset the audio output default for the speakers and reload my printer drivers but that's it.

It appears to startup quicker than 8.1 and the annoying intermittent jerky mouse appears to be resolved as well.

Over the weekend I plan to have a bit of a play around with Reaper so we'll see if the ASIO drivers are still in place but once again no biggie to sort if they aren't.

It too about 6 hours to back up the important stuff on the C drive ( which hasn't bee required because nothing was lost ) and about 1 hour for the upgrade.

All in all a happy camper so far.

Remember: WIN 10 does report keystrokes, browsing preferences, location services, voice recognition & facial recognition back to MS so make sure you turn these off in preferences

keloooe
08-08-2015, 09:34 AM
I'm on Win 10 too Dave, very nice OS, I think of it as 8.1 for desktops! Upgrading on my SSD, piece of cake, about 45 minutes to upgrade (I used the HDD for Win 10 to make sure it was all good first before going to the SSD) and everything so far seems to work nicely!

Oh and a pair of really nice programs that make everything so much easier... Get something called PatchMyPC, it is a free program that when you run it, updates as many applications as possible automatically and allows you to install some other bits of software that are also free. One of these is called Driver Booster which is similar to PMPC but for your drivers. Get them both and run them at the same time overnight guys, really does help with keeping things up to date!

JoeSmith
08-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Same here and liking it so far. The only problem I had was, as I also use my Line6 XU2 POD as my main sound output for all my sounds but lost all windows sounds like media players and internet stuff like Youtube and so on, with the UX2.

The fix was I had to set the sound setting to 16bit 48000Hz. Now it works like a charm and all my Program's still work. Just a heads up as its the only way to get the Line 6 UX2 working with win 10 sounds.

DrNomis_44
08-08-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm running Windows 10 Home on my new Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop which I recently bought, the initial upgrade from Windows 8.1 Home 64Bit to Windows 10 Home 64Bit seemed to go okay, but I started getting system-freezing so I tried doing a clean install after backing up my wanted data onto a 2Tb Seagate External Hard Drive, I had to download the special installation media tool that Microsoft made available, after creating a Windows 10 installer DVD and doing a clean install, I found that I needed to download some driver software, for some strange reason it didn't go too well so I decided to do another clean install, I ended up doing two clean installs before I finally got everything working properly, I think what mucked things up for me was me not letting Windows update download the needed drivers rather than downloading them from the Dell website, the driver from the Dell website that caused the most trouble was for the integrated NVidia graphics, for some reason it wouldn't work properly....still scratching my head about that, funny that cause the other Dell drivers worked fine, anyway, my Laptop has been running Windows 10 Home happily since last week, and I'm happy with it so far, all my music-making software seems to run fine, I did run into some issues with Cubase LE 7 And Cubase Elements 8 so I decided to un-install them and just use Reaper till Steinberg fix the issues, FL Studio runs good, Reason 5 runs great, Reaper also runs great, Ableton Live runs well too.

Haven't experienced any issues with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface or the driver software so far.

I found that I had to delete the windows.old folder off my Laptop's hard drive, since it was taking up about 500Gb of disk space, after I did the last clean install.

One thing I have noticed about Windows 10 is that it's a lot zippier (faster) than Windows 8.1 was, especially when booting-up, I'm really liking the new start menu and I think Microsoft have gotten things right in Windows 10, been seriously thinking about buying a copy of the retail version when it's released.

kimball492
08-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Yeah running windows 10 so far upgrade went super smoothly . I like it seems to have given audio apps a boost . I'm using it on my Mac and windows PC too .Dr Nomis my buddy did same as you bypassed the download latest drivers and had similar issues. A test on pro tools experts website say that Pro Tools Runs so much better in windows 10 environment.

I use UAD FireWire plugins and they still verify it for use on windows 7.1 that's software 6 and a bit years old . It's absolutely Ludicrous Apple sneeze and they do new software updates.

Dissapointed couldn't get Cortana to work

DrNomis_44
08-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Yeah running windows 10 so far upgrade went super smoothly . I like it seems to have given audio apps a boost . I'm using it on my Mac and windows PC too .Dr Nomis my buddy did same as you bypassed the download latest drivers and had similar issues. A test on pro tools experts website say that Pro Tools Runs so much better in windows 10 environment.

I use UAD FireWire plugins and they still verify it for use on windows 7.1 that's software 6 and a bit years old . It's absolutely Ludicrous Apple sneeze and they do new software updates.

Dissapointed couldn't get Cortana to work

I'm guessing that Microsoft probably did a lot of optimizing of a lot of the background processes in Windows 10, Cortana isn't working on my Laptop at the moment, since I live in Australia, it'll probably be a while till Australian Windows 10 users get a working version of Cortana, for the time being it's not really an issue for me.

dave.king1
08-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Before going down this road I listened to the comentary by some serious corporate admins over on TDPRI and their advice was to make sure all drivers were update via manufacturer website, backup everything and then and only then do the OS upgrade.

No issues apart from reorganising my audio path and reinstalling the printer drivers, all appears to be a bit faster snd smoother thsn 8.1 on an i5 processor with truck loads of ram

kimball492
14-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Yeah I'm loving Windows 10 so far no problems
Samsung have built new 16 TB SSD Drives $5000 To 7000.00 lol

kimball492
18-08-2015, 03:18 AM
I've not had it happen to me as of yet , as I don't have FAT 32 formatted SSD or Harddrives.But supposedly Windows 10 corrupts Audio files on harddrives formatted with FAT 32 .
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2015/8/15/problems-with-windows-10-corrupting-wav-files-on-fat32-formatted-media

DrNomis_44
18-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Seems I spoke a bit too soon, just had to do another clean install of Windows 10, here's why...it started off with the Windows 10 start menu not launching properly when I clicked on the start menu icon on the taskbar, I got the little coloured ring and then...nothing, I found that the notifications icon next to the speaker icon behaved the same way too, I then tried going online and looking for a fix for it, I tried the fix and it seemed to work, then a few days later the same thing happened, I tried the fix again but got a few error messages, and what's more, clicking on the speaker icon wouldn't launch the volume control, then I noticed that I had no working internet browser (neither Edge, nor Internet Explorer would work properly even though I had internet credit), I couldn't even find Windows Update in control panel, so I ended up having no choice but to do a complete clean install just to get Windows 10 working properly again.....hmmmmmm....

JoeSmith
18-08-2015, 11:16 PM
The best way to find thing like windows update or screen saver settings is just to type what you want in the "Search the web and windows" box and it brings up a list of things.

DrNomis_44
18-08-2015, 11:25 PM
The best way to find thing like windows update or screen saver settings is just to type what you want in the "Search the web and windows" box and it brings up a list of things.

I tried that but it kept coming up with a "No Result" error, and when it did produce a list the item I was looking for couldn't be found, so I ended up having to do the clean re-install, which fixed the problems completely, hopefully it stays that way.

kimball492
02-09-2015, 07:16 PM
Dr Nomis do you think this is all because you didn't download the initial win 10 drivers ?

DrNomis_44
02-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Dr Nomis do you think this is all because you didn't download the initial win 10 drivers ?

Probably not,since all the proper drivers for my laptop were downloaded/installed after I had activated Windows 10 online, I checked everything in device manager and it all looked good, the best I can come up with is that some files probably got corrupted when I experienced a system crash .

I think I have things back to normal now so hopefully my laptop stays working properly....touchwood

kimball492
02-09-2015, 10:44 PM
Let's hope so goodluck

DrNomis_44
03-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Let's hope so goodluck

Cheers, me too, I did a complete clean install of Windows 10 a few days ago (used my Windows 10 installation DVD to wipe the HDD clean and do a complete HDD reformat), so far it seems to be alright.

kimball492
04-09-2015, 12:05 AM
Great News DrNomis

keloooe
04-09-2015, 05:59 AM
used my Windows 10 installation DVD

Get with the times Nomis! USB 3.0 drives all the way! :D

DrNomis_44
04-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Get with the times Nomis! USB 3.0 drives all the way! :D

Lol....see, I'm an "Old School" guy at heart.

DrNomis_44
14-10-2015, 05:22 PM
I just did the upgrade to Windows 10 on my desktop PC which was running Windows 7 Home Premium a couple of days ago, strangely enough, everything went a lot smoother then it did with my laptop, have had no major issues with Windows 10 on my Desktop PC so far, no lockups or BSODs that other people have complained about so touchwood.

As a side-note:

I've finally bit the bullet and got myself connected to Australia's NBN system, my ISP is a company called Aussie Broadband, before I got myself connected to the NBN I had to plug in a 4G Wireless Broadband USB dongle to get online with my desktop PC or laptop, so, what prompted the move to the NBN?, basically it works out cheaper for me, with my USB dongle it was costing me $180.00 for 12Gb download/fortnight with Telstra but with Aussie Broadband it's only costing me $75.00 for 250Gb download/month (I'm on a 24 month plan), I did the sums and found that the NBN is only costing me about $03.30/Gb, as a bonus Aussie Broadband gave me double the data allowance for the first month which means 500Gb, yeah I could have stuck with Telstra but I needed to have some form of primary ID to even get signed up, whereas Aussie Broadband only needed my credit card details so they could bill me, Aussie Broadband are an Australian company, so far I've been very happy with my new NBN internet service.

keloooe
14-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Mhmm after using Windows 10 since the update came out I'm really enjoying it, definitely a very nice OS, MUCH better than 8.1...

DrNomis_44
14-10-2015, 07:50 PM
Mhmm after using Windows 10 since the update came out I'm really enjoying it, definitely a very nice OS, MUCH better than 8.1...

for me, Windows 10 seems to be a lot more intuitive than Windows 8.1 was, in Windows 8.1 it didn't make a lot of sense to me to have all the app-icons on the start menu screen when I could put my most used apps on the taskbar for quicker access, I guess I'm too used to how Windows 7 worked, but with Windows 10 I'm happy.

A lot of the negative criticisms of Windows 8/8.1 were to do with the start menu.

Update:

Just found out that Microsoft are scheduled to release Threshold 2 on Tuesday the 10th of November next week, Threshold 2 is a big downloadable update for Windows 10 that will add brand new features and tweaks to Microsoft's latest operating system, I'm not sure exactly how big the file size will be but I am so glad that I managed to get myself connected to Australia's NBN system in time so that I would have plenty of data download capacity so I wouldn't end up having to pay too much in recharge vouchers.

Update:

The supposed November 10th 2015 release date has come and gone, apparently it was actually supposed to be released on the 12th November, but so far I haven't seen hide nor hair of the Threshold 2 update, and it's 11:21pm at the moment so in about an hour's time it'll be the 13th November.

DrNomis_44
14-11-2015, 10:36 AM
I finally did the upgrade to Windows 10 Threshold 2 (the previous install was Threshold 1) last night, everything went really smoothly without any serious glitches, first impressions is that the latest major update to Windows 10 is a very zippy OS, I have encountered none of the issues that other people have complained about, this new installation works and seems to be really stable, what's more, I didn't have to go and download any drivers from the Dell website, Device Manager is reporting that everything is operating correctly right off the bat, one of the new features of Windows 10 Threshold 2 is Cortana, you can think of Cortana as being a virtual personal assistant, ask it anything you like and it will come up with answers, at the moment I don't have Cortana fully set up but am working on it.

The updated version of Microsoft's Edge Internet Browser seems to work really well, I'm still on early days with the new OS though.

All in all, I think that Windows 10 Threshold 2 is a much better OS than either Windows 8 or 8.1 was, big improvement, gone is the Windows 8 start menu that took up the whole screen and needed clicking on the Desktop icon tile just to get to the Desktop, it has been totally replaced by Windows 10's more familiar start menu, and Windows 10 Threshold 2 boots straight to the Desktop.

kimball492
18-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Yep my Windows 10 update went very smoothly. Best operating system Microsoft have done so far. I love it

DrNomis_44
25-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Apparently the most recent reports on the internet have said that you can no longer download the Windows 10 Threshold 2 ISO using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool since Microsoft have "pulled" it from their server, and have made it a Windows Update download only.

DrNomis_44
26-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Update:

From what I've read in the latest Windows 10 news updates on the Internet, the reason why Microsoft recently pulled the Windows 10 Threshold 2 update and clean installation ISO file from their server seems to have been because of a major update bug which reset some users privacy settings when updating to Threshold 2, more specifically the Threshold 2 update hijacked users privacy settings, apparently Microsoft have admitted that the bug existed and have come clean and fixed it, fresh installs have been fixed too so that they are easier to install, here's hoping that Microsoft have sorted everything out because I really think that Windows 10 is a great OS and definitely deserves a chance at succeeding.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/25/windows_10_download_explained/

DrNomis_44
13-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Update:

Microsoft just released a cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1511 Threshold 2 in the form of KB3124263, it's mostly some security updates, it brings Windows 10 Threshold 2 up to OS Build 10586.63.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-build-1058663-now-available-pcs-download

DrNomis_44
20-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Update:

Apparently Microsoft are going to be releasing another major update for Windows 10, called Redstone, sometime this year, but are delaying some features:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-reportedly-delaying-some-windows-10-redstone-update-features

dave.king1
20-01-2016, 05:35 PM
Update:

Apparently Microsoft are going to be releasing another major update for Windows 10, called Redstone, sometime this year, but are delaying some features:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-reportedly-delaying-some-windows-10-redstone-update-features

I'll keep eye on this on TDPRI and get back there are a few members who are very close to Redmond

DrNomis_44
18-02-2016, 12:35 AM
Currently I'm on Windows 10 Threshold 2 OS Build 10586.104, ever since I upgraded to Threshold 2 I have had virtually no major issues so far, no BSODs, no major system freezes, etc, very much loving Windows 10, will be interesting to see how Redstone performs, and all the new features it'll add.

I remember playing around with Windows 3.11, remember that OS?, I would get the occasional system crash, I also have fond memories of Windows 98SE and still remember some of it's quirks and foibles, I lost count of the number of times I had to download a certain .dll file because it was missing for some reason, do you remember Windows 98SE's Disk Checker that sometimes ran if a boot up failed for some reason?

Windows XP had it's own quirks and foibles too, I remember having to do the .dll registering routine on numerous occasions just to get some things to work.

DrNomis_44
30-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Just came across this webpage about Redstone, the next major update for Windows 10, apparently Microsoft are going to start releasing it, starting in July this year:

http://mspoweruser.com/windows-10-redstone-wave-1-coming-july/

Dedman
30-03-2016, 07:13 PM
When a company the size of Windows wants to give me something free, then gets really insistent that I take it I ask "Why?"
On Win 7Pro, I see no reason to change. It works.

dave.king1
30-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Redstone, a fancy name for a service pack ( according to a Redmond dude )

headcaver
04-04-2016, 01:27 AM
Took ages, but went from 7 to 8.1 then to 10. Wouldnt let me install 10 over 7 cos it said my legit win7 was not legit.. wtf! So, i install a fresh pirate win7, and that comes up clean! Yeah.. Anyway, the old win7-64 drivers work fine with my tascam fw-1884 in Windows 10. Just had to change the firewire card to a legacy driver requiring me to edit the BCD to not check for driver signing at boot. Otherwise, its a long winded effort to restart and choose a special boot option every time!
Installing sonar x3, waves, and other misc vsts has been a chore but i got there. Thank you pirate bay!

DrNomis_44
04-04-2016, 02:10 AM
Took ages, but went from 7 to 8.1 then to 10. Wouldnt let me install 10 over 7 cos it said my legit win7 was not legit.. wtf! So, i install a fresh pirate win7, and that comes up clean! Yeah.. Anyway, the old win7-64 drivers work fine with my tascam fw-1884 in Windows 10. Just had to change the firewire card to a legacy driver requiring me to edit the BCD to not check for driver signing at boot. Otherwise, its a long winded effort to restart and choose a special boot option every time!
Installing sonar x3, waves, and other misc vsts has been a chore but i got there. Thank you pirate bay!

Geez, that is odd, my Desktop PC was running a Legit and fully-licensed installation of Windows Home Premium 64Bit, which was installed using a Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit Installation DVD, before I did the upgrade to Windows 10, and I didn't get anything like that, I had practically no issues with the upgrade.

My Desktop PC is running Windows 10 Threshold 2 64Bit, my Laptop was originally running Windows 8.1 but I ended up upgrading it to Windows 10 last year when Microsoft released it in late July, first time I did the upgrade it was straight on top of Windows 8.1 but I had some issues, then I tried a complete clean-install which resolved most of the issues, as soon as I did the upgrade to Threshold 2, the issues were fixed and stayed fixed, it's been quite a few months since I last did a clean-install of Windows 10 on my Laptop and both my computers have worked perfectly ever since.

DrNomis_44
13-04-2016, 06:25 AM
Update:

Microsoft have just released a new cumulative update (KB3147458) for windows 10 running on PCs, this update contains the following fixes and updates the OS Build to OS Build No. 10586.218:

* Improved reliability for Internet Explorer 11, .NET Framework, wireless LAN, Microsoft Edge, Windows Update, logon, Bluetooth, network connectivity, map apps, video playback, Cortana, USB, Windows Explorer, and Narrator.

* Fixed issue with connectivity of USB devices until OS restart.

* Improved discoverability of printers when a device resumes from sleep.

* Fixed issues with lock screen.

* Support for visual voicemail on dual SIM phones.

* Fixed issue with audio playback using Groove music and other music apps on a phone.

* Fixed issue with revised daylight savings time.

* Fixed additional issues with shutdown delays, Narrator, Cortana, roaming data usage, buying apps in the Store, video playback, facial recognition, Bluetooth pairing, Microsoft Edge, logon, Internet Explorer 11, Live Tile updates, .NET Framework, and Microsoft Installer (MSI).

* Improved security for CSRSS to address security feature bypass.

* Fixed additional security issues with Security Account Manager Remote Protocol, HTTP.sys, secondary logon, Microsoft Graphics component, .NET Framework, CSRSS, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer 11.

Dedman
13-04-2016, 07:48 AM
Something I've learned in the past 15yrs dealing with computers...when something is "free" YOU are the product. Your info is being sold. Now some people may not have an issue with that but when you run a business from a computer it becomes very important. Windows 10 is a huge spyware package, yes you can change all those settings BUT by the time you do that it's too late "no file left behind" Windows 10 already has everything they wanted, why do you think they are set to "on" as default?. Yes Windows 10 is free, but how long before you get a bill for a service pack that must be installed or Windows will cease to operate?
Paranoid? maybe. Experienced? Yes.

DrNomis_44
13-04-2016, 08:17 AM
Something I've learned in the past 15yrs dealing with computers...when something is "free" YOU are the product. Your info is being sold. Now some people may not have an issue with that but when you run a business from a computer it becomes very important. Windows 10 is a huge spyware package, yes you can change all those settings BUT by the time you do that it's too late "no file left behind" Windows 10 already has everything they wanted, why do you think they are set to "on" as default?. Yes Windows 10 is free, but how long before you get a bill for a service pack that must be installed or Windows will cease to operate?
Paranoid? maybe. Experienced? Yes.

That's actually not much of an issue for me because technically, I'm not using my computers to run a business, I use them for running my music making software, running my games software, browsing the internet, or watching movies, I remember paying $260.00 for my Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Installation DVDs, so getting Windows 10 free was a bonus for me, my Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed on it, but I had to pay about $807.00 for the Laptop itself, so technically Windows 8.1 cost me about $807.00, having being used to Windows 7, I didn't like Windows 8.1 much, my biggest issue was the Metro User interface taking up the whole screen on bootup, to get to the desktop I had to look through all the Metro icons and find the small desktop icon, now, with Windows 10 it boots straight to the desktop, and I am actually liking the new start menu, I'm finding Windows 10 a lot more intuitive than 8.1 was.

Having said that, my attitude is basically "Each to their own", not everyone is going to like Windows 10 and they should just continue using what works for them, after all, it'd be a very boring world to live in if everyone used the exact same things in their day to day lives, wouldn't it?

For sure, and I agree, Microsoft shouldn't be aggressively forcing people to install their latest operating system on their computers, people have a basic right as humans to use whatever operating system they like, in whatever way they see fit, and I think Microsoft are forgetting that, considering that each User has paid their hard-earned money for their computer hardware and are technically the owners of the hardware.

kimball492
13-04-2016, 08:27 AM
I think any operating system these days collects data regarding purchases, be it movies, music viewing data. And in truth Apple are by far the worse. I use both macs and pcs I dislike how much control Apple has over what I watch and listen too. And dislike iTunes immensely. It's a big brutish piece of software that's outdated and clumsy. I actually find win 10 faster cleaner and recording with it much better. Apples El Capitan is clunky and slow.. I Love my iPad and iPhone but dislike Apples clunky computer operating system.

DrNomis_44
13-04-2016, 08:42 AM
I'd love to see a day where both Microsoft and Apple start respecting the basic human rights of all their customers who buy and use their software, yeah I know...a pipe dream.

I also use, and run Apple software on my old Dual 500Mhz CPU Macintosh G4 Power PC, so I'm not just a PC User.

Sure, I could change over to running a Linux OS on my Desktop PC, Laptop, and my G4 Mac, but, I have had lots of issues with the Linux Distros I have tried on my hardware, giving me some major headaches, some Linux Distros installed okay, but ended up running a bit unstable, some installed but refused to boot even though my hardware was compatible, some wouldn't even install at all, some installed fine but needed a device driver so that I could get online to download the needed drivers for my USB wireless modem so I could get online....think about that one for a sec, I basically had no internet access so that I couldn't get online to download the necessary third-party drivers for my USB modem, which was the only modem I had, it worked fine in Windows though, just not in Linux, talk about a major stymie.

Since I experienced no such issues with Windows, I decided to stick with it.

I do happen to have another spare Mac G4 Power PC, which I might try running a Linux OS on later on some time, now that I'm connected to the NBN, might see if I can get the G4 to connect to my Wireless Router because both my G4 Macs have a a wireless modem built in, don't know if they can connect to the Wireless Router though, worth a try anyway just to find out.

My Mac G4 with the Dual-500Mhz CPU is running OS X Panther which is the only one that's compatible with my copy of ProTools LE 6.4, yes, I know it's a very outdated version of ProTools, but it's all I have at the moment because I just don't have the money to upgrade to the latest version, so I have to work with what I've got, my old Digi001 Audio Interface is incompatible with the latest versions of ProTools.

Dedman
13-04-2016, 09:01 AM
I hear you on I Tunes Kimball, I only installed it for the first time recently. Prices were high compared to just buying the CD (for the kind of stuff I'd buy) search was useless, so I un-installed it. I love Bandcamp, I've discovered so much good stuff there.
I'm probably the only person on this forum who doesn't own a mobile phone or a tablet, you should see how upset some places get when you can't give a mobile number....."But I HAVE to have your mobile number!" fine put yours in there LOL.

kimball492
14-04-2016, 01:02 AM
Dedman you obviously have no need for iPads or phones if you've not needed them till now lol.

kimball492
14-06-2016, 12:04 AM
Windows Repair Disk Great Utility
http://lifehacker.com/this-all-in-one-system-rescue-toolkit-has-just-the-righ-1780472869?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_face book&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

DrNomis_44
15-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Windows Repair Disk Great Utility
http://lifehacker.com/this-all-in-one-system-rescue-toolkit-has-just-the-righ-1780472869?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_face book&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Just tried clicking on the link to the website where the software could be downloaded from, looks like the website is down for some reason.

wokkaboy
15-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Hey Doc you are alive mate, haven't seen you post anything for a while so was going to send out the Where's Doc (similar to Where's Wally haha) search party haha
Actually Doc if you wore a red and white striped beanie I reckon you would look like Wally !

that link worked for me Doc, maybe your browser has blocked the site for some reason ?

DrNomis_44
15-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Hey Doc you are alive mate, haven't seen you post anything for a while so was going to send out the Where's Doc (similar to Where's Wally haha) search party haha
Actually Doc if you wore a red and white striped beanie I reckon you would look like Wally !

that link worked for me Doc, maybe your browser has blocked the site for some reason ?

It's possible, I'll try disabling my browser's Ad Blocker and see if that works mate.

Haha..maybe I should see if I can buy a Red/White striped beanie from one of my local shops, I could then take a pic of myself wearing it and use the pic as a new forum avatar, been thinking of changing my avatar but haven't figured out what I'd change it to.

On another note, a mate of mine helped me take my LP Studio, and my PRS SE Custom 24 to a local Luthier in Darwin to have some work done on them, the LP Studio is getting a new Bone Nut installed on it and the PRS is getting routed for a Floyd Rose trem.

Hmmmmm...turning-off my browser's Ad Blocker made no difference, might try a different browser.

My mate gave me a Solid State Peavey Renown Solo amp that had been converted to a head, the thing supposedly puts out 160 Watts of Audio Power, anyway, I'm looking at building a 2 X 12 speaker cab for it.

wokkaboy
15-06-2016, 09:39 AM
that would be cool Doc a Where's Doc new avatar haha

sounds good the upgrades on ur LP and PRS.
Wow 160 watts will blow the windows out, can't wait to see the speaker cab you build for it !

only 150 post to Overlord mate !

DrNomis_44
15-06-2016, 09:43 AM
that would be cool Doc a Where's Doc new avatar haha

sounds good the upgrades on ur LP and PRS.
Wow 160 watts will blow the windows out, can't wait to see the speaker cab you build for it !

only 150 post to Overlord mate !

Lol...I'll keep on boxing-on, the Speaker Cab build project should be fun, my mate who gave me the Renown was telling me about a Pensioner Workshop located in Darwin where I could do the build, apparently it only costs $3.00 to do some work in the place.

I'll see if I can post a pic of the Renown in the Non-PBG gear section for those interested in checking it out.

wokkaboy
15-06-2016, 10:01 AM
yeah cool Doc would love to see the amp turned to amp head. Also sounds good $3 to use the workshop. When you test it out don't turn it up too loud or the pensioners may have a heart attack !

DrNomis_44
15-06-2016, 10:16 AM
yeah cool Doc would love to see the amp turned to amp head. Also sounds good $3 to use the workshop. When you test it out don't turn it up too loud or the pensioners may have a heart attack !

Since I'm also a pensioner that includes me too lol, I hope I don't have a heart attack when I try the amp out with it's new speaker cab....j/k, the Renown has a clean channel and a distortion channel, and also reverb too, the channels and reverb are foot-switchable, and my mate kindly gave me the foot pedal for the Renown too, I have since customized the amp a bit by putting some new knobs on it since a good few of the originals were missing, there's a total of 14 control knobs on the amp.

wokkaboy
15-06-2016, 10:20 AM
sounds good Doc, keen to see some pics of this amp head now !

Fretworn
15-06-2016, 11:06 AM
I'm probably the only person on this forum who doesn't own a mobile phone or a tablet, you should see how upset some places get when you can't give a mobile number....."But I HAVE to have your mobile number!" fine put yours in there LOL.

http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/bigpic/nokia-c2-01-ofic.jpg
I have this portable time-telling device/camera. I understand it can also be used for making phone calls and "text" messages. Mine is definitely not in that pristine condition though.

wokkaboy
15-06-2016, 11:10 AM
haha Fretty that phone should be in an antique museum mate !

kimball492
15-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Seems to be working for me to Doc.
Here's some other download links
Magnet download https://www.copy.com/s/t%3A1dl19tQMqCIVTrly%3Bp%3A%252FAvid%2520Upgrades% 3Boid%3A44817

Torrent file http://paul.is-a-geek.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/AiO-SRT_2016-05-15.iso_.torrent

Googledrive https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8-rxrBBCBKuUGRPWDFGRFVlb1k

32 bit Version https://download.transmissionbt.com/files/transmission-2.92-x86.msi

64 bit version. https://download.transmissionbt.com/files/transmission-2.92-x64.msi

wokkaboy
15-06-2016, 01:35 PM
KB's IT tech support services (KBITTSS) on the case again well done KB

hey Doc if KB is unavailable for IT tech support just contact 1800 DB-HIT-IT-WITH-A-MASSIVE-HAMMER hahaha

EDIT on the plus side if DB's IT tech hotline is busy you already have his advice in the phone number hahha

kimball492
15-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Lol Woks is the service proving popular

wokkaboy
15-06-2016, 01:56 PM
haha KB, I think most customers of DB's IT tech support are very happy at releasing frustration but when they go to reboot or find the on/off switch isn't where it's supposed to be hahahha

dingobass
15-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Heres one I fixed the other day....

dingobass
15-06-2016, 02:29 PM
And one I am currently working on.

wokkaboy
15-06-2016, 02:38 PM
haha nice fixes there DB, but can I ask, how many customers come back for more advice ?

kimball492
15-06-2016, 02:40 PM
DB your computer skills are just boundless and legendary lol. Just one technical question, your preference for the rubber mallet instead of a metal one. Is this just giving the computer hope that it may survive the onslaught. Hannibal Lecktronic lol

dingobass
15-06-2016, 02:57 PM
It just happened to be the first hammer at hand..

kimball492
15-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Ok got it DB speed is of the essence lol

wokkaboy
15-06-2016, 04:08 PM
hey KB, the only time DB rushes a job is:
1) knock off and crack a beer
2) smash a PC with a hammer !
3) all of the above hahha

EDIT
4) turn off the TV when the Pies are getting flogged LOL

kimball492
16-06-2016, 11:42 PM
Lol Woks, Does DB do his masterpieces under the influence or not. Maybe both.

DrNomis_44
17-06-2016, 06:41 AM
http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/bigpic/nokia-c2-01-ofic.jpg
I have this portable time-telling device/camera. I understand it can also be used for making phone calls and "text" messages. Mine is definitely not in that pristine condition though.

That one looks very similar to my mobile phone, except mine's black in colour, it's a very old school Nokia, I do also have a Samsung Galaxy Y mobile phone too.

nDR01d
17-06-2016, 11:10 AM
I run Win10 on a separate partition for my kids (and my) games that aren't release on Linux. It has 16Gb RAM and an i5 processor. It currently runs Linux Mint 17.2 on the other partition. FYI, I've been running Linux since 2005 (Fedora Core 3, switched to Ubuntu Hardy Heron, 2008, switched to Mint in 2015). Here are some interesting stats for you:

TOTAL COST (2005-15) $0 - Linux is free and open source
TOTAL VIRUSES/MALWARE* - 0
TOTAL CUSTOMISATION - 100%

*There have been viruses etc. for Linux (however, not like those found on Windows or Apple), but I've never used antiviruses etc and I've never had any problems. I just use good, safe computer/internet practices ie: only download from those whom you trust etc.

I think these are the reasons why the worlds best computers (think super-computers, military's, stock exchanges etc.) run Linux and not Windows or Apple. So there are other options out there that are high quality, if you continue to beat your head against a wall with the two major players.

Dedman
17-06-2016, 12:32 PM
the main problem with Linux is that none of the programs I use run on it

nDR01d
18-06-2016, 12:25 PM
the main problem with Linux is that none of the programs I use run on it

Have you tried WINE? Also, there are plenty of alternatives out there eg: Libre Office instead of MS Office, GIMP instead of Photoshop etc.

Dedman
18-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Gimp is pretty basic at best, there are no industry standard 3D programs that run on Linux, or none that I feel like paying out the price of a used car for anyway( I think Maya does a Linux version) . I don't use office type apps at all . I'm a graphics guy. My weapon of choice is Cinema 4D. Of course I can only do a fraction of what it's capable of ,I'm self taught :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPJykVGXihA

dave.king1
18-06-2016, 09:44 PM
I think these are the reasons why the worlds best computers (think super-computers, military's, stock exchanges etc.) run Linux and not Windows or Apple. So there are other options out there that are high quality, if you continue to beat your head against a wall with the two major players.

Cisco telephony and networking solutions typically run Redhat Linux and so does the equivalent Alcatel kit.
( at least it did when I retired in mid 2014 )

Dedman
19-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Yea, if you are running custom written software Linux would be great, my biggest complaint has always been Windows is bloated with toys and gadgets that I don't want or ever will use, all I want is an operating system, not a "computing experience". I buy the Pro version hoping it won't have the toys but I fool myself every time. LOL

DrNomis_44
21-06-2016, 04:36 PM
I've tried a few Linux OSes in the past and have had mixed experiences with them, some refused to install properly for some unknown reason, some seemed to install properly but ran very slowly, or glitchy, some had minor driver, or internet connectivity, issues, and at least one needed me to download a driver for my old Telstra Wireless USB dongle so that I could get online to download the driver for said dongle, a kind of chicken-and-egg syndrome kind of thing (that was before I switched to the NBN, my Samsung Galaxy Y phone runs a Linux OS, I think it's an Android OS called Gingerbread, apparently it's actually a hacked version from what I've read on the internet, maybe to get it to install and run on the phone, been looking into seeing if I could install Windows 10 on it since Samsung no longer make Windows drivers for it, probably because it's discontinued or something.

keloooe
21-06-2016, 09:00 PM
So we have seen plenty of love for Windows and plenty of love for Linux.... Any other OSX fans apart from me? What sells it for me is just how productive I feel when using it, also factor in the machines that run it I can use for its FULL potential for semi-professional studio work and even some video / image editing. Plus there's the whole thing of being able to use Logic which from experience is the software setup I feel most comfortable working with.

kimball492
22-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Hey Kels I'm hoping with the new Sierra Mac OS it's slicker lighter faster. I just find it slow cumbersome. I think the last 3 operating systems have not been the best audio wise. Pro tools crashes on average in 4 hour session 2-3 times. I just wish they would stop with the nice interface updates and actually give me something underneath the pretty shop window that is fast. And the beach ball I hate that beach ball lol. When you consider that Apple no longer seem to be interested in the audio recording business and laid off some of there top guys that worked on Logic X. One other thing I dislike how quickly Apple stops supporting hardware. Example iPad 3 my wife's on the last update totally dumbed down slower opening a browser is painful. Why do they do this to make you buy the latest
iPad, as you start to believe it's inferior unworthy technology. I love my iPad use it everyday. I'd love the new iPad Pro but it's so overpriced it's silly. Nearly $1700 dollars for 128gb with no internal SD card slot. Doesn't stop me loving them. And I love my iPhone's too. fingers crossed the new OS will restore my faith lol. For $1700 dollars you could buy a decent i7 notebook with all the extra storage you'd need.

Dedman
23-06-2016, 06:42 AM
Kimball, you sound just like my mate that has a mastering studio, at one time he would hear no ill of Apple now it's usually said in the company of a string of swear words and More PC's are in his studio now than Apples.

DrNomis_44
04-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Microsoft's free Windows 10 offer is going to be ending on the 30th of this month, also, apparently they will be releasing the big Anniversary update for Windows 10 on the 2nd of August this year too, I'm definitely going to do the update since I have been really happy with my Windows 10 experience so far, I reckon it has to be Microsoft's best ever version of Windows, some people may not agree with me on that, but that's cool, all I know is that as an OS, Windows 10 works for me, it is far more familiar to me than Windows 8 was, I haven't had any of the issues I experienced with Windows Vista, it also doesn't have any of the issues Windows XP tended to suffer from (for example, I remember having to re-register certain .dll files to get Windows Media Player to work, sometimes the XP desktop would crash, go blank, and I'd have to resort to doing a re-start to fix things, and who can forget the dreaded BSOD whenever an attached device failed, or you had a faulty ram stick?), I've also lost count of the number of times I had to do an XP clean install.

DrNomis_44
03-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Hey everyone, I've just updated my DAW PC to the very latest version of Windows 10 which is the Anniversary Update that Microsoft have just released, so far everything has gone well and I am in the process of updating my laptop too.

wokkaboy
03-08-2016, 04:41 PM
good stuff Doc is it still free to upgrade to Windows 10 ?

DrNomis_44
03-08-2016, 05:26 PM
good stuff Doc is it still free to upgrade to Windows 10 ?

Yep, as long as you already have a previous install of Windows 10 on the computer's hard drive you can get the latest version of Windows 10 free, if not, you need to buy a copy of the install disk.

Microsoft stopped offering the previous version of Windows as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8,8.1 at the end of last month:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/28/12307466/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade

DrNomis_44
17-08-2016, 12:49 PM
So, after having updated to the Anniversary Update version of Windows 10, my experiences with it have been pretty good so far, I haven't experienced any of the issues that other users have been reporting on the internet, such as freezing when booting into Windows 10 after installation, I have noticed that my PC did start running slightly better after installing the Anniversary Update, your mileage may vary though.

wazkelly
17-08-2016, 07:37 PM
Upgraded my tablet a couple of months ago and today at work had the lap top done remotely from our Townsville office. Took almost 2 and a half hours???? Lucky I wasn't too busy at the time.

For corporate users needing to connect with other corporate users Windows 10 is not so user friendly just at the moment. We had to change default apps back from Edge to the last IE version plus amend setting to previous devices for media player, music & pictures. Initially viewing Adobe PDF's was a problem too until we performed a fix for that. I was mainly a passenger watching it all unfold in front of my eyes via Teamviewer so no further clues on what the IT guys were doing.

DrNomis_44
20-04-2017, 03:28 AM
Just done the latest update of Windows 10 to the new Creator's Update, you can get it sooner rather than later by going to this Microsoft webpage and then click on the link to download the Windows Upgrade Assistant:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features